Going to break my own thread starting rules here

bpj

Re: Going to break my own thread starting rules here

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 pm

Good stuff Big Maple.

Not to mention that despite such an amazing farm, this team has only 4 players on it (Raleigh/Julio/Gilbert/Kirby) that are actually from it. The rest are a result of trading to fill needs at the MLB level.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:39 am

And it's not the farm system in general, it's that it's deep in pitching

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:56 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:39 am
Yes, but they also groom position players. Gurriel, Peña, Bregman, Correa, Springer and Altuve all came up through the ranks.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:10 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:39 am
We don't really have any other impact players close to MLB so they could all be fair game for the right bat.

It's nice to have Ford and Young in the system, but Dipoto/Hollander could easily replace them by the time they're expected to make it to the majors anyways.

In the same way that Cole Young filled the Noelvi Marte hole, next year there would be a shiny new addition to replace them.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:01 am

I would prefer that the organization hold on to the young position player prospects as much as possible, or at least the ones that matter. I like what's going on down there and I don't believe that trading away the farm system makes a whole lot of sense. I would not assume that just because the Astros were able to drain their system and then continue to pump out quality major leaguers, that the Mariners can do the same. One team is able to do that, 29 other teams are not.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:12 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:01 am
I would prefer that the organization hold on to the young position player prospects as much as possible, or at least the ones that matter. I like what's going on down there and I don't believe that trading away the farm system makes a whole lot of sense. I would not assume that just because the Astros were able to drain their system and then continue to pump out quality major leaguers, that the Mariners can do the same. One team is able to do that, 29 other teams are not.
I'd prefer that too.

It doesn't really matter which minor leaguers they trade away at this point imo. Guys like Young and Ford are both too far away to have an impact within the next 4 years and if the MLB rotation is full, the pitchers aren't doing us any good rotting in AAA when we have offensive holes at the MLB level.

That leaves plenty of time to figure out the next few guys that will contribute at the MLB level by 2027 when they may be needed.

Our MLB roster's pretty set until that point anyways imo. I mean, if they think they have another Julio, by all means keep him. But they need to fill LF, 2B, DH at the MLB level one way or another.

I'm all for them spending to fill the holes. I just don't think they will. But they still have to fill the holes.

Just turn around and trade the vets as their contracts expire like the Jay's did with Hernandez to refill the minors. Stop letting guys like Mitch Haniger walk without getting a return in other words.

Jose Abreu just got 3/$60 but they didn't think it was worth risking a $19M QO to Haniger which would have netted an extra draft pick or filled an obvious hole.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:49 pm

bpj wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:12 am
GL_Storm wrote:
I'd prefer that too.

It doesn't really matter which minor leaguers they trade away at this point imo. Guys like Young and Ford are both too far away to have an impact within the next 4 years and if the MLB rotation is full, the pitchers aren't doing us any good rotting in AAA when we have offensive holes at the MLB level.

That leaves plenty of time to figure out the next few guys that will contribute at the MLB level by 2027 when they may be needed.

Our MLB roster's pretty set until that point anyways imo. I mean, if they think they have another Julio, by all means keep him. But they need to fill LF, 2B, DH at the MLB level one way or another.

I'm all for them spending to fill the holes. I just don't think they will. But they still have to fill the holes.

Just turn around and trade the vets as their contracts expire like the Jay's did with Hernandez to refill the minors. Stop letting guys like Mitch Haniger walk without getting a return in other words.

Jose Abreu just got 3/$60 but they didn't think it was worth risking a $19M QO to Haniger which would have netted an extra draft pick or filled an obvious hole.
Are you telling me you would have signed Mitch Haniger to a 1-year $19M contract this offseason? No way the M's were tagging him. We all knew that. That being said, I wouldn't mind Mitch coming back to play for us if that's what Seattle wanted. I just think they've already addressed that in Teo. Time to get a lefty like Nimmo or Conforto

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:49 pm
bpj wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
I'd prefer that too.

Are you telling me you would have signed Mitch Haniger to a 1-year $19M contract this offseason? No way the M's were tagging him. We all knew that. That being said, I wouldn't mind Mitch coming back to play for us if that's what Seattle wanted. I just think they've already addressed that in Teo. Time to get a lefty like Nimmo or Conforto
I don’t think Mitch would have taken the 1 year 19mil, he most likely will get more guaranteed on open market. I take the gamble on QO

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:38 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:32 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
bpj wrote:

I'd prefer that too.

I don’t think Mitch would have taken the 1 year 19mil, he most likely will get more guaranteed on open market. I take the gamble on QO
Maybe but is 2/$11 per better than 1/$19?
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:38 pm
desbcoach wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:32 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Maybe but is 2/$11 per better than 1/$19?
Exactly. I'm not willing to gamble on $19M in cap space for an oft-injured OF when it could be better allocated somewhere else. Teoscar's production replaces Mitch. Now go out and get a left-handed bat for the OF with the money you've saved.