2B trade proposal

Big_Maple

Re: 2B trade proposal

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:20 pm

Seems like this belongs in this thread. Corey Brock recently proposed a trade with the Jays for a second baseman. He suggest targeting Santiago Espinal. Here is the trade simulator version of what this trade would look like:

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 9.16.06 AM.png

Here is what he says about the potential trade:

"Let’s be honest: The Mariners have a type.

They go on and on about the virtues of controlling or dominating the strike zone and they’re not wrong for doing so, honestly. Offensively, this equates to more walks, fewer strikeouts. They like bat-to-ball guys (if they can get them). And they are big on run prevention.

Friends, Espinal would be a nice fit — and a nice start — to kick off this offseason. Let me tell you why.

Espinal is 27 but is coming off a 2.3 fWAR season. He can play shortstop and third base as well but the Mariners would slide him into second base and let him go. Espinal is a .280 hitter in just over 800 major-league plate appearances and a .286 hitter in the minors.

He has a 14 percent strikeout rate and an 8 percent walk rate for his career. And he is a very good defender wherever you put him. How good, you ask?

Espinal was plus-four in defensive runs saved this past season. Two years ago, he played third base for the Jays and was a plus-eight. Plus-eight is elite.

Is this the sexy move you were hoping for? No, probably not. Will it make the Mariners better in 2023? It should, though a lot of that depends on what else the team does. This is just a start.

What you’ve done by adding Espinal — who will likely make a shade over $2 million in 2023 — is add a steady bat toward the bottom of the order.

I think adding an everyday player you control for four more years is a good way to maximize Flexen’s value. Flexen will be a free agent after 2023, so adding Murfee, who had a breakout year in 2022, to the deal makes sense from Toronto’s end even if it leaves a hole in Seattle’s bullpen.

But remember, the Mariners hope to get Casey Sadler back sometime in 2023 and there are ways to cover for Murfee’s loss moving forward. The Mariners have their warts like any other team. Assembling a capable bullpen isn’t one of them.

Melean is a 22-year-old righty who had a 3.34 ERA in two minor-league stops in 2022. He has a plus slider and changeup and maybe the Mariners’ pitching group can coax more velocity out of him down the road.

Either way, he’s a lottery ticket. Espinal, however, isn’t. He does a lot of the things the Mariners — and good other teams — value."

NOTE: just saw this in the Hot Stove thread. Sorry for the repost!

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:24 pm

Espinal and JP at 2B and SS and we can't have a real DH. Down to Corner OFers. One of which they prob fill with Mitch or JK so down to one spot for a real bat. Exciting times.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:35 pm

If this proposal was for Bo Bichette, I'd take it in a New York minute. Espinal seems like a younger Frazier.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:24 pm
Espinal and JP at 2B and SS and we can't have a real DH. Down to Corner OFers. One of which they prob fill with Mitch or JK so down to one spot for a real bat. Exciting times.
Sodio Mojo's suggestions for replacing Mitch. Not much new here: Nimmo, Yoshida and Benintendi.

https://sodomojo.com/2022/11/08/ideas-r ... eadership/

The only thing that surprised me was the rumor that the Rockies might be all-in on Nimmo. I read somewhere that the Rockies never rebuild - they just add pieces. If true, adding Nimmo would help their OF. But given their record last year, I'd tear it down and start all over - and I certainly wouldn't expect that a 6 year contract to Nimmo would suddenly put them back in contention.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:19 am

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:43 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:24 pm
Sodio Mojo's suggestions for replacing Mitch. Not much new here: Nimmo, Yoshida and Benintendi.

https://sodomojo.com/2022/11/08/ideas-r ... eadership/

The only thing that surprised me was the rumor that the Rockies might be all-in on Nimmo. I read somewhere that the Rockies never rebuild - they just add pieces. If true, adding Nimmo would help their OF. But given their record last year, I'd tear it down and start all over - and I certainly wouldn't expect that a 6 year contract to Nimmo would suddenly put them back in contention.
Who would you go with here?

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:54 pm

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:19 am
Who would you go with here?
Thanks for asking!!

In this mix there's Nimmo, Benintendi and Yoshida. And of course renegotiating a short contract with Mitch (since we aren't giving him an QO) is a fourth. If these were our only 4 options, I would go with Nimmo in a heartbeat. He's a solid defensive outfielder and can play CF or RF. This may allow Scott to move JRod and Nimmo between these 2 positions (JRod played mostly RF in the minors, and I don't know if sticking him back there even rotationally would help him or not, but we have that option).

Nimmo is also a guy who you can stick at the top of the order which takes a little pressure off JRod, and Nimmo's slash line was .276/.368/.435 last year, and he led the Mets with 71 walks. So the guy is a legitimate top of the order/get on base kind of guy.

I am less crazy about the other 2 options presented for a bunch of reasons. And of course there are tons of other option we could pursue besides these 4 guys. Even so, my top 2 choices to fill RF next year would be Nimmo and/or Reynolds.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Actually, the M's pretty much match the 2022 Phillies, they acquire someone like Kolten Wong or better for 2B.

Here are their stats over the last 3 years.

Comparing offense only.

Harper vs JRod, Harper gets the nod.
Schwarber vs. France, about the same
Haniger vs. Realmuto, Realmuto gets the nod
Winker vs. Hoskins, same
Suarez vs. Castellanos, Castellanos gets the nod
Wong vs. Segura, Wong gets the nod
Cal vs. Bohm, Cal gets the nod
JP vs. Stott, JP gets the nod

Dylan (DH/Utility rotation) vs. Marsh, Dylan gets the nod

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=18,d

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:55 pm

Hopefully we can win more than 87 games next season...
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:56 pm

The M's had better team defense. The Phillies were leading in the WS. The M's were swept by the Astros in the playoffs.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 pm

I am not in-on Espinal.

His early numbers look like Ketel's but Ketel is 3" taller and you can't expect every guys that hits 1 or 2 in his 1st year or 2 to be a 30 HR hitter.