Re: Trade!!!

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:48 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:36 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:51 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:38 am

If they do go out and get Wong, then I feel that it would be necessary to go out and get "two" more significant bats. One could be Yoshida, the other Haniger, Nimmo or Conforto. I'm not entirely sure what the plan is with Winker or Kelenic, but I'm sure as hell not going to Spring Training with two locked in as my LF and DH.
Would certainly be ideal if they upgrade all open positions regardless. Wong instead of a $30M free agent leaves resources available to do that.

Wong makes sense because the cost is $10M compared to $30M for a Bogaerts, which leaves them that $20M to spread around on LF and DH.

They could add Wong, Bryan Reynolds and Christian Walker and still have $10M left over compared to just signing Bogaerts.
What are the odds of pulling off just the Walker & Wong trades minus Reynolds. That's still an improvement. DH + 2B, both left handed with pop. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. If your able to swing both those mid level type deals then figure a way to snatch up Senga oh boy. Makes me laugh when teams say their best players not available. Umm hello its the Pirates they haven't been competitive in a long time nor do they plan to be in the near future. Might as well deal him & restock the farm as best you can.
Just never know what a team will do. The Dbacks were talking trades about Walker at the trade deadline. They're a borderline contender at best, it's a tossup whether he'll be traded, but it's not unrealistic to think the Dbacks will shop him again.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/ ... talks.html

There were no articles about Joe Musgrove being available two offseasons ago before he was my prime trade target in my offseason plan, and he ended up getting dealt. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3893&p=75381&hilit= ... ove#p75362

The Pirates were fools for wasting last year of Reynolds when it's clear they won't contend for at least two more years. They'd be fools again to waste another year of Reynolds production if they can't lock him up to an extension. His value isn't going anywhere but down if he plays this season in a Pirates uniform. 4 years of service time was more valuable than 3, and 3 years is more valuable than 2.

I said starting 3 years ago that we should have been looking into trades for Haniger if he wouldn't sign an extension. We'd be much better off if we had, because now he's walking and we're getting NOTHING in return for him. That's where the Pirates are sitting now, except they're even further from contention than we were.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:31 am

bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:48 am

Just never know what a team will do. The Dbacks were talking trades about Walker at the trade deadline. They're a borderline contender at best, it's a tossup whether he'll be traded, but it's not unrealistic to think the Dbacks will shop him again.

Did not realize this was the case when I posted about Walker and Reynolds a little while ago. My mistake!

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:31 am
bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:48 am

Did not realize this was the case when I posted about Walker and Reynolds a little while ago. My mistake!
No worries, just never know which direction a team will take.

For example, people said the same last year when we talked about Bryan Reynolds here.

"Why would they trade Bryan Reynolds??"

Well, because what good is he doing for them while they rebuild? And if he's not interested in signing an extension, he's going to be gone by the time they're contending, so why wouldn't they trade him?

There were rumors that he was talked about in trades over the last year. Then he wasn't traded. Never know.

Some people thought I was crazy for saying they should be shopping Haniger over the last couple years once they knew he wouldn't sign an extension, but what we're seeing play out is exactly why.

Trading your expiring contracts to teams with needs (like Teoscar to the Mariners) to replenish the farm, and then signing a replacement in free agency (like it sounds like the BJ's are interested in doing with Nimmo) creates organizational sustainability.

The Blue Jays have a RP, a SP prospect and the ability to turn around and fill Teoscar's roster spot in free agency, which happens to be exactly the formula I've said the Mariners need to use for their players that dont' sign extensions-

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4622&hilit=haniger+ ... =60#p99306
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4622&hilit=haniger+ ... =60#p99312

Dipoto took the approach by trading Graveman. Then he passed on trading Haniger. Ok, fine. But it cost us pretty bigly in the end imo.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:11 pm

Haniger hasn’t exactly been healthy the last 2 yrs. Not sure what value he would of had last off-season but pretty sure if he would have traded him this last July Jerry would have taken a fair amount of heat again ala Graveman

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:21 pm

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:39 am
I'm definitely on the Senga & Yoshida train. My lord the moves we could make from there. I'm telling you you add those 2 without having to mortgage any of your top guys. I'd say the top trade target after that would be:

1. Walker (wouldn't probably cost either if you can help it)

2. One of Torres or Wong (right now leaning towards Wong, his WRC was 35 points higher then Frazier)

LF - Yoshida

CF - Julio

RF - Teoscar

3B - Suarez

SS - JP

2B - Wong/Torres

1B - France

DH - Walker

C - Raleigh

SP1 - Castillo
SP2 - Gilbert
SP3 - Kirby
SP4 - Ray
SP5 - Senga

How many of you on this board this that is a realistic idea. Your literally not giving away any premium talent. Jerry doesn't like spending big on FA, but this isn't FA. The cost would be probably less then half of what it would take to land 1 of the top SS's. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm definitely riding the Senga/Yoshida train. ALL ABOARD!!!!!
That would be a pretty good off season for sure. Nicely done.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:29 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:00 am
There's not been any indication of trade talks for Christian Walker or Bryan Reynolds. With Reynolds, especially, the Pirates have been pretty consistent that they aren't trading him, though I suppose they might consider it again at mid-season. You can argue all you want that they should trade him because of logical reasons, but they seem to think otherwise.

And on Walker, I don't think there's been a peep anywhere except maybe from some bullshit blogs like Sodo that just make stuff up.
Two years of control on Walker after a 5+ WAR season won't be cheap. And I would think if it was going to happen it would have been part of the Klew trade....btw he has the exact same name as Herschel Walker's flamboyant son. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:11 pm
Haniger hasn’t exactly been healthy the last 2 yrs. Not sure what value he would of had last off-season but pretty sure if he would have traded him this last July Jerry would have taken a fair amount of heat again ala Graveman
He had significant value after last season with 39 bombs and playing 157 games but he was regarded as a super hero at that time and trading him would have led to a fan revolt. And it really didn't make sense given we needed him.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:30 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:

He had significant value after last season with 39 bombs and playing 157 games but he was regarded as a super hero at that time and trading him would have led to a fan revolt. And it really didn't make sense given we needed him.
Well we still have the DH. Maybe vogelbach is partly right let’s let the pitchers hit and play JK in the field and let a Dh hit for him. Problem solved :D

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
If you had to decide between re-signing Haniger and trading Winker OR letting Mitch walk and roll with Winker in 2023, which would you choose?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:51 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:47 pm
D-train wrote:
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
If you had to decide between re-signing Haniger and trading Winker OR letting Mitch walk and roll with Winker in 2023, which would you choose?
Mitch.
dt