2023 MLB Draft

Sexymarinersfan

Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:29 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:59 am
The Seattle Mariners have picks 22, 29, 30, 57, and 92 in July’s MLB Draft. Boston College’s Travis Honeyman. could be on the club’s radar. He is a 6-foot-2, 190-pound outfielder – he spent last season playing left field exclusively, but played center all sumer in the Cape Cod League.

In his 41 games for Boston College, he put up an impressive .329/.402/.506 slash line with six home runs. Then in 24 games for Orleans in the CCL slashed .289/.400/.530 with four homers. He doesn’t strike out much — 34 times between B.C. and the Cape — and draws enough walks to suggest strong discipline and zone judgment.

Prospects Live ranks Honeyman as their No. 22 prospect, and MLB Pipeline has him No. 23. Both are high on his potential, and Prospects Live said “Honeyman is a solid player in almost every aspect of the game and is a bit of a sum-of-his-parts type of player.” MLB Pipeline also gives him average or better scouting grades across the board, including a 55 hit tool projection and 50 power projection. Hemay in the conversation for the Mariners as high as the back end of the first round.

Click here to watch Joe Doyle of Prospects Live interview Honeyman: https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-mi ... n-college/

Prospects Insider
Related to Bobby?
Yes that's correct.

Travis Honeyman rarely played his freshman season at Boston College, receiving 14 at-bats and recording one hit in 14 games in 2021. It was initially a frustrating experience for Honeyman, who hoped to contribute immediately as a freshman.

Looking back, Honeyman believes playing a limited role in his first year benefited him. He learned from outfielder Sal Frelick and infielder Cody Morissette, who went in the first and second rounds of the 2021 MLB draft, respectively. He said it also helped him develop his mental approach to the game.

After playing sparingly his first season, Honeyman was an everyday player for Boston College last season. He capitalized on the additional playing time, hitting .329 with notable plate discipline. His success at Boston College and then in the Cape Cod League during the summer has put him in the mix to be a potential first-round pick in the 2023 MLB draft.

Honeyman’s brother, Bobby, was a 29th-round pick by the Seattle Mariners in 2018.

“I am looking to follow in his footsteps,” Honeyman said. “I have been waiting for that for my entire life. It has been my dream since I was a little kid. Ever since I started playing, I would go in the backyard and pretend I was a New York Yankee or something like that.”

Honeyman is a 6-foot-3, 195-pound outfielder with an all-around toolset that allows him to impact the game in numerous ways. Scouts rave about his contact ability and power potential. He also has a quality feel for the strike zone, as he recorded 16 strikeouts compared to 11 walks last season.

In the offseason, Honeyman has worked on adding strength to his frame and tightening up his two-strike approach.

“My biggest strength in my game is my hit tool,” Honeyman said. “I like to tell myself that I am a pretty good hitter.”

While Honeyman has made strides at the plate and with his mental approach, his biggest improvement has occurred in the field. Honeyman has gone from playing shortstop and third base in high school to the outfield at Boston College.

He struggled to adjust to the outfield at first, he admits. But as he has gained more experience, he has enhanced his skills, developing into a solid defender at all three outfield spots. Last season, Honeyman was Boston College’s starting left fielder.

Honeyman has above-average speed and solid arm strength. He has the instincts to play all three outfield spots and likely profiles best in center field.

“I’m not too sure what my position will be this spring,” Honeyman said. “I would like to play center field, but I’m not sure where I am going to play. I will probably play center field or right field. Wherever they put me, I’m OK with it.”

Honeyman will play a key role in Boston College’s success this spring. His performance will also impact his draft status, as scouts will get more looks at him.

Last season, Boston College finished with a 19-34 record. It marked the program’s third straight losing season. The Eagles hope to learn from last season and post a winning record this spring.

The Eagles are seeking their first ACC Tournament appearance since 2019. They also hope to make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2016.

"We want to make the ACC Tournament,” Honeyman said. “Since I have been here, we haven’t made the ACC Tournament. The goal is obviously to go to Omaha, but we must take it one step at a time. My first goal is making the ACC Tournament, and my dream has always been to make it to Omaha for the College World Series. We just can’t get ahead of ourselves.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:45 pm

Prob more pedigree clout to be related to Al Leiter than Bobby Honeyman. lol
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:54 am

Looks like Ben Joyce has an identical twin brother, Zach, that will be playing this year at Tennessee. If I'm getting the story straight, the two of them played together at a junior college but then Zach was out last year for some reason, presumably injury, while Ben went on to light up radar guns at Tennessee and then got drafted by the Angels.

This showed up in my YouTube feed: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/StpPd1c_qKM

I guess he throws real hard. There's no prospect data out there on him yet.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:17 pm

Yes, not only do we have 5 top 100 2023 amatures coming in via the draft but we also added Felnin C. who is a either the top IFA or #2, and the pitcher from Mexico who is rated in the 30's or 40's Jeter Martinez: RHP 6'4" 175#, 600K signee,16 years old.
https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Pla ... ID=1030649

They say since 9/2021 he has added 3MPH to the FB that hits 90. SO, a projectable lottery ticket. B ut would he be a top 100? or an 100 to 200 rated guy in the draft? If he was almost 18 instead of almost 17 would he be hitting 93-94 and 180#s?

I just see adding a likely number of at least 2 or 3 top 100 prospects between the IFA's and the draft picks when the updates come out post draft. I know Felnin could be added sooner but between the two sources this is nothing but good news.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:57 pm

Never heard of this guy before and he isn't on Prospects Live's Top 300 list either. But I think this is what elite bat speed looks like, albeit with a metal bat.

Jack Sanders, OF
Palomar College (i.e. some JC somewhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdsZUDWTac

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:22 am

Here's this kid Kevin McGonigle. He's a left-handed batting prep middle infielder. He's a bit shorter than average at 5'11", but that's not a big deal in baseball really.

Prospects Live has him at #18 right now, so he's in range.

Here's the blurb on him: McGonigle is a smaller, twitchy infielder with lightning for hands and impressive core strength at the plate. He's hit absolutely everywhere he's gone. It's a compact, strong, sometimes rotational cut that creates big pound-for-pound pull-side power, though McGonigle is in no rush to sellout for the juice. He'll ambush pitches over the right field fence, but it's not necessarily his game. This is an advanced hitter. McGonigle has a loose, flashy glove with bouncy actions on the dirt. He possesses an average arm and his feet can get short and choppy on balls his to his left and right. Some believe the profile is best suited as an impact second baseman, though proponents point to his athleticism, lateral burst and sparky actions as reasons to let him develop as a SS.

Perfect Game Page: https://www.perfectgame.org/players/pla ... ?ID=550896
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lx1HK6AZkE

Looks hitterish to me, more contact oriented than power. Bat speed seems to be there, but that's so difficult to tell with the naked eye. Taking another prep middle infielder early isn't the worst idea in the world, and obviously it's great that he bats lefty. My guess is he goes in the first round or he goes to college.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am

Interesting to think about, will NLI affect the mlb draft? I was talking to my coworker about her nephew, and she said that Ole miss told him they would match any bonus that an mlb team offers him. Now I don’t know who offered that exactly, and what exactly that means, but college teams may have a way to keep their prized recruits from the MLB
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am
Interesting to think about, will NLI affect the mlb draft? I was talking to my coworker about her nephew, and she said that Ole miss told him they would match any bonus that an mlb team offers him. Now I don’t know who offered that exactly, and what exactly that means, but college teams may have a way to keep their prized recruits from the MLB
I'm guessing you mean "NIL" or Name, Image, and Likeness? Anyway, it's surprising the money would get big like that for baseball, which isn't exactly a big revenue sport. But it's the SEC, so maybe it's a bigger deal down there. I can tell you that MLB would like nothing more than for NIL to transform college baseball into a true minor league system that they can just skim off of and at the same time shrink their minor league systems even more.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 am
Juliooooo wrote:
I'm guessing you mean "NIL" or Name, Image, and Likeness? Anyway, it's surprising the money would get big like that for baseball, which isn't exactly a big revenue sport. But it's the SEC, so maybe it's a bigger deal down there. I can tell you that MLB would like nothing more than for NIL to transform college baseball into a true minor league system that they can just skim off of and at the same time shrink their minor league systems even more.
Yes NIL. Got mixed up with NLI (National letter of intent) due to the signing day happening yesterday I guess. I don’t think it would be a bad thing at all. There will still be guys drafted in the top 20 that will go mlb, but those 2-10 round prospects, they can go to college and get a couple hundred K, then get a signing bonus later, it will certainly change how they think
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Insane that non revenue sports would waste money on baseball players. Maybe people actually attend games in the SEC?
dt