Re: Going to break my own thread starting rules here

Post by harmony » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:03 pm
harmony wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:02 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Ok I am happy to put Mitch above Gallo. How about you? Who would you take with the contract being equal?
Before the trade for Teoscar Hernandez, Mitch Haniger ranked ahead of Joey Gallo. Now Haniger and Gallo may represent roughly equal value to the Seattle Mariners.

Or not.😏
Because Gallo is LH bat?
Because Mitch Haniger is somewhat redundant with Teoscar Hernandez's superior bat in a righthand-heavy Mariner lineup that features Julio Rodriguez, Eugenio Suarez and Ty France.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:59 pm

harmony wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:53 pm
D-train wrote:
harmony wrote:

Before the trade for Teoscar Hernandez, Mitch Haniger ranked ahead of Joey Gallo. Now Haniger and Gallo may represent roughly equal value to the Seattle Mariners.

Or not.😏
Because Gallo is LH bat?
Because Mitch Haniger is somewhat redundant with Teoscar Hernandez's superior bat in a righthand-heavy Mariner lineup that features Julio Rodriguez, Eugenio Suarez and Ty France.
Yes that is what I said. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:04 pm

No idea why they would trade him but Varsho would be another good option:
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:12 pm

harmony wrote:
D-train wrote:
harmony wrote:

Or not.😏
Because Gallo is LH bat?

There's no such thing as being redundant when your bat is better.

"Hey, we have McGwire, why would we need Canseco?"

Pfffffft.

Gallo is trash.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:18 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:12 pm
harmony wrote:
D-train wrote:

Because Gallo is LH bat?

Pfffffft.

Gallo is trash.
Surprised you would want a pussy that was out for four months with Covid and a sprained ankle.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:18 pm
bpj wrote:
harmony wrote:

Pfffffft.

Gallo is trash.
Surprised you would want a pussy that was out for four months with Covid and a sprained ankle.
I should say that to me its less about wanting Mitch than it is not wanting Kelenic or Gallo. I would take Gallo over Kelenic. But I'd take Trammell/Haggerty/Moore over Gallo.

Mitch's bat is even better than Gallo in a down year and Mitch did get almost 700 plate appearances in 2021, he's not always hurt and some DH time would fit the plan well.

The only advantages Gallo has over Mitch are baserunning and defense. Those aren't two things high on my list when we need to drive in runs.

Haniger is still our 3rd or 4th best available option to upgrade over Kelenic in OF and as Dipoto pointed out, they already have Winker, Kelenic, Trammell and Marlowe as the LH bats that they want to get in the mix so I'm not seeing an urgency for a LH bat.

Gallo has a career wRC+ to match what Mitch put up in 2022 and has a career .196 batting average. Hard pass, especially in batting average killer T-Mobile.

It would be like acquiring 2022 Winker on purpose, only somehow even worse.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... =&enddate=

Over the last two years Gallo has only averaged 50 more plate appearances per season than Mitch.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:26 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:36 pm
D-train wrote:
bpj wrote:

Pfffffft.

Gallo is trash.
I should say that to me its less about wanting Mitch than it is not wanting Kelenic or Gallo. I would take Gallo over Kelenic. But I'd take Trammell/Haggerty/Moore over Gallo.
Mitch's bat is even better than Gallo in a down year and Mitch did get almost 700 plate appearances in 2021, he's not always hurt and some DH time would fit the plan well.

The only advantages Gallo has over Mitch are baserunning and defense. Those aren't two things high on my list when we need to drive in runs.

Haniger is still our 3rd or 4th best available option to upgrade over Kelenic in OF and as Dipoto pointed out, they already have Winker, Kelenic, Trammell and Marlowe as the LH bats that they want to get in the mix so I'm not seeing an urgency for a LH bat.

Gallo has a career wRC+ to match what Mitch put up in 2022 and has a career .196 batting average. Hard pass, especially in batting average killer T-Mobile.

Over the last two years Gallo has only averaged 50 more plate appearances per season than Mitch.
In his 691 plate appearances in 2021 Mitch Haniger posted an OPS+ of 122, 3.4 bWAR and 2.5 fWAR,

In his 616 plate appearances in 2021 Joey Gallo, who is three years younger than Haniger, posted an OPS+ of 121, 4.7 bWAR and 4.2 fWAR.

Neither is trash.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:33 am

bpj wrote:
harmony wrote:
D-train wrote:

Because Gallo is LH bat?

Pfffffft.

Gallo is trash.
FWIW Teoscar Hernandez has a career OPS+ of 121 in 2,531 plate appearances while Mitch Haniger, who is two years older, has a career OPS+ of 123 in 2,437 plate appearances:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... te01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... mi01.shtml

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:31 am

harmony wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:26 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:36 pm
D-train wrote:

In his 691 plate appearances in 2021 Mitch Haniger posted an OPS+ of 122, 3.4 bWAR and 2.5 fWAR,

In his 616 plate appearances in 2021 Joey Gallo, who is three years younger than Haniger, posted an OPS+ of 121, 4.7 bWAR and 4.2 fWAR.

Neither is trash.
He's had some good years when he gets to play his home games in Texas and New York. Excuse me for not being impressed.

He has a career 121 wRC+ in home games (Texas/New York), and a 98 wRC+ on the road.

Haniger has a career 122 wRC+ in home games, and a 122 wRC+ on the road.

Gallo couldn't carry Hanigers jock, even with one nut in it.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:33 am

harmony wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:33 am
bpj wrote:
harmony wrote:

Pfffffft.

Gallo is trash.
FWIW Teoscar Hernandez has a career OPS+ of 121 in 2,531 plate appearances while Mitch Haniger, who is two years older, has a career OPS+ of 123 in 2,437 plate appearances:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... te01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... mi01.shtml
Exactly. Nobody's kicking Teoscar outta bed, yet Haniger's getting treated like the red headed stepchild because he busted a nut a few years ago and sprained his ankle in a contract year.

I wouldn't check Haniger's name off the list just because he's like Teoscar. That's exactly what I'd be trying to add more of.