Players who can not be still on this team next season

DavidGee24

Players who can not be still on this team next season

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Out of guys who are currently on the MLB roster, not including Kelenic and Torrens who are band-aids.

FRAZIER: we totally got Figged (named after Chone Figgins) on this one. Last year had a career year just like Figgins did the year before we signed him, then had his worst season with us. Keep him next year and he's virtually guaranteed to hit under the Mendoza Line.

TORO: not only has he totally sucked this year, but that crappy throw of his in Oakland killed France's season. He's been worth 1 1/2 bad players.

WINKER: he hit against the shift last year and put up a .949 OPS so that argument holds no water. Doing away with the shift isn't going to suddenly make him a doubles and homers machine again. He can't field and he can't run. Plus, remember the thread I did on guys who crap the bed their first year with us, only Austin Jackson ever bounced back...and that's a low bar to clear. It's just too bad that Winker's trade value totally sucks right now.

CRAWFORD: he's in his prime and he can't hit. He goes to all fields so the shift has no effect on him. There are probably a fair number of teams that would want to trade for him.

HANIGER: he's not hitting, he's not healthy, and he's not getting any younger. There are probably plenty of better options in free agency.

SANTANA: even with 15 home runs his OPS is only .710, and it's very hard to see him duplicating the power numbers next year.

That's pretty much it. I like our entire pitching staff, even Festa and Diego Castillo are decent.
Last edited by DavidGee24 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael K.

Re: Players who can not be still on this team next season

Post by Michael K. » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Can't really disagree. Thought I wonder if his relationship with Julio and his pop makes Santana a candidate to keep on the bench and possibly DH once or twice a week. Depending on who we add.

I agree with several on this board though that are tired of our DH's being dogshit. The name hitter is in the damn position, go find one.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:55 pm

Santana has Kd three times vs. this AAA pitcher. Total lighting in a bottle. Let Julio's GF be the ball girl and she can bring him even more happiness between innings.
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 pm

All can be back with the Mariners next season.

The issue is whether those player should return to Seattle.

J.P. Crawford and Jesse Winker are the only players mentioned who are under contract for 2023. Crawford almost certainly will be back and Winker is likely to return as well.

The reason the Mariners could find a trade partner for Crawford is that the one-time Gold Glove winner has surplus value with four seasons left under his five-year, $51 million contract. Even Winker has at least neutral value with one year and $8.25 million remaining on his contract:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/478/

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:41 am

harmony wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 pm
All can be back with the Mariners next season.

The issue is whether those player should return to Seattle.

J.P. Crawford and Jesse Winker are the only players mentioned who are under contract for 2023. Crawford almost certainly will be back and Winker is likely to return as well.

The reason the Mariners could find a trade partner for Crawford is that the one-time Gold Glove winner has surplus value with four seasons left under his five-year, $51 million contract. Even Winker has at least neutral value with one year and $8.25 million remaining on his contract:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/478/
JP’s value is so surplus that they sat him in favor of Dylan Moore against a righty to add a jolt to the offense during a playoff run.

Don’t think you could trade him for a sack of peanuts at this point given that he’s going to be making $10 million a year for the next 4 years.

Glove declining. Bat still terrible.

But I’m sure you’ll still refer to his April generated WAR as the impressive and say “FWIW.”

ice99

Post by ice99 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:16 am

JP "is dealing with some leg/knee issues."

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseb ... -soreness/

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:26 am

ice99 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:16 am

Cool.

And I hope he sits every day in favor of Dylan Moore who has an .861 OPS over his last 47 AB's to go alongside 7 stolen bases and solid glove work.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:43 am

ice99 wrote:

I'd trade JP for Nick Allen straight up in the offseason if money was no object for the A's.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:26 am
ice99 wrote:

Cool.

And I hope he sits every day in favor of Dylan Moore who has an .861 OPS over his last 47 AB's to go alongside 7 stolen bases and solid glove work.
Dylan Moore provides a valuable backup when a team’s frontline shortstop is sidelined.

A prudent Little League coach would rely on the cited small sample for Dylan Moore.

However, the Mariners navigate the Big Leagues awash with years of data.

The sample for Moore should be given no greater weight than the sample for J.P. Crawford’s first 42 at-bats this season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:37 pm

harmony wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:08 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:26 am
ice99 wrote:

Cool.

Dylan Moore provides a valuable backup when a team’s frontline shortstop is sidelined.

A prudent Little League coach would rely on the cited small sample for Dylan Moore.

However, the Mariners navigate the Big Leagues awash with years of data.

The sample for Moore should be given no greater weight than the sample for J.P. Crawford’s first 42 at-bats this season.
So why did they DFA Lamb after 34 PAs??? He put up a .770 OPS with the Dodgers and a .844 OPS with AZ in huge 635 PA sample. I guess they must have a Little League coach making the roster decisions.... :shock:
dt