D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:54 pm
Stats I don't like

bWAR -0.4
ERA 4.15
ERA+ 96
FIP 4.45
K/9 8.7 very Meh for a reliever
Yeah I don't like those either. But so we're half the guys in this bullpen when we acquired him. If I told you were getting Paul Sewald or Drew Steckenrider before they had ever thrown a pitch for Seattle you would've thought I was crazy.

Gott has an uptick in velocity and movement on his breaking pitches from '21 to '22. Seattle sees something the like.

Donn Beach

Re: Ms sign reliever Trevor Gott

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 pm

Lefties kill him... probably come down to figuring out how to deal with lefties
Gott’s main issue is that he gets torched by lefties: a .485 SLG last season was unfortunately in line with a career wOBA of .335 against lefties vs. .289 against righties. He’s tried to introduce a changeup to throw to lefties, without success; it’s likely the Mariners will have him go another route in seeking success against southpaws, maybe with some tweaks to his primary arsenal of a fastball (95 MPH) and cutter (91 MPH). Gott also throws a heavy, bowling-ball style curveball, a pitch Milwaukee had him fade because of his inconsistency in getting it in the strike zone, but it could also be a weapon against lefties if he could harness command of the pitch. Recently, Gott has been leaning more on the cutter as his main secondary, which has some whiffle ball movement and heavy drop, similar to the curveball

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:27 pm

From what I hear, Gott went cutter heavy last year and it seemed to help.

But what I like about his stuff is it seems like he's hasn't reached his max velo with his fastball. He touched 97 in the video I linked but I think he's got more in the tank... sort of like Brash did when he switched to being a reliever.

I also like the sharpness of that slider. M's pitchers threw more sliders than any staff in baseball and I could see them asking him to rely heavily on that pitch. It's like a mini-Brash slider.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Damn Sam are you one of the guys that just got hired by the Mariners LMAO. This guy is straight trash. He's 30 years old had negative War this year and negative WAR for his career and has Never been a starter. This is the biggest lipstick on a pig show I've ever seen.

If they got him to save money for a free agent signing then fine but if this is just a dumpster dive for the f*** of it then it's b*******
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:21 pm

There’s a certain arrogance by this front office assuming that because they fixed Sewald they can fix anyone.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:35 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:21 pm
There’s a certain arrogance by this front office assuming that because they fixed Sewald they can fix anyone.
Exactly and how did it go "fixing" Montero???

With the Rangers he had a 3.09 ERA and a .99 WHIP 1.2 WAR
With us he had a 7.27 ERA and 1.64 WHIP -1.8 WAR
With the Astros he has had a 2.37 ERA and 1.02 WHIP 1.5 WAR

With these relievers it is just random in most cases. Flexen fixed himself in S. Korea. Who else besides Sewald and Sadler did they "Fix"..
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:40 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
There's a certain arrogance on this forum that its members have better information and more expertise than the front office.

This poster has neither but nevertheless will question front office decisions.

The front office sees something in Trevor Gott that most of us don't given our limited information and expertise.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm

harmony wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:40 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
There's a certain arrogance on this forum that its members have better information and more expertise than the front office.

This poster has neither but nevertheless will question front office decisions.

The front office sees something in Trevor Gott that most of us don't given our limited information and expertise.
Yeah they see how cheap is was to sign after getting non tendered by the Brewers. lol
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:35 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Exactly and how did it go "fixing" Montero???

With the Rangers he had a 3.09 ERA and a .99 WHIP 1.2 WAR
With us he had a 7.27 ERA and 1.64 WHIP -1.8 WAR
With the Astros he has had a 2.37 ERA and 1.02 WHIP 1.5 WAR

With these relievers it is just random in most cases. Flexen fixed himself in S. Korea. Who else besides Sewald and Sadler did they "Fix"..
They certainly developed Munoz better than San Diego did. Steckenrider was good for a season. Borucki and Joe Smith were better under us. JT Chargois was decent in his time as a Mariner. Matt Festa has bloomed nicely under us. We were able to turn Austin Adams into something decent enough to package him off for Ty France and change. Alex Colome was brilliant while in Seattle's pen as well, going from a 4.15 ERA down to 2.53. Seattle was fully responsible into transforming Kendall Graveman, a career starter into a lights out closer during his time under Dipoto and Servais. This organization has made arms certainly better. Do not discount that.

There is going to be hit and miss for sure. But Seattle has had one of if not the best bullpen the last two years in a row.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:29 pm

According to Gott's bubble gum card, he sucks.