Carlos Santana just signed with Pittsburgh. $6.7M

Thank you for all you're clutch hits last year Carlos! 🙏

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... ntana.html

Pharmabro

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:16 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:55 pm
I was thinking the Mariners did Mitch a favor by not offering him a QO.

But now he's stuck between a rock and a hard place because the best contracts he's probably being offered are 3/39 type deals or 1 year prove-it contracts.

The problem with the prove it contract is since the Mariners didn't offer him a QO he could be hit with it next season if he takes the 1 year deal.

There aren't many favorable outcomes for Mitch to hit a big payday he was probably dreaming about.
He could always have that written into the contract like what Flexen had with the M's

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:18 am

I spotted this after I looked at Santana
2. Kodai Senga Meeting With Teams

Right-hander Koudai Senga has drawn widespread interest across MLB as he prepares to make the jump from Japan this offseason. Recently, he has begun taking meetings with teams, including the Padres, Mets, and, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, the Rangers. Those three teams are far from the only ones with known interest in Senga, however, as the Cubs, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays are just a few of the teams who have been connected to Senga this offseason. Senga’s preference is reportedly to play in a big market with a chance to win right now, so it’s no wonder that the teams that have been most aggressively connected to him are the larger markets in the sport. Now that the offseason slowdown that comes with Thanksgiving is out of the way, it’s possible we will begin to see Senga meeting with more teams in the coming days.

That may not be the best news for the M's on the Senga front but it may be pushing them to go for Rodon or push some money after Chaffin and go for a premium guy like Turner vs Wong.

My .02$

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:31 am

Question for you guys-

How many more wins do you think a full season of starts of Luis Castillo gets the team compared to a full season of starts of Marco Gonzales?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:39 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:18 am
I spotted this after I looked at Santana
2. Kodai Senga Meeting With Teams

Right-hander Koudai Senga has drawn widespread interest across MLB as he prepares to make the jump from Japan this offseason. Recently, he has begun taking meetings with teams, including the Padres, Mets, and, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, the Rangers. Those three teams are far from the only ones with known interest in Senga, however, as the Cubs, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays are just a few of the teams who have been connected to Senga this offseason. Senga’s preference is reportedly to play in a big market with a chance to win right now, so it’s no wonder that the teams that have been most aggressively connected to him are the larger markets in the sport. Now that the offseason slowdown that comes with Thanksgiving is out of the way, it’s possible we will begin to see Senga meeting with more teams in the coming days.

That may not be the best news for the M's on the Senga front but it may be pushing them to go for Rodon or push some money after Chaffin and go for a premium guy like Turner vs Wong.

My .02$
Which is why I think it's highly unlikely Seattle signs both Japanese FA's, let alone either one. My money's on one of four teams for Senga; Padres, Mets, Giants, or Dodgers.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:25 am

bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:31 am
Question for you guys-

How many more wins do you think a full season of starts of Luis Castillo gets the team compared to a full season of starts of Marco Gonzales?
Probably 7-8? 5-6 wins on his starts, then maybe a few more because of the decreased stress on the bullpen.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:25 am
bpj wrote:
Question for you guys-

Probably 7-8? 5-6 wins on his starts, then maybe a few more because of the decreased stress on the bullpen.
Agreed.

In other words, replacing Marco with another ace would add more wins than we're adding at any other position this offseason.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 am

bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 am
Juliooooo wrote:
bpj wrote:
Question for you guys-

Agreed.

In other words, replacing Marco with another ace would add more wins than we're adding at any other position this offseason.
Yes, but at a point you need more runs, so focusing on spending the money on an OF, DH and 2B will do more for the Mariners and their postseason chances. I won't be upset if they sign another starter by any means, but I'm also fine with them letting a younger guy have the chance to take the job like Hancock.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:49 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 am
bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 am
Juliooooo wrote:

Agreed.

Yes, but at a point you need more runs, so focusing on spending the money on an OF, DH and 2B will do more for the Mariners and their postseason chances. I won't be upset if they sign another starter by any means, but I'm also fine with them letting a younger guy have the chance to take the job like Hancock.
Really they should just be focusing on putting the best team possible on the field, right. That obviously does not include Marco. A difference of 7-8 wins in your estimation. They have both money and depth available.

If Marco is in the 2023 rotation when literally any available starting pitching option is better, they need their heads examined.

If they don't get Judge, Correa or Nimmo, their best chance to add high quality bats is probably to trade their MLB ready arms. You guys are right, they probably shouldn't trade Hancock and Dollard for a guy like Reynolds if they don't add another SP in front of them.

Hancock/Dollard/Kelenic is a great package for a guy like Reynolds imo. And we wouldn't even miss them if Carlos Rodon took the spot they were competing for.

But if they do add one... they could add the right bats by trades with the starting pitching depth it would create in the group of Miller/Hancock/Dollard/Woo.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:09 am

From the Athletic:

The Mariners made the biggest trade of the offseason, so far, when they acquired two-time Silver Slugger Teoscar Hernández from the Blue Jays for reliever Erik Swanson and minor-league pitcher Adam Macko. Hernández will play right field for Seattle and hit in the middle of the lineup. Team president Jerry Dipoto’s next goal is to upgrade second base or shortstop, with the idea that if they add a shortstop, incumbent J.P. Crawford would move to second base. The Mariners are expected to be in the bidding for one of the big four free-agent shortstops. However, they prefer to go the less-expensive trade route and have had discussions with the Yankees (on Gleyber Torres), the Brewers (Kolten Wong) and the Rays (Brandon Lowe). Seattle also would like to add a left-handed reliever and will probably solve that need via free agency. Finally, the Mariners seek a right-handed hitter who could platoon with either Jarred Kelenic in left field or Jesse Winker at DH. There’s no doubt Dipoto and the Mariners will make a few more moves this winter, so get your popcorn ready.

Could I go 2 for 2 in trade predictions?