Trade number 2

D-train

Re: Trade number 2

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:37 pm

We need catching depth and we didn't need Lewis so good trade. Pretty simple.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:41 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:24 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:04 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:54 pm
Be interesting to see who is more productive next season, Hummel or lewis, pretty straight forward
At the mlb level not exactly straight forward. It’s obvious Hummel will not play on the squad unless Murphy isn’t healthy
But lewis would have to put up positive WAR, what's the chance of that?
Sounds like he will get his at bats as a Dh probably a fair chance he will do ok I wish him only the best. It wasn’t going to happen in Seattle we already have To many fringe OF players. Winker should be next on the chopping block and as others have mentioned JK will get a chance at spring training to be a part. Lewis was never getting that chance here

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:10 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:37 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:26 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:12 pm

Actually it will be Lewis vs. whoever replaces his PAs and that won't be Hummel.
But we got Hummel for him, generally trades are judged between the players dealt aren't they?
If two mlb players then yeah. Who put up more WAR, Luis Castillo or the kids we traded for him? Did the Reds lose the trade then?
Hummell played in the majors, he was ticketed to be the backup catcher I thought. So there is no way to judge the trade? It's not so much winning and losing but how successful was the trade for each team. How about this, what do you think the chances of Lewis putting up positive WAR next season?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:41 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:24 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:04 pm

At the mlb level not exactly straight forward. It’s obvious Hummel will not play on the squad unless Murphy isn’t healthy
But lewis would have to put up positive WAR, what's the chance of that?
Sounds like he will get his at bats as a Dh probably a fair chance he will do ok I wish him only the best. It wasn’t going to happen in Seattle we already have To many fringe OF players. Winker should be next on the chopping block and as others have mentioned JK will get a chance at spring training to be a part. Lewis was never getting that chance here
I'm thinking that too. The dh thing has changed with 30 teams needing them. But again, what are the chances of Lewis actually putting up positive WAR as a dh?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:10 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:37 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:26 pm

But we got Hummel for him, generally trades are judged between the players dealt aren't they?
If two mlb players then yeah. Who put up more WAR, Luis Castillo or the kids we traded for him? Did the Reds lose the trade then?
Hummell played in the majors, he was ticketed to be the backup catcher I thought. So there is no way to judge the trade? It's not so much winning and losing but how successful was the trade for each team. How about this, what do you think the chances of Lewis putting up positive WAR next season?
He has a Decent chance to put up positive WAR but he put up negative WAR this season. I would say this:

Positive WAR: 50%
1+ WAR: 20%
2+ WAR: 5%
3+ WAR: 1%

Also a very good chance Hummel puts up more WAR than Klew if Murphy resume his penchant for injuries....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:21 pm

btw he hit .209 in the hitting paradise of the PCL in Sept. This is in line with my theory that his bad knee also impacts his hitting. If so he is toast.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:46 pm

Yeah you seem to be dancing around in terms of your theory. You think he is broken but on the other hand give him a chance at putting up positive WAR at what's the most difficult position to do it at isn't it? Seems to me it be remarkable for the dbacks to be able to literally roll lewis out at dh and get positive WAR out of him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:46 pm
Yeah you seem to be dancing around in terms of your theory. You think he is broken but on the other hand give him a chance at putting up positive WAR at what's the most difficult position to do it at isn't it? Seems to me it be remarkable for the dbacks to be able to literally roll lewis out at dh and get positive WAR out of him.
Edgar put up 46 WAR as a full time DH so it isn't impossible especially in the era where a .688 OPS for Winker was an above average OPS+.

I have him a 5% chance to put up average WAR. Why would a team trying to chase down a team in a midst of a dynasty be interested in just getting positive WAR out of DH. Alvarez put up 6.8 WAR at DH for God's sake.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:03 pm

It's a function of the trade, they aren't trading for Edgar, they are trading a backup catcher for a guy they get positive WAR out of at dh seems to me

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:46 pm
Edgar put up 46 WAR as a full time DH so it isn't impossible especially in the era where a .688 OPS for Winker was an above average OPS+.

I have him a 5% chance to put up average WAR. Why would a team trying to chase down a team in a midst of a dynasty be interested in just getting positive WAR out of DH. Alvarez put up 6.8 WAR at DH for God's sake.
Great point DT.