Post by harmony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:37 pm
harmony wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:08 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:26 am

Cool.

And I hope he sits every day in favor of Dylan Moore who has an .861 OPS over his last 47 AB's to go alongside 7 stolen bases and solid glove work.
Dylan Moore provides a valuable backup when a team’s frontline shortstop is sidelined.

A prudent Little League coach would rely on the cited small sample for Dylan Moore.

However, the Mariners navigate the Big Leagues awash with years of data.

The sample for Moore should be given no greater weight than the sample for J.P. Crawford’s first 42 at-bats this season.
So why did they DFA Lamb after 34 PAs??? He put up a .770 OPS with the Dodgers and a .844 OPS with AZ in huge 635 PA sample. I guess they must have a Little League coach making the roster decisions.... :shock:
Ask the Seattle Mariners front office but please consider ...

Based on years of data, ZiPS and Steamer give Jake Lamb rest-of-season wRC+ projections of 91 and 88:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jake- ... osition=3B

Based on years of data, ZiPS and Steamer give Abraham Toro rest-of-season wRC+ projections of 93 and 102:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/abrah ... tion=2B/3B

Lamb would become a free agent at the season's end; Toro, who has four more years of team control, got an audition for next year's team.

The Mariners apparently did not want to carry both Lamb and Toro.

D-train

Re: Players who can not be still on this team next season

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:36 pm

harmony wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:15 pm
D-train wrote:
harmony wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Dylan Moore provides a valuable backup when a team’s frontline shortstop is sidelined.

A prudent Little League coach would rely on the cited small sample for Dylan Moore.

However, the Mariners navigate the Big Leagues awash with years of data.

The sample for Moore should be given no greater weight than the sample for J.P. Crawford’s first 42 at-bats this season.
So why did they DFA Lamb after 34 PAs??? He put up a .770 OPS with the Dodgers and a .844 OPS with AZ in huge 635 PA sample. I guess they must have a Little League coach making the roster decisions.... :shock:

Based on years of data, ZiPS and Steamer give Jake Lamb rest-of-season wRC+ projections of 91 and 88:

Based on years of data, ZiPS and Steamer give Abraham Toro rest-of-season wRC+ projections of 93 and 102:

Lamb would become a free agent at the season's end; Toro, who has four more years of team control, got an audition for next year's team.

You are honestly going to go off of PREseason projections instead of actual production?

FYI Toro could have been sent back to Tacoma and kept on the roster.

FYI Toro has a .204 BA and a .616 OPS in almost 900 career PAs including a horrific .177 BA and .544 OPS this season.

FYI Lamb, despite getting just 34 sporadic PAs in 46 days suppressing his over all number still has a .216 BA and a .707 OPS on the season....
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:36 pm
harmony wrote:
D-train wrote:

You are honestly going to go off of PREseason projections instead of actual production?

FYI Toro has a .204 BA and a .616 OPS in almost 900 career PAs including a horrific .177 BA and .544 OPS this season.

FYI Lamb, despite getting just 34 sporadic PAs in 46 days suppressing his over all number still has a .216 BA and a .707 OPS on the season....
He's not referring to PREseason projections.

It must be the Gertie pics too. :lol:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Interesting
.Graduation TLDR: The enigmatic Toro has the tools and statistical track record befitting an everyday player but his swing and throwing can look odd, leading to some doubt as to their true efficacy
TLDR stands for too long, didn't read?

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:53 pm

D-train wrote:
harmony wrote:
D-train wrote:

No preseason projections were cited in that post.

Think of the broker who buys high (the hot player) and sells low (the slumping player) on a stock with an established record. That broker is not managing my portfolio.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:21 pm

I'd like to throw in some pitchers into this conversation. Gonzales needs to go, for one. Flexen probably has to go to because I don't think he has minor league options, but he might. I don't see a way for him to beat out the likes of Hancock, Brash or Dollard for the 5 spot.

Looking at the current pen, I'd like to see it dropped to 7 (Servais should take a hard look at the innings and realize he hardly uses the 8, certainly not ever the 9) so Festa, Murfee and Brash leave. Retain Boyd, get Borucki and Sadler healthy. Sewald, Munoz, Castillo, Sadler, Borucki, Swanson, Boyd

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:35 pm

harmony wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:53 pm
D-train wrote:
harmony wrote:

No preseason projections were cited in that post.

Think of the broker who buys high (the hot player) and sells low (the slumping player) on a stock with an established record. That broker is not managing my portfolio.
My bad, I missed the "rest of the season".

I never buy stocks close to their 52 week high or sell stocks in a down market but I also don't throw good money after bad. Thousands of people bought Enron stock at $20 and $10 and $5 and $1 thinking they were buying low and getting a great deal before they finally lost it all.

There is no projection system in the world that I would rely on if it projected Toro hitting better or even equal to Lamb if Lamb was able to play 3B every day.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:21 pm
I'd like to throw in some pitchers into this conversation. Gonzales needs to go, for one. Flexen probably has to go to because I don't think he has minor league options, but he might. I don't see a way for him to beat out the likes of Hancock, Brash or Dollard for the 5 spot.

Looking at the current pen, I'd like to see it dropped to 7 (Servais should take a hard look at the innings and realize he hardly uses the 8, certainly not ever the 9) so Festa, Murfee and Brash leave. Retain Boyd, get Borucki and Sadler healthy. Sewald, Munoz, Castillo, Sadler, Borucki, Swanson, Boyd
You're living in fantasy land if you think Servais will go with fewer than 8 relievers. It's just not going to happen.

And as a follow-up question, are any major league teams using just 7 relievers on a regular basis? I think 8 is standard now, so it isn't just Servais.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:41 am

The Mariners ranking among MLB teams:

Overall-
Singles: 28th
Doubles: 26th
Homeruns: 10th

Home games-
Singles: 30th
Doubles: 30th
Homeruns: 14th

Away games-
Singles: 12th
Doubles: 14th
Homeruns: 5th

Not just homeruns that get killed by T-Mobile. Sure, you can (try to) explain away the lack of doubles with "the air", but that doesn't explain away the severe drop in singles.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 1&sort=6,d

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:05 am

bpj wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:41 am
The Mariners ranking among MLB teams:

Overall-
Singles: 28th
Doubles: 26th
Homeruns: 10th

Home games-
Singles: 30th
Doubles: 30th
Homeruns: 14th

Away games-
Singles: 12th
Doubles: 14th
Homeruns: 5th

Not just homeruns that get killed by T-Mobile. Sure, you can (try to) explain away the lack of doubles with "the air", but that doesn't explain away the severe drop in singles.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 1&sort=6,d
Batting Average-
Home: 29th
Away: 17th

OBP-
Home: 25th
Away: 7th

They have no problem drawing walks. They just can't get singles or doubles at home.

I suspect the fielding percentage (and/or chances) is very high at T-Mobile.

Something causes the ball to slow down or be smooth enough that the infielders make more outs, and it doesn't roll past outfielders allowing guys to take extra bases.

Which leads me to believe it rolls slower. Taller or thicker grass. Higher moisture content in the grass and/or dirt due to the marine air. No idea what's actually causing it. But it's been 5 years since they re-did the grass and it's been 5 years of singles and doubles being destroyed. About time to put 2 and 2 together.