Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

HawkandMariner88

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:09 pm

Dollard + Hancock + Ford. Unless their just that damn stubborn. Does anyone know how his game would translate to TMobile as in how many of his flyballs would have been HR. You keep making offers till you find one that sticks don't take no for an answer. If by some crazy chance we can get both McNeil & Reynolds, oh my.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:19 pm

Divish just put up an article going over pretty much exactly what we just talked about here the last couple days. Which, seems to be the way of the world.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... next-step/

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:29 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:17 pm
Maybe I'm just a homer that's overvaluing my own team's players, but it seems like a package of Hancock, Dollard, and JK should bring back Bryan Reynolds. If they don't want JK, you could swap out Trammell or Marlowe, or maybe even Jonatan Clase if that was their preference. Zach Deloach is another guy they could throw in. Though he's lost some prospect value, he's still a good bet as a sort of fringe major league type.

That's about where I'd value Reynolds. He's no Juan Soto and Soto cost an equivalent of an Emerson Hancock + a Noelvi Marte as the centerpieces, although would be getting 3 years of Reynolds compared to 2.5 years of Soto, but that difference is probably made up in the #3 or 4 guys we give up for him.

Dollard is a sleeper, better results than Hancock in 2022. A 2.25 ERA with a 0.95 WHIP. A 16-2 record. Same age as Hancock. He's the minor league starter I'd be most hesitant to part with.

They're obviously not a team competing in 2023, they could easily look at those three as guys that fill holes for the next 6 years.

There would be a lot of fans butthurt about giving up Reynolds, but he's not doing them any good.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221126-153043_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20221126-153030_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:28 pm
This is such a simplistic mentality. Almost all hitters will be better and a 100 wRC+ and OPS+ will be a higher bar so signing a guy specifically because of the new shift rules is absurd.
I disagree.

Santana was shifted against at a top 3 rate in baseball. His pull heavy stuff on the 1B side probably pays off more often. You don't sign him specifically based on this but you look at exit velo and where two guys can be positioned vs his hit charts and speculate that there is X% odds that he benefits disproportionally. I thought about him as a cheapy for DH in that taking his WRC+ from 102 to say 110 to 120 range would be a decent bet. But, I mean I could bet on the increased launch angle, health, and reduction in production from Winker is probably at least equivalent odds in betting on Winker's production being better.

And, aren't we trying to trade Winker?

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm
Makes sense given BR had a down season. I think the Pirates will hold out for a top 50 prospect or 2 and we have none of those. I am not trading Logan or Kirby for him.
SS Felnin Celesten.
He is a beast. Most places have him as #1, or @#2 but that hits @ Jan.15. I would be pretty comfortable predicting he lands somewhere in the top 100.

Not to mention the comparison between Ford @11M and the Yanks prospect at same age and level being valued at near 30M.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:31 am

Is there anything in these rules about not allowing a left fielder to move to shallow right field against a guy like Santana or Gallo?

Teams are more likely to adjust how they do things than stop doing what has worked for them imo.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:53 am

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... gallo.html

Marco gone for Gallo

That would have worked for me.

Not that Gallo really adds much but it would have ended the need to go with Marco over Flex the last bits of the season.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:57 am

Dipoto thinks the Mariners move quickly
.“Some teams tend to move more methodically, we tend to move at a much faster pace,” Dipoto said. “Even the teams that move methodically, when we call, they know it's on and that they better move a little faster if they want to get in the game with us, so to speak.”
https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-eye-m ... 023-roster

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:28 pm
This is such a simplistic mentality. Almost all hitters will be better and a 100 wRC+ and OPS+ will be a higher bar so signing a guy specifically because of the new shift rules is absurd.
I disagree.

Santana was shifted against at a top 3 rate in baseball. His pull heavy stuff on the 1B side probably pays off more often. You don't sign him specifically based on this but you look at exit velo and where two guys can be positioned vs his hit charts and speculate that there is X% odds that he benefits disproportionally. I thought about him as a cheapy for DH in that taking his WRC+ from 102 to say 110 to 120 range would be a decent bet. But, I mean I could bet on the increased launch angle, health, and reduction in production from Winker is probably at least equivalent odds in betting on Winker's production being better.

And, aren't we trying to trade Winker?
Perhaps it is valid with him. I am more talking about people saying it about EVERY LH hitter. Nimmo and AB will be better too right? AND they will be MUCH better than Santana.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:31 am
Is there anything in these rules about not allowing a left fielder to move to shallow right field against a guy like Santana or Gallo?

Teams are more likely to adjust how they do things than stop doing what has worked for them imo.
No they just can't have INFers in the OF.
dt