harmony

Re: My FA Suggestion

Post by harmony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:57 pm
bpj wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:50 pm
Suarez has played SS before.

Put whichever of France or Suarez plays better second base defense at 2B and let the other man 3B, then add two good, cheap, readily available bats at 1B and DH.
Oh no much better to sign Frazier to swing his toothpick bat at cannon balls...
Depends on how much weight front offices place on Adam Frazier's 80 OPS+ in 571 plate appearances this year or his 103 OPS+ in 2,443 MLB plate appearances before this season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:16 pm

harmony wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:11 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:57 pm
bpj wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:50 pm
Suarez has played SS before.

Put whichever of France or Suarez plays better second base defense at 2B and let the other man 3B, then add two good, cheap, readily available bats at 1B and DH.
Oh no much better to sign Frazier to swing his toothpick bat at cannon balls...
Depends on how much weight front offices place on Adam Frazier's 80 OPS+ in 571 plate appearances this year or his 103 OPS+ in 2,443 MLB plate appearances before this season.
All he's going to be 31 next year so hopefully they're not dumb enough to focus on his stats when he was in his prime
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:35 pm
bpj wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 pm
The Mariners are pretty likely to give Kelenic RF.

They're pretty likely to put Tom Murphy at DH, he had a higher OPS than Julio when he got hurt.

That leaves LF, 2B and/or DH depending what they do with Winker and Murphy..

Already feels like they're painted into a corner because they're not likely to pay up for a good hitting SS/2B.

They almost have to get rid of Winker if they want to add a bat. Which, knowing the Mariners, maybe they don't.
There are literally no good hitting second baseman available I looked at every free agent and every trade possibility. There are zero
Yeah, it's crazy how many shitty players are at that position right now. One guy I wonder about though for a trade is Gleyber Torres. It seems like the Yankees don't like him all that much, but he looks like a pretty good player to me. I also feel like it's worth keeping an eye on what's going on in Minnesota with an eye to swiping Polanco and/or Arraez if they decide to blow it up, which at this point they probably should.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:26 pm

Good ideas. I didn't think of the yankees' sellers but yeah the twins definitely should be
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:47 pm

Guys, Josh Bell has posted a .600 OPS w. San Diego... worse than JP Crawford over that span.

I'm not sure I trust paying good cash for that.

Torres is a good player... but I'm not sure the M's want to pay him the cash he's due. He's gonna make a lot over the next 2 years and he's fresh off of 2 pretty bad years.

Is $10-$15 million per year the next 2 years worth a guy with a .700 OPS floor? Idk.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:53 pm

harmony wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:44 pm
ice99 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:30 pm
The M's have power RH hitters JRod, Suarez, and France. The LH/switch power hitters are Cal. Maybe Kelenic if he get his act together. I'd rather save the money for a LH/switch power hitter.
Brandon Nimmo could provide a high-OBP, lower-power lefthanded bat at a steep price but obvious flaws should bring down the free agent prices on Michael Conforto, Joey Gallo, Joc Pederson and, if non-tendered by the Dodgers as speculated, Cody Bellinger.
Maybe Conforto on a one year prove it, plus a multiyear option. Yes, it doesn't seem to be much in the OF, other than Judge. Joc Pederson seems like mainly like a DH.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:47 pm
Guys, Josh Bell has posted a .600 OPS w. San Diego... worse than JP Crawford over that span.

I'm not sure I trust paying good cash for that.

Torres is a good player... but I'm not sure the M's want to pay him the cash he's due. He's gonna make a lot over the next 2 years and he's fresh off of 2 pretty bad years.

Is $10-$15 million per year the next 2 years worth a guy with a .700 OPS floor? Idk.
With bell I think I would take it as a blessing in disguise in San Diego. Even Soto has sucked in San diego. Means he won't get his big a deal as he would have
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 pm

I like the idea of Bell at 1B and moving France into more of a super-utility role - DH, 1B, 2B, LF, PH. My only concern with Bell is that if he's cratering in San Diego, what will TMO do to him? But I would probably still go after him. I wouldn't get into a bidding war though.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:04 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 pm
I like the idea of Bell at 1B and moving France into more of a super-utility role - DH, 1B, 2B, LF, PH. My only concern with Bell is that if he's cratering in San Diego, what will TMO do to him? But I would probably still go after him. I wouldn't get into a bidding war though.
The alternative in the lineup (this season) was guys like Toro and Torrens, so at least his downside is probably .700's OPS instead of .500's.

Or, maybe, like Frazier after a bad second half in San Diego, it would mean he'd be terrible here.

That's why Dipoto is supposed to be earning the big bucks, their analysis should be finding out why a player was good and if that plays in Seattle.

Frazier, Aoki, Jarrod Dyson, etc., whatever they "supposedly"- air quotes- brought to the table didn't translate to production.

Dipoto needs to figure it out, that's his job. Seems like most of the time we'd be better off if he'd done nothing instead of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 am

With the shift going bye bye I don’t like France at 2nd with his limited range