Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

D-train

Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 pm

Obviously if there are any significant M's transactions by all means start a new thread but for any rumors, deals by other teams, ideas or general off season news please post it here. Go M's!
hot-stove-league.jpg
hot-stove-league.jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
dt

D-train

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:39 pm

2023 Power Rankings. We are 10th, seems reasonable..

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/349 ... early-no-1
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:38 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:52 pm

This is pretty good look on FAs for the M's with two exceptions. They talk about Xander being happy to move around the INF which is complete BS. He is literally on record saying he won't do it. Also no mention of Bell who is a much younger version of the two guys mentioned as DH options. Also being a Switch hitter is far preferable to aging RH hitters.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1687763/ ... gets-2022/
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:20 pm

In the SeattleSports.com piece, ESPN columnist Jon Morosi addresses changes in shift rules, mentioning three free agents targeted by forum contributors:
“Is Joey Gallo all of a sudden an All-Star? I don’t know. No one knows,” Morosi said of the slugging outfielder who has been heavily shifted against and strikes out a ton. “Is (outfielder) Joc Peterson going to win the triple crown because people aren’t going to be shifting on him anymore? He’s a free agent, too … All of a sudden, Gallo and Peterson (may) become way different players. That to me is going to be the secret sauce of this entire offseason.”

“You might look at a guy and say ‘Wait a minute, his numbers make no sense.’ And guess what? He’s gonna be a better player next year because the shift is out of play, including potentially someone like (outfielder) Michael Conforto, who, as you know, has some northwest roots himself and is bouncing back from injury,” Morosi added, referring to the Redmond product who sat out 2022 while recovering from shoulder surgery. “So there could be some value found in places that we haven’t even thought of yet, which is why I love the baseball offseason.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:31 am

harmony wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:20 pm
In the SeattleSports.com piece, ESPN columnist Jon Morosi addresses changes in shift rules, mentioning three free agents targeted by forum contributors:
“Is Joey Gallo all of a sudden an All-Star? I don’t know. No one knows,” Morosi said of the slugging outfielder who has been heavily shifted against and strikes out a ton. “Is (outfielder) Joc Peterson going to win the triple crown because people aren’t going to be shifting on him anymore? He’s a free agent, too … All of a sudden, Gallo and Peterson (may) become way different players. That to me is going to be the secret sauce of this entire offseason.”

“You might look at a guy and say ‘Wait a minute, his numbers make no sense.’ And guess what? He’s gonna be a better player next year because the shift is out of play, including potentially someone like (outfielder) Michael Conforto, who, as you know, has some northwest roots himself and is bouncing back from injury,” Morosi added, referring to the Redmond product who sat out 2022 while recovering from shoulder surgery. “So there could be some value found in places that we haven’t even thought of yet, which is why I love the baseball offseason.”
I posted that exact piece in the post right above this one. Are you messing with my now??? lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:32 am

First deal of the off season. Fast Eddy is now very Rich Eddy. He should send Jerry a Christmas card for moving him to the pen...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/349 ... llion-deal
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:49 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:31 am
harmony wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:20 pm

I posted that exact piece in the post right above this one. Are you messing with my now??? lol
Tell me writer didn't misspell "Pederson" and it got through editing?

But yes. Joc could very much benefit from the lack of shift.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:26 am

OF name that doesn't get talked about much but would be a fit:

Teoscar Hernandez: .267/.316/.491/.807 slash in 2022. Is set to make $14.5 million in final year of control/arbitration. Had a .919 OPS in 2020... .870 OPS in 2021.

Here a trade on MLBTV:

For some reason Blue Jays fans love this trade and Mariner fans don't. I'd do this trade in a second. He's a better Haniger.

Rumors are the Jays tried to offload him before the All Star break but couldn't reach a deal w. the Marlins.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:42 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:26 am
OF name that doesn't get talked about much but would be a fit:

Teoscar Hernandez: .267/.316/.491/.807 slash in 2022. Is set to make $14.5 million in final year of control/arbitration. Had a .919 OPS in 2020... .870 OPS in 2021.

Here a trade on MLBTV:

For some reason Blue Jays fans love this trade and Mariner fans don't. I'd do this trade in a second. He's a better Haniger.

Rumors are the Jays tried to offload him before the All Star break but couldn't reach a deal w. the Marlins.
Why would Blue Jays fans be in favor of this trade?