Mike Salk joins Shannon on the M's PR team

D-train

Mike Salk joins Shannon on the M's PR team

Post by D-train » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:11 pm

dt

D-train

Re: Mike Salk joins Shannon on the M's PR team

Post by D-train » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Salk suggests that we still have to over pay relative to other teams which is complete fucking out of his ass pull nonsense. btw What is and over pay? Is it having to pay more that other teams to come to play in the rancid hell hole that is Seattle? Having to travel millions of miles more than an other team and having to hit a baseball farther than a Tiger Woods in his prime tee shot just to reach the warning track? Having to play for a team that has no chance to not lose 100 games?

Or is having to pay more than FGs $8M per WAR value which hasn't changed for a decade? It is absurd to think it is the former and if it is the latter it is NOT an overpay it is a market value going rate pay. Seems Jerry has convinced his new PR simp, Salk that they have to "overpay" for FAs even though they just signed the reigning Cy Young winner to a VERY reasonable deal.
Could the Mariners sign a top free agent? Sure. If one was willing to sign a six- or seven-year, market value deal. But will they (and should they) overpay on a longer contract that will prevent them from retaining their homegrown nucleus?
And my hunch is that if they are able to do that for another year or two, they won’t have to pay the above-market premium associated with being the Seattle Mariners.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:59 pm

I don't disagree with what he's saying or even the strategy itself that he's trying to explain. I've thought for a couple of decades now that this type of a process, emphasizing development in the minors and some key trades, would make the most sense in trying to build a team that can win over a long period of time.

But even though I mostly agree with Jerry DiPoto's overall strategy, there's something about the tone of this piece that does sound very much like Salk has joined the Mariner's PR team, which sucks. I think I like Salk a bit more than most of you. I think he's a good broadcaster for the Seattle market, which isn't saying much. But this piece knocks him down a peg, in my opinion.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:46 pm

Obviously drafting and development is the core to success but this notion that Free Agency is exclusively about massive contracts and overpaying players is absurd. Don't need to denigrate one method of team building to prove how brilliant they are to focus almost solely on the other two.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:46 pm
Obviously drafting and development is the core to success but this notion that Free Agency is all about massive contracts and overpaying players is absurd. Don't need to denigrate one method of team building to prove how brilliant they are to focus almost solely on the other two.
Well, if you're trying to sign Judge, Nimmo, or any of the 4SS, it seems like you're going to overpay. And now some of these idiot teams are bidding up mediocre to bad pitchers as well. And a number of guys got stupid contracts last year: Story, Baez, Seager, Kris Bryant, etc. You can go into free agency thinking you know what the market is for player x, but it only takes one stupid owner to throw a bunch of money at that guy and change the market. Where is the middle class group of players that get 2-4 year deals? This year it's Abreu and that's it. Maybe the M's can squeeze one more good year out of Michael Brantley.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:32 pm

It's beginning to look a lot like ... Oh, wait. Wrong song. Sorry.

It's beginning to look a lot like the same ol', same ol' Mariners crying poverty. And just HOW MUCH did the club make over the last two seasons? Business as usual. They have no intention of even TRYING to make a World Series.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:03 pm

ddraig wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:32 pm

It's beginning to look a lot like the same ol', same ol' Mariners crying poverty. And just HOW MUCH did the club make over the last two seasons? Business as usual. They have no intention of even TRYING to make a World Series.
I love the whole "we're saving our money to extend our young players...eventually". What a crock of shit. First off - it doesn't work that way. Professional sports teams don't put money aside like I would if I am saving for a trip to Jamaica or a new car. It's just different economics.

Second of all, what if Kirby or Hancock or Raleigh (or whoever) don't want extensions. What if they turn it down and test free agency? My car or my vacation have no say over whether I spend money on them, so it at least makes sense to start saving. But what if these guys hate it in Seattle? What if they pull an ARod and go for more money elsewhere? What if they get traded?

This logic is just asinine, and I think it's just JD doublespeak, or a bait and switch to get fans to shut up about him going after FA. My opinion.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:07 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:03 pm
ddraig wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:32 pm

I love the whole "we're saving our money to extend our young players...eventually". What a crock of shit. First off - it doesn't work that way. Professional sports teams don't put money aside like I would if I am saving for a trip to Jamaica or a new car. It's just different economics.

Second of all, what if Kirby or Hancock or Raleigh (or whoever) don't want extensions. What if they turn it down and test free agency? My car or my vacation have no say over whether I spend money on them, so it at least makes sense to start saving. But what if these guys hate it in Seattle? What if they pull an ARod and go for more money elsewhere? What if they get traded?

This logic is just asinine, and I think it's just JD doublespeak, or a bait and switch to get fans to shut up about him going after FA. My opinion.
Not to mention the bragging about how much future commitments they have and how high they rank BEFORE teams have spent in those off seasons is beyond absurd.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Once again this guy is so predictable. lol
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:21 pm

I think we might all be stunned by some of these contracts that get signed in the next few weeks. Judge will sign at some point and then the floodgates will open and there's gonna be some stupid money given out.