Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Juliooooo

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:30 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:11 pm
If the Phillies do sign one of the 4SS, will they look to trade Bryson Stott?
Do they have a 2B? Segura is a FA, so I imagine they just let him walk
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:32 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:30 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:11 pm
If the Phillies do sign one of the 4SS, will they look to trade Bryson Stott?
Do they have a 2B? Segura is a FA, so I imagine they just let him walk
Move Stott to 2B or will they ask the FA SSs to move to 2B for the Rookie. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:22 pm

Is it just me or do the M's appear to be in more stories nationally vs. years past?

A few examples: MLBTR last week alone:
M's looking to add LHH 2B
M's & stros in-on Conforto
M's getting calls on Brash
M's had Marco/Gallo 3 team deadline
M's on Nimmo/Benintendi
M's want another OF
Got Gott

There has been a ton of stuff on other sites. But it just did not appear to me that in years past there was much if any of the national guys taking note of them.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:07 am

I saw that there was a video that someone made saying that the fact that all 30GMS and many of the top FAs will be in the building for the 1st time since 2019 he expects a swift week of transactions to ensue.

I think we lost out on the best FA hitter not named "Judge" and that is the 2020 MVP Abreu to our biggest rival.

I saw on another video the M's were seeking in trader Jerry world a left handed 2B and a right handed OF.
And, I could not help but think Abreu and his 134 OPS+ career and 133 2022 OPS+ would have looked very impressive as a 1B/DH. And I would have been just fine with a run-off of Haggerty, Moore, TT, JK, Marlow for that last position.

TB and Brandon Lowe would make for a potentially huge upgrade: In 2021 he hit 39 Bombs 140 and 154 OPS+ in 20 and 21 before a 102 OPS+ last year. He has a 130 Career OPS+ but B-Ref has him as a .783 OPS hitter which would be in the 115 OPS+ range. Brandon was injured in ST in what was called a Low-Back stress reaction.They tried to rest him but he never recovered even after a 2 month off rest. He came back and performed for some games but eventually was shut down Aug 26 for 2 weeks before a 4 game stretch in Sept. before being shut down for the rest of the year.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:21 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:07 am
I saw that there was a video that someone made saying that the fact that all 30GMS and many of the top FAs will be in the building for the 1st time since 2019 he expects a swift week of transactions to ensue.

I think we lost out on the best FA hitter not named "Judge" and that is the 2020 MVP Abreu to our biggest rival.

I saw on another video the M's were seeking in trader Jerry world a left handed 2B and a right handed OF.
And, I could not help but think Abreu and his 134 OPS+ career and 133 2022 OPS+ would have looked very impressive as a 1B/DH. And I would have been just fine with a run-off of Haggerty, Moore, TT, JK, Marlow for that last position.

TB and Brandon Lowe would make for a potentially huge upgrade: In 2021 he hit 39 Bombs 140 and 154 OPS+ in 20 and 21 before a 102 OPS+ last year. He has a 130 Career OPS+ but B-Ref has him as a .783 OPS hitter which would be in the 115 OPS+ range. Brandon was injured in ST in what was called a Low-Back stress reaction. They tried to rest him but he never recovered even after a 2 month off rest. He came back and performed for some games but eventually was shut down Aug 26 for 2 weeks before a 4 game stretch in Sept. before being shut down for the rest of the year.
Hmm, Maybe he is more available because maybe he now has debilitating back problems that won't ever fully go away. I looked at his stats at times he had an .800 or .900 OPS and then he slides down to the shitter. 2months off 1st 15 games back swing a .983 OPS to get back to .800 on the season and then the slide back down.

Hmm, Maybe the "Platoon bat" and rotate players through the DH might work well enough for keeping a productive Lowe in the lineup. I would not have a problem hitting a guy at DH 2 or 3 times a week to keep him as a part time 2B with an .800 or .900 OPS.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:19 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:21 am
Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:07 am

TB and Brandon Lowe would make for a potentially huge upgrade: In 2021 he hit 39 Bombs 140 and 154 OPS+ in 20 and 21 before a 102 OPS+ last year. He has a 130 Career OPS+ but B-Ref has him as a .783 OPS hitter which would be in the 115 OPS+ range. Brandon was injured in ST in what was called a Low-Back stress reaction. They tried to rest him but he never recovered even after a 2 month off rest. He came back and performed for some games but eventually was shut down Aug 26 for 2 weeks before a 4 game stretch in Sept. before being shut down for the rest of the year.
Hmm, Maybe he is more available because maybe he now has debilitating back problems that won't ever fully go away. I looked at his stats at times he had an .800 or .900 OPS and then he slides down to the shitter. 2months off 1st 15 games back swing a .983 OPS to get back to .800 on the season and then the slide back down.

Hmm, Maybe the "Platoon bat" and rotate players through the DH might work well enough for keeping a productive Lowe in the lineup. I would not have a problem hitting a guy at DH 2 or 3 times a week to keep him as a part time 2B with an .800 or .900 OPS.
The Mariners already have a LH hitting 2B. His name is JP Crawford. Now go out and sign a SS that's worth a damn in this tiny window of contention and be done with it.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:39 pm

Here's an interesting article (interesting in the sense that the hot stove has been icy cold, and so I am feeding myself a steady diet of speculation rather than actual transactions).

A dozen executives and "MLB insiders" were polled about a variety of offseason topics. I'll let you all read the article if you're interested (I don't think there's a paywall) - but what jumped out at me is that none of the 4 top tier SS were projected to be snatched up by the M's. In fact, the Mariners weren't listed by any of the insiders, at all, on any of the questions asked.

Something else that caught my attention was that a couple of insiders speculated that the most notable player to be traded this offseason would be Bryan Reynolds. Do not abandon hope, y'all! Then again, another speculated Frenando Tatis Jr. would be the most notable, so ... meh.

It's not much, but maybe this will help tide you over till the winter meetings next week!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35139041

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:56 pm

Another Japanese pitcher is posted:
B-Ref: https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... jina000shi

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shintaro_Fujinami

From his Wikipedia article: Fujinami has a large frame for a pitcher, listed at 6 ft 6 in and 220 lb. With a three-quarters delivery, he throws a fastball topping out at 101 mph, a splitter, and a solid mid-80's slider. He mostly uses his fastball-slider combination in games.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:39 pm
Here's an interesting article (interesting in the sense that the hot stove has been icy cold, and so I am feeding myself a steady diet of speculation rather than actual transactions).

A dozen executives and "MLB insiders" were polled about a variety of offseason topics. I'll let you all read the article if you're interested (I don't think there's a paywall) - but what jumped out at me is that none of the 4 top tier SS were projected to be snatched up by the M's. In fact, the Mariners weren't listed by any of the insiders, at all, on any of the questions asked.

Something else that caught my attention was that a couple of insiders speculated that the most notable player to be traded this offseason would be Bryan Reynolds. Do not abandon hope, y'all! Then again, another speculated Frenando Tatis Jr. would be the most notable, so ... meh.

It's not much, but maybe this will help tide you over till the winter meetings next week!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35139041
How is it surprising that we're not going to sign any of the short stops? I've been saying that for weeks if not months
dt