M's get Wong for Winker and Toro!!

GL_Storm

Re: M's get Wong for Winker and Toro!!

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:58 am

desbcoach wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:01 am
With the empty roster spot, I would not be surprised to Dipoto take a shot on a reliever in the rule 5 draft
I was wondering about this as well.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:00 am

Based on what was given up for Toro and Winker, this deal is more like a white flag, Jerry admitting he fucked up and trying to recoup something. I mean, if this deal was made a year ago people wohld be saying Jerry got molested.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:24 am

Wong may tick up a bit offensively. I am watching a video and they displayed his hit and out chart and it looks like it would benefit him.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:00 am
Based on what was given up for Toro and Winker, thias deal is more like a white flag, Jerry admitting he fucked up and trying to recoup something. I mean, if this deal was made a year ago people wohld be saying Jerry got molested.
Some trades work out better than others, seems like a pretty good shot at a roster adjustment

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:21 am

Kolten Wong and Trevor Story both have a career .739 OPS in games played outside their home parks.

For those wondering and comparing, Adam Frazier has a career .690 OPS in Away games.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:33 am

Guys on here wanna nitpick every single little thing. Would you rather they spend over 200 million and the guy not produce and be labeled a bust or have a guy for 1 year. At least with 1 year your not tied to them long term. Glass half full here people.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:52 am

.On the defensive side of the game, however, the 2022 season was a bizarre and borderline nightmarish one for Wong. Typically one of the game’s best defenders at his position, Wong made a stunning 17 errors — more than he’d totaled in the three prior seasons combined. When his option was picked up, Wong told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Todd Rosiak that his legs weren’t fully healthy in 2022, which he felt contributed to his surprising defensive shortcomings (Twitter links). Wong missed time in June with a calf strain that sent him to the injured list, and it’s certainly plausible that his legs cost him some of his typical defensive excellence.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 am

Look at the bigger picture. What is the Mariners need? A big bat. What position did they have open prior to the deal? 2B. So they were stuck having to overpay for a middle infield impact bat, one of four total.

Post deal? Dipoto moved Winkers production to 2B. Mariners biggest need is still an impact bat, but what position do they need it at? DH/OF/1B - where there's 10 times the number of available bats than infield.

It's a really smart way of shifting the playing field.

By moving Winker we can bring in a Josh Bell to be DH or sign Nimmo to play LF. We could even bring back Haniger to play OF and DH. There are many ways to improve on last years lineup.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:17 am

Good points big sexy.

With the exit of Winker they have LF and DH both wide open.

Any two of Bryan Reynolds, Josh Bell, Michael Conforto, or Haniger would finish this offense off nicely and give them a good mix of guys that can play a position or DH.

I'm hoping they'll fill both holes now that they moved Winker.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:46 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:56 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 pm
Also closes the book on the FA SS pipe dream. Can't believe people fell for that nonsense. Sign Nimmo or trade for Reynolds and we have a solid off season.
In full agreement brother but I would add Chaffin
Signing Gott shows how much Jerry is willing to spend on relievers
dt