Fresh look at a Bryan Reynolds trade with updated values

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:22 pm

tv55.JPG
tv55.JPG (33.32 KiB) Viewed 514 times
dt

D-train

Re: Fresh look at a Bryan Reynolds trade with updated values

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:24 pm

Yeah or Nay. Would you do this trade? I would.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:12 pm

Both Teo and Pollock will be gone after this season so it is highly likely we will need both Corner OFers AGAIN in 9 months.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 pm

Reynolds value should have taken a bigger hit he is not a center fielder and his OPS+ was in the 120s last season. He is not Juan Soto, Judge, or Tatis who even if they are not at a premium defensive position demand value as premium level bats. Reynolds has demostrated he is neither. The Values this still thinks he is a center fielder with a premium bat.

With your proposed package you are basically giving away 4 top 100 picks
Brash, Miller, comp round B, and our current #1, in Ford and a decent throw in who those idiots value as more than the Comp Rd B pick
Locklear was the #58 pick in 2022 vs a top 30 pick coming up and millions in cash for picks. I would value the Comp B at something like double Locklear.

Reynolds is being valued as if he is a franchise player and he is just a dude. He is Haniger, Teo, just a dude.

He is a good player and not a great player. That is a bigger package than better players have been traded for in the past. Overpay. A year ago I could have dismissed 2021 way below average D in CF as bad-luck or nagging injuries, etc. AND coming off a 145 OPS+ in CF I was like that could be a guy that develops power and walks as he ages and a up the middle guy with a 150 -160 OPS+? That is our MVP candidate! Now 2 years in a row CF D that clearly indicates he should be a in a corner and a OPS+ that is OK for a corner 126 OPS+?

Nah.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:41 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 pm
Reynolds value should have taken a bigger hit he is not a center fielder and his OPS+ was in the 120s last season. He is not Juan Soto, Judge, or Tatis who even if they are not at a premium defensive position demand value as premium level bats. Reynolds has demostrated he is neither. The Values this still thinks he is a center fielder with a premium bat.

Brash, Miller, comp round B, and our current #1, in Ford and a decent throw in who those idiots value as more than the Comp Rd B pick
Locklear was the #58 pick in 2022 vs a top 30 pick coming up and millions in cash for picks. I would value the Comp B at something like double Locklear.

Reynolds is being valued as if he is a franchise player and he is just a dude. He is Haniger, Teo, just a dude.

He is a good player and not a great player. That is a bigger package than better players have been traded for in the past. Overpay. A year ago I could have dismissed 2021 way below average D in CF as bad-luck or nagging injuries, etc. AND coming off a 145 OPS+ in CF I was like that could be a guy that develops power and walks as he ages and a up the middle guy with a 150 -160 OPS+? That is our MVP candidate! Now 2 years in a row CF D that clearly indicates he should be a in a corner and a OPS+ that is OK for a corner 126 OPS+?

Nah.
Reasonable opinion but the only one that would hurt near terms is Brash who is probably a reliever. A good one but still just a BP arm.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:41 pm
Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 pm

Nah.
Reasonable opinion but the only one that would hurt near terms is Brash who is probably a reliever. A good one but still just a BP arm.
Brash is my 2nd best BP guy behind Munoz who jumped to 50-something million in value. I think a few of us here know values of some of our pieces a little better than an outside viewer.
To the outsider Brash was a .1 WAR guy with a 4.44 ERA But to me he is an electric arm in the BP who had 43K in 30 innings, a 1.97 FIP, 2.35 ERA and is not at all far behind Munoz
2022 65 innings 2.49 ERA 2.04 FIP, 96K/65 innings (Munoz)

Oh and Miller is a stud prospect. If the package was Miller, Ford, CompB and a couple of no-name top 30 types it would still be an over-pay but I would probably do-it. But reluctantly.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:30 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:24 pm
Nope

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:04 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:30 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:24 pm
Nope
Which one kills it for you, Harry?
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:08 pm

Can't you throw in JK and Flexon

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:08 pm
Can't you throw in JK and Flexon
They don't help and it limits it to 4 or 5 players per team.
dt