Trade!!!

bpj

Re: Trade!!!

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 pm

I think the most likely Dipoto targets at this point are Wong, Reynolds (or Tanaka) and Senga.

Add those guys to Hernandez and we're a great team.

In isolation, none of the moves would blow you away.

But none of their contracts would blow us away either.

Other less likely targets that still represent significant upgrades are Christian Walker, Hunter Renfroe, and Michael Brantley, and of course Carlos Rodon.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:17 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 pm
I think the most likely Dipoto targets at this point are Wong, Reynolds (or Tanaka) and Senga.

Add those guys to Hernandez and we're a great team.

In isolation, none of the moves would blow you away.

But none of their contracts would blow us away either.

Other less likely targets that still represent significant upgrades are Christian Walker, Hunter Renfroe, and Michael Brantley, and of course Carlos Rodon.
Did you see this? Jerry has to be reading your posts!!! lol
“When I talk about the foundation of our club, I think one of the things that allows us to go out and improve our (slugging) and improve our ability to hit the ball over the fence – which frankly, we were pretty good at to begin with – is that we were second in the league and walks,” Dipoto said. “We will get on base. Getting on base is something that we will do as a lineup. Now we need to improve our run scoring.”

The Mariners have “a number of players” who can get on base, dominate the zone and work walks, Dipoto said, but they needed someone like Hernández to “sweep the floor” when guys are on base, which is something the M’s didn’t do a great job of last season.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:17 pm

dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Very exciting to see them moving in the sensible direction.

Now if he would just realize that the DH would be an easy spot to add on more base sweeping power we'd be set.

Amazingly they do seem to have embraced the possibility of upgrading the 5 spot in the rotation, which was blasphemy when we first talked about that here.

Filling a few spots for $10-$14M goes a lot further than a one and done $35M guy.

Especially when they can subtract the Flexen/Marco/Winker contracts to add on further!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:30 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:28 pm
Very exciting to see them moving in the sensible direction.

Now if he would just realize that the DH would be an easy spot to add on more base sweeping power we'd be set.

Amazingly they do seem to have embraced the possibility of upgrading the 5 spot in the rotation, which was blasphemy when we first talked about that here.

Filling a few spots for $10-$14M goes a lot further than a one and done $35M guy.

Especially when they can subtract the Flexen/Marco/Winker contracts to add on further!
Marinertalk.com: Tomorrow's Baseball wisdom today.... :)
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:32 pm

I was just watching MLB network talking about the trade. One of the things they said was " this is a trade between two teams that met in the playoffs and we seen just how vulnerable the Jays lineup was to a a dominant RHP Castillo. The Jays have all righties in their line-up except DH Collins who had 79 PA Tapia and Biggio had a 91 and 92 OPS+ as bench lefties with 700 PA between the 2.

We absolutely need to get a middle bat that is lefty. Nimmo is one of the best on the market, but he is more of a table setter vs a table cleaner. Maybe if we add Nimmo and keep Winker and hope for something out of WInker other than only OBP Boost.

You know Winker had a career .288 .385 .504 .888 129 OPS+ entering his time with Seattle. He had some injuries, It was rumored he got fat and sassy and lazy. This is his walk year and he was still a 103 OPS+ bat. If he gets back to hitting more linedrives and being more of a part time player and being the third best hitter vs RHP? Get the fk out of here that is a huge value.

If we trade him, I am fine with that. If we keep him and hope for a rebound in his walk year, I could make myself good with that to.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:32 pm

We absolutely need to get a middle bat that is lefty. Nimmo is one of the best on the market, but he is more of a table setter vs a table cleaner. Maybe if we add Nimmo and keep Winker and hope for something out of WInker other than only OBP Boost.
We got one in the Big Dumper, lol... terrible nickname btw. But he can hit lefty, will get you 30hr's a year and should hopefully develop into a slightly better hitter even as he matures more.

Optimistic Ms Fan

Post by Optimistic Ms Fan » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:00 am

Wow. This has to be a shit trade for us. Who is he??? That’s all we could get for Lewis?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... ummel.html
Formerly balefire uk :D Now I'm optimistic!

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:01 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:32 pm
I was just watching MLB network talking about the trade. One of the things they said was " this is a trade between two teams that met in the playoffs and we seen just how vulnerable the Jays lineup was to a a dominant RHP Castillo. The Jays have all righties in their line-up except DH Collins who had 79 PA Tapia and Biggio had a 91 and 92 OPS+ as bench lefties with 700 PA between the 2.

You know Winker had a career .288 .385 .504 .888 129 OPS+ entering his time with Seattle. He had some injuries, It was rumored he got fat and sassy and lazy. This is his walk year and he was still a 103 OPS+ bat. If he gets back to hitting more linedrives and being more of a part time player and being the third best hitter vs RHP? Get the fk out of here that is a huge value.

If we trade him, I am fine with that. If we keep him and hope for a rebound in his walk year, I could make myself good with that to.
Yeah I know everyone is piling on Winker right now and most want nothing more to do with him but I can't help but think there is still a lot of potential there. He has a career .812 OPS. On the road so his struggles here were caused by something other than just not being able to hit at T-Mobile. I think that he was playing banged up most of the year and I think he also struggled with being an everyday player. He never had more than 113 Games in a Season prior to this year. His career OPS against righties is .224 points higher than it is against lefties. I feel like if they used him correctly in a platoon with Dylan Moore that there is the potential for a huge bounce back. The only way I am OK with that though is if they get a legitimate bat at 2B/SS and a DH.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:04 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:46 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:41 pm

:lol: :lol:

Dying over here!!!! LMFAO!!! 🤣
:lol: :lol: :lol: You hadn't seen it before?????
No, not at all!
I've never seen it before either. OMG!! I have tears in my eyes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: