Good piece on Cade Marlowe

D-train

Re: Good piece on Cade Marlowe

Post by D-train » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:09 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:41 pm
Arkins focused on K rate when he did his comparisons but I would like to see all of the guys that made their Major league debut the past 5 years that had about a .900 OPS in AAA and how they did their 1st 500 PAs.
It would take some digging to get that sample, but it's doable. It would just take some work.
I bet JK easily his the largest disparity in MILB and MLB OPS...maybe in history..

I remember Jose Marm had crazy numbers in 2021. 1.112 in AAA and .574 in MLB. But shows that just because guys can crush AAA pitching doesn't mean it will translate.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:09 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:41 pm
Arkins focused on K rate when he did his comparisons but I would like to see all of the guys that made their Major league debut the past 5 years that had about a .900 OPS in AAA and how they did their 1st 500 PAs.
It would take some digging to get that sample, but it's doable. It would just take some work.
I bet JK easily his the largest disparity in MILB and MLB OPS...maybe in history..

I remember Jose Marm had crazy numbers in 2021. 1.112 in AAA and .574 in MLB. But shows that just because guys can crush AAA pitching doesn't mean it will translate.
Yes, that's likely but we're also in an era of unusually low batting averages and incredible pitch optimization, and 2022 had the mush ball. The last five years would be informative but even so there are some wild swings in offensive numbers year to year per BPJ's post about the home run numbers. I'm not sure which thread that's in.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 pm
The JK comparison is uncanny:

https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-pr ... trikeouts/
Read this a few days ago. I'm rooting for him. The strikeouts are worrisome, but then again, you just never know.

I'm stoked about the upcoming Draft and restocking the farm system.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:32 pm

So was Kelenic overrated or Marlowe underrated?

I'm just guessing, but.....

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:32 pm

Just tells you the experts are wrong A LOT and were big time wrong with those two. A fourth overall pick and and 19th rounder putting up the same minor league numbers. Crazy.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pm
bpj wrote:

Just tells you the experts are wrong A LOT and were big time wrong with those two. A fourth overall pick and and 19th rounder putting up the same minor league numbers. Crazy.
What about the 3-4 year age difference? That's why Kelenic was treated so high. And Marlowe was obviously not highly regarded. As a 4th year Sr he hit 5 HR in a low level school. As the person I see touting age, you can surely see the difference. As a 24 year old in A ball, there was reason to not get too excited. Until he started doing it this year (and it was late this year he really turned it on) he was just an advanced college player beating younger guys.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:13 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:48 pm
D-train wrote:
bpj wrote:

What about the 3-4 year age difference? That's why Kelenic was treated so high. And Marlowe was obviously not highly regarded. As a 4th year Sr he hit 5 HR in a low level school. As the person I see touting age, you can surely see the difference. As a 24 year old in A ball, there was reason to not get too excited. Until he started doing it this year (and it was late this year he really turned it on) he was just an advanced college player beating younger guys.
True. I wonder if there was anything about JK that could have predicted such an epic fail in the bigs....

For the people that say he is only 23, what exactly is going to happen going from age 23 to 24 that didn't happen from 22 to 23??? Is his vision going to get better, his reflexes, is hand eye coordination. Better swing decisions? I would love to know how he goes from .141/.534 to .241/.734? That is just a MASSIVE improvement just to get to an acceptable level. What will drive it?
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:13 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

True. I wonder if there was anything about JK that could have predicted such an epic fail in the bigs....

For the people that say he is only 23, what exactly is going to happen going from age 23 to 24 that didn't happen from 22 to 23??? Is his vision going to get better, his reflexes, is hand eye coordination. Better swing decisions? I would love to know how he goes from .141/.534 to .241/.734? That is just a MASSIVE improvement just to get to an acceptable level. What will drive it?
The question is if it's mental, because something can absolutely change there, and his approach can change. If it's he's not capable of picking up the mlb breaking ball, that's a different thing

If he went and played the same levels as Marlowe at the same age Marlowe played them, he'd blow Marlowes numbers out of the water. What does Marlowe have that JK doesn't right now? The uncertainly of having never played in the pros, therefore hope that he can get it done.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:37 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:13 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

The question is if it's mental, because something can absolutely change there, and his approach can change. If it's he's not capable of picking up the mlb breaking ball, that's a different thing

If he went and played the same levels as Marlowe at the same age Marlowe played them, he'd blow Marlowes numbers out of the water. What does Marlowe have that JK doesn't right now? The uncertainly of having never played in the pros, therefore hope that he can get it done.
Right, Marlowe is a virgin waiting in line to get into the Night Club and JK is a used and abused street walker in the alley behind the Club. Even though they are about as good looking and the virgin is a couple years older, the virgin is far more appealing.

How's that for an analogy. lol
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:37 pm

Right, Marlowe is a virgin waiting in line to get into the Night Club and JK is a used and abused street walker in the alley behind the Club. Even though they are about as good looking and the virgin is a couple years older, the virgin is far more appealing.

How's that for an analogy. lol
If I ever need an analogy involving women and/or sex, you are the first guy I'll go to.