Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:13 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:39 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:37 pm
This site is starving for baseball. We are posting the same article multiple multiple times days after it came out. What a slog offseason.
It is similar to the lockout days where the molasses was running wild.
Yeah, that an even worse beating. Thank you for reminding me of that. It definitely puts this season into a little more perspective. All these players waiting for that BIG juicy payday.

Houston really wanted to shore up that 1B position. $20M seems steep for a player Abreu's age. But then again, if he can replicate his numbers and play solid defense, then Houston is getting exactly what they want.

You're turn Jerry.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:16 pm

harmony wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:29 pm
A Pinstripe Alley blogger examines Mitch Haniger as a potential Yankee trade target:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022/11/ ... yer-target
The Yankees, however, should not be that team; that money should instead be used for a more reliable outfielder, like Aaron Judge.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:54 pm

I hope if they sign Nimmo, it won't put too much pressure on JK to perform. lol
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:37 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:54 pm
Meanwhile we got Gott! :lol:

But it says we are in on Conforto along with the Astros and Benentendi. :idea:

They got a huge upgrade from 1B. We need to counter with more big guns.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:54 pm

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:48 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:37 am
D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:54 pm
Meanwhile we got Gott! :lol:

But it says we are in on Conforto along with the Astros and Benentendi. :idea:

They got a huge upgrade from 1B. We need to counter with more big guns.
Would the Astros be comfortable pushing their payroll well north of $200 million? Abreu + Nimmo would put them somewhere around $205 million right now. Then they'd have to add another arm... so $225 million?

Idk.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:58 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:54 pm
This frustrates me to no end. I have suspected that JD would not go after any of the FAs our there because, after all, he's trader Jerry.

I'm not saying "don't trade", but I am saying the logic of filling holes through trades rather than FA all the time makes no sense. Does he think he's saving money by not going after FA? That makes no sense - if you go after a cheaper player through trade (like Luis Castillo) and then sign them to an expensive extension (like, five-years and $108 million) - how is that saving money? And you gave up top tier talent to get them and they cost you just as much in the long run.

Shouldn't he go after at least one, big name FA rather than trying to cobble the team together through trades alone?

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:29 pm

The Astros, in their building phase, mainly developed and traded for talent, did they not?

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:40 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:29 pm
The Astros, in their building phase, mainly developed and traded for talent, did they not?
Are we still in the building phase?

And yes - the Stros do mostly trade or sign and develop, but they can also go after some big names in FA. They landed Verlander and Brantley. They just signed Abreu. There's rumors they are pursuing Nimmo.

My point was simply that there is a time to trade (which Jerry does well and often), and there's a time to go after a big name in FA. He should likely sign either a COF or one of the big name SS, but it seems as though the M's are not going after anyone.

That's all.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:55 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:40 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:29 pm
Are we still in the building phase?

And yes - the Stros do mostly trade or sign and develop, but they can also go after some big names in FA. They landed Verlander and Brantley. They just signed Abreu. There's rumors they are pursuing Nimmo.

My point was simply that there is a time to trade (which Jerry does well and often), and there's a time to go after a big name in FA. He should likely sign either a COF or one of the big name SS, but it seems as though the M's are not going after anyone.

That's all.
In my opinion they are still building. The lineup is sort of patchwork other than Julio and Cal and maybe France. This is why I’m not keen on them trading away young hitters. That’s an argument actually for signing a free agent or two.