Competitive balance draft pick

bpj

Re: Competitive balance draft pick

Post by bpj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:39 pm

Agreed, everything I've seen points to it being the third pick, which would apparently be what amounts to a late 1st round pick in our case. Despite it making much more sense if it was a third round pick, just not how the rule reads.

If a guy like Nimmo costs us $125M and a #30 pick, it makes looking at a guy like Bryan Reynolds make even more sense.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:41 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:39 pm
Agreed, everything I've seen points to it being the third pick, which would apparently be what amounts to a late 1st round pick in our case. Despite it making much more sense if it was a third round pick, just not how the rule reads.

If a guy like Nimmo costs us $125M and a #30 pick, it makes looking at a guy like Bryan Reynolds make even more sense.
If you are going to give up pick 30, might as well be in a trade for the better player.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:16 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:18 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:12 pm
Yeah, I think 3rd pick means the 3rd rd pick because every team gets one pick per round, not every team is going to get a comp a/b rd pick or the prospect bonus pick for roy vote. Every team should be on the same level of what rd the pick would be forfeited, only makes sense.
It's not simply the 3rd round pick. It's the 3rd pick
Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2021 Rule 4 Draft would lose its third-round pick. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-round pick.
I have heard that they can't lose their comp balance pick, but can't see that clarified here.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactio ... ying-offer
That would make no sense. Teams would ROY picks and comp picks would be at an unfair disadvantage which is the complete opposite the point of giving them those picks.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:17 am

MLB does some stupid shit but that would take the cake and it won't even be close.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:22 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:16 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Vogelbomb wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:12 pm
Yeah, I think 3rd pick means the 3rd rd pick because every team gets one pick per round, not every team is going to get a comp a/b rd pick or the prospect bonus pick for roy vote. Every team should be on the same level of what rd the pick would be forfeited, only makes sense.
Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2021 Rule 4 Draft would lose its third-round pick. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-round pick.
I have heard that they can't lose their comp balance pick, but can't see that clarified here.

That would make no sense. Teams would ROY picks and comp picks would be at an unfair disadvantage which is the complete opposite the point of giving them those picks.
Sense or not, its how the rule is written.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:24 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:22 am
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

I still think it may have been written before the other picks and means 3rd round pick. The word round wasn't necessary previously. Maybe it includes the comp picks but no way in hell we lose a 1st round pick and almost ever other team loses a 3rd round pick. That would blatant competitive IMbalance.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:35 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:24 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:22 am
D-train wrote:

I still think it may have been written before the other picks and means 3rd round pick. The word round wasn't necessary previously. Maybe it includes the comp picks but no way in hell we lose a 1st round pick and almost ever other team loses a 3rd round pick. That would blatant competitive IMbalance.
Most teams lose their 2nd pick, Mariners lose their 3rd because they receive revenue sharing money. These are the teams that get comp picks. Not knowing if they will get a 1st or 2nd round comp pick, that may be why they word it that way. Most teams will lose a 2nd round pick.
A team that receives revenue-sharing money will lose its third-highest selection in the following year's Draft. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its fourth-highest remaining pick.

Teams in this group: Athletics, Brewers, D-backs, Guardians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals, Tigers and Twins.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 am

Other tiers
A team that exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season will lose its second- and fifth-highest selections in the following year's Draft, as well as $1 million from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If such a team signs multiple qualifying-offer free agents, it will forfeit its third- and sixth-highest remaining picks as well.
Tier 2 (Edit, correction example of the luxury tax tier)
A team with one pick in each round of the 2022 Rule 4 Draft would lose its second- and fifth-round picks. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-highest first-round pick and its fourth-round pick.
Edit: correction, the second quote is an example from the luxury tax tier. Here is the rule from the middle tier
• All other teams will lose their second-highest selection in the following year's Draft, as well as $500,000 from their international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If one of these teams signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest remaining pick and an additional $500,000.

Teams in this group: Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, Nationals, Rangers and White Sox.

Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2021 Rule 4 Draft would lose its second-round pick. A team with two first-round picks would lose its second-highest first round-pick.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:41 am

How in the hell to we get revenue sharing money??? All of this is crazy.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:41 am
How in the hell to we get revenue sharing money??? All of this is crazy.
I don't know, but it gave us an extra first rounder, so I'm not complaining