GL_Storm

Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:51 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:33 pm
Who put out that mock draft?
Northside Bound. So far, it's the ONLY mock I've found with all three Mariners selections in the first round.
There's this one from Dec 6, so kind of old. But these are all just for fun right now anyway since HS and College teams are just starting up.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects ... addg-ed27s

Did you happen to click on the video I posted about Eric Bitonti?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:50 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:51 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:33 pm
Who put out that mock draft?
Northside Bound. So far, it's the ONLY mock I've found with all three Mariners selections in the first round.
There's this one from Dec 6, so kind of old. But these are all just for fun right now anyway since HS and College teams are just starting up.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects ... addg-ed27s

Did you happen to click on the video I posted about Eric Bitonti?
I planned on watching it tonight. I'll send my feedback as soon as I get done watching. Thanks

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:32 am

So I watched some tape on Bitoni. He does have a pretty swing. Not a lot of moving parts. He does have some swing and miss to his game, but from the sound of it, if he can get that down the sky's the limit.

Check this arm out. Prospects Live has him ranked 25 on their big board. He's getting a TON of rotation on his slider, over 3000 RPM!! :shock: And it's already up to 90 MPH!!! Yes please.

https://youtu.be/Xbk_wGKLt3U

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:13 am

SO I have gone on the record in my a belief that between the top couple of our IFAs namely Felnin C but also the rest. I like Jeter Martinez the Mexican pitcher as well but not on Felnin's level.
But the draft:
3 1st rounders #22, 29, 30 but also 57 and 92

How many top 100 style guys do we get there? I think it is realistic to add 2 or 3 from the draft.

The M's currently have 3 in the top 100 in Young, Ford, and Miller.

Nothing is a set in concrete: Health, signing, performance, but all thing being equal how many top 100 types do you think we add with this years crop. I'd put 1 as the bare minimum.

What do you think?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:13 am
SO I have gone on the record in my a belief that between the top couple of our IFAs namely Felnin C but also the rest. I like Jeter Martinez the Mexican pitcher as well but not on Felnin's level.
But the draft:

How many top 100 style guys do we get there? I think it is realistic to add 2 or 3 from the draft.

Nothing is a set in concrete: Health, signing, performance, but all thing being equal how many top 100 types do you think we add with this years crop. I'd put 1 as the bare minimum.

What do you think?
It's too early to tell honestly. I mean, you just try to hit on as many as you can. We found Bryce Miller in the 4th round. So they can be found just about anywhere. I'm curious to see if Jerry stays the prep route or goes college. This organization has had a knack for finding and developing quality arms. And not so much on the offensive side. So I would say that if a majority of our top 5 picks in the first 100 are pitchers, that we're more likely than not to find more Top 100 guys. But honestly no one really knows. Look at Kyle Lewis for instance. Well on his way to become a bona-fide superstar before multiple multiple freak injuries wrecked his career.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:06 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 am
Pharmabro wrote:
But the draft:

What do you think?
It's too early to tell honestly. I mean, you just try to hit on as many as you can. We found Bryce Miller in the 4th round. So they can be found just about anywhere. I'm curious to see if Jerry stays the prep route or goes college. This organization has had a knack for finding and developing quality arms. And not so much on the offensive side. So I would say that if a majority of our top 5 picks in the first 100 are pitchers, that we're more likely than not to find more Top 100 guys. But honestly no one really knows. Look at Kyle Lewis for instance. Well on his way to become a bona-fide superstar before multiple multiple freak injuries wrecked his career.
My personal preference would be that they draft 3 straight prep position players, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do exactly the opposite and draft 3 straight college pitchers. I mean, if your strength is developing pitching, why not lean into it?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:35 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:06 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 am
Pharmabro wrote:
But the draft:

What do you think?
My personal preference would be that they draft 3 straight prep position players, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do exactly the opposite and draft 3 straight college pitchers. I mean, if your strength is developing pitching, why not lean into it?
I've thought about this too. And you're exactly right. If you're niche as an organization is identifying, drafting, and developmentalizing a certain area, then wouldn't you be more inclined to lean more towards that route come draft day as an organization? Great point storm!

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:29 am

Good point.

We are getting asked about Woo, Brash, Hancock, Miller, and you gotta like guys like Kirby, Gilbert,

The position guys have not been bad lately:
Cal, Julio, even guys like Moore, Haggerty, TT, even a vet like Saurez turning it around here is a god sign. How many times in the past did we have one Winker followed by a Figgins, Speizio, etc.

Perhaps JD has a better development staff than some here credit him with.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:29 am
Good point.

We are getting asked about Woo, Brash, Hancock, Miller, and you gotta like guys like Kirby, Gilbert,

Cal, Julio, even guys like Moore, Haggerty, TT, even a vet like Saurez turning it around here is a god sign. How many times in the past did we have one Winker followed by a Figgins, Speizio, etc.

https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-mi ... in-peoria/

Prospectinsider.com has a good article about former Mariner SS Jack Wilson's son Jacob Wilson, who I believe was reported to be injured yesterday diving into the stands by Joe Doyle. Anyways, his hit tool is near elite at 65, and he is currently ranked number 9 on the Top 100 list(Fangraphs ranked #6). Only struck out 7 times all last season to go with his 25 walks. Would love to see him slide down to 22. Even if he doesn't stick at SS. If you can hit, they'll make a spot.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/eric-bitonti-800724

Found a nice little bio on you're guy Storm. His hit tool is currently ranked 45. Ugh

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:30 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am
Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:29 am
Good point.

https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-mi ... in-peoria/

Prospectinsider.com has a good article about former Mariner SS Jack Wilson's son Jacob Wilson, who I believe was reported to be injured yesterday diving into the stands by Joe Doyle. Anyways, his hit tool is near elite at 65, and he is currently ranked number 9 on the Top 100 list. Only struck out 7 times all last season to go with his 25 walks. Would love to see him slide down to 22. Even if he doesn't stick at SS. If you can hit, they'll make a spot.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/eric-bitonti-800724

Found a nice little bio on you're guy Storm. His hit tool is currently ranked 45. Ugh
I think Jacob Wilson will probably slide. The first round ranking doesn't make any sense to me. He's got some stuff working against him: 1) small college in a third tier conference, 2) right-handed batter, 3) metal bats devalue the power he's shown 4) his numbers went down substantially in the CCBL, though the sample size was limited. He's got that awesome low K-rate, but the swing isn't major league, at all, and by the eyeball test he simply does not look strong. To me, he looks like the upside is a Dylan Moore type with better contact ability. That's still a good player, but I would look for him in the late 2nd or 3rd round. I don't see how you can justify the first round with the quality arms that will be available.

Regarding the WAC, I doubt the quality of competition is even up to the level of the travel teams these guys play on in High School. How many pitchers in that league can break 91? How many can find the plate with their secondaries?

On Bitonti, yeah I know that some don't like his hit tool but we'll see how that goes in the next few months. All of these services copy each other, especially MLB pipeline and the bad hit tool rep may have come from just one or two scouting looks. But regardless, the swing is so advanced I would still grab him. You know there were scouts that questioned Mike Trout's hit tool in High School as well.