Other team
26%

Total votes: 31

desbcoach

Re: Crowd sourcing on Mitch's destiny

Post by desbcoach » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:08 pm

MarinerFan4Life wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:59 pm
When he is fully healthy, he brings a bat we need - I wouldn't be opposed to an incentive based contract reasonable to both sides. I'm not ready to fully trust TT or JK quite yet.....
I think Marlaowe will be the guy, His AA stats are pretty good for a non-hitters park. He may actually have what it needs next year

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:09 pm

MarinerFan4Life wrote:
When he is fully healthy, he brings a bat we need - I wouldn't be opposed to an incentive based contract reasonable to both sides. I'm not ready to fully trust TT or JK quite yet.....
How about sign a FA with higher than a .736 OPS that missed less than 100 games this season? :shock: :idea:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:10 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:08 pm
MarinerFan4Life wrote:
I think Marlaowe will be the guy, His AA stats are pretty good for a non-hitters park. He may actually have what it needs next year
I like him better than those two but not sure if we should rely on a rookie. Hasn't ended well other than Baseball God Julio.
dt

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:10 pm
desbcoach wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:08 pm
MarinerFan4Life wrote:
I like him better than those two but not sure if we should rely on a rookie. Hasn't ended well other than Baseball God Julio.
Not saying rely on him, I just think he will be a good player before all is said and done next year.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:13 pm

MarinerFan4Life wrote:
That's pretty much where I'm at with Mitch.

We're a better team with him than without him at the moment.

If they can make us a better team without Mitch involved, I'm all for it.

But he would fit into this lineup perfectly now that hes not the best player we'd be adding. Even fits their rotating DH and desire to get their bench players at bats.

On a contract based on incentives, he'd be a great move if they can't get an upgrade to come here.

Mitch has equal home/away career splits, if you're going to keep any player around, that's the type to keep.

A deal with a vesting option based on plate appearances seems about right for Mitch.

Give him 1yr/12M with an option for two additional years that vests with 500 plate appearances.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:18 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:13 pm
MarinerFan4Life wrote:

But he would fit into this lineup perfectly now that hes not the best player we'd be adding. Even fits their rotating DH and desire to get their bench players at bats.

On a contract based on incentives, he'd be a great move if they can't get an upgrade to come here.

Mitch has equal home/away career splits, if you're going to keep any player around, that's the type to keep.

A deal with a vesting option based on plate appearances seems about right for Mitch.

Give him 1yr/12M with an option for two additional years that vests with 500 plate appearances.
I agree with all of this. However, we are really light on left handed hitters. Surely there are some lefties out there available through trade and FA that have the same pop as Mitch, but that give us a little more flexibility? I know Winker is our in-house option, and maybe he bounces back this year. But I would feel a little better if we had either a 2B OR a DH that bats left. All else being equal with Mitch, I'd take the lefty.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:22 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:18 pm
bpj wrote:
MarinerFan4Life wrote:

I agree with all of this. However, we are really light on left handed hitters. Surely there are some lefties out there available through trade and FA that have the same pop as Mitch, but that give us a little more flexibility? I know Winker is our in-house option, and maybe he bounces back this year. But I would feel a little better if we had either a 2B OR a DH that bats left. All else being equal with Mitch, I'd take the lefty.
I think they will go hard after a guy like Kolten Wong at 2B.

Dipoto made pretty clear they were looking for RH bats because they feel like they have the left handed guys in house with Kelenic, Trammell and Marlowe, but never know what could happen now with Hernandez on board.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:23 pm

bpj wrote:
MarinerFan4Life wrote:

Sure but an incentive laden contract doesn't help if he stays healthy and continues to regress from a 800+ OPS in 2021 to a .736 OPS in 2022 to a .693 OPS in 2023 with something like a .227/.287/.406 line with only 23 HRs and 1.3 WAR.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:22 pm
I think they will go hard after a guy like Kolten Wong at 2B.

Dipoto made pretty clear they were looking for RH bats because they feel like they have the left handed guys in house with Kelenic, Trammell and Marlowe, but never know what could happen now with Hernandez on board.
Trade for Arreaz and sign Nimmo and call it a day. Solid lefties in the lineup and upgrades across the board.

Hope springs eternal.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:23 pm
bpj wrote:
MarinerFan4Life wrote:

Sure but an incentive laden contract doesn't help if he stays healthy and continues to regress from a 800+ OPS in 2021 to a .736 OPS in 2022 to a .693 OPS in 2023 with something like a .227/.287/.406 line with only 23 HRs and 1.3 WAR.
True, but if that were the case they'd be well within their rights to stop giving him plate appearances at the end of the year to keep the option from vesting.

I wouldn't make it easy for him to get the option. Give him a contract like Carlos Rodon just had that vests with plate appearances (which they could stop giving him if he's sucking) and gives him an opt out in case he bounces back and wants to retest the market next year.