Jerry attempts to justify half assing the off season again

D-train

Jerry attempts to justify half assing the off season again

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:25 pm

From Brent Stecker's piece on Mynorthwest.com
“We didn’t view our offseason goal as trying to close a 16-game gap with the Astros,” Dipoto told Brock and Salk. “We don’t feel like we were a true 16-game separation away from them, because our team changed so much while that was all happening. So broadly, yeah, we finished behind them by that amount. More acutely – what we saw after Luis (Castillo) joined the team. Second-half George Kirby was considerably different than first-half George Kirby. You know, June to September Julio (Rodríguez) was very different than April to May Julio, and then the same for Cal Raleigh.

“Our team evolved, and through all that, we didn’t actually play the Astros very much in the second half… So a lot of the hole we dug for ourselves, we dug before our team had truly evolved into the team that we ultimately became. And I think that’s an important thing to remember as we look toward ’23, is that young teams are constantly growing, and we saw a bit of a greenhouse effect midseason. There’s still opportunity for us to continue to grow because that’s how our team is built.”
dt

D-train

Re: Jerry attempts to justify half assing the off season again

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm

And why not try to improve as much as you possibly can. Two reasons:

1. Because winning the WS is not the goal.

2. Money.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:39 pm

I don’t care about trying to close a gap between the Ms and the Astros. I care about building a tank that has a realistic chance to compete in the playoffs. They simply didn’t have the offense last year and didn’t do enough. I’m fine with Marco or Flexed as the 5th starter. They won’t be starting in the playoffs anyways. They need more bats though, especially bars that cat hit righties.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:36 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:39 pm
I don’t care about trying to close a gap between the Ms and the Astros. I care about building a tank that has a realistic chance to compete in the playoffs. They simply didn’t have the offense last year and didn’t do enough. I’m fine with Marco or Flexed as the 5th starter. They won’t be starting in the playoffs anyways. They need more bats though, especially bars that cat hit righties.
Yep our best left-handed bat is Wong. That is just sad.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:36 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:39 pm
Yep our best left-handed bat is Wong. That is just sad.
I’d argue it’s probably going to be Cal, but still… also, Julio hits righties the best of anyone on the team, so it’s not all lost, but Teo, Geno, France are all pretty mediocre against righties. That’s still 2-3 holes in the lineup if nobody steps up.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:06 pm

It must be exhausting for him to constantly be in defense mode. Every interview he has to get on there and pretend this club did all it could to get better. Again, my favorite line that he uses is "just remember, the club that we have today will not end up being the club we have at the end of the season (see 2022)..." as if the first half of the year just doesn't matter. Your team isn't always going to climb out 0f 10-game-under .500 holes Jerry.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:39 pm

Exactly it seems to me it would have been a lot easier to get significantly better than have to spend the whole off season explaining why you didn't
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:51 pm

It would have been easier to have just signed a big contract or two? That's how he explains it to his bosses, hey, it was easier

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:24 pm

Remember the Astros were sucking ass the first fourth of the season? Dipshito conveniently doesn't remember that.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:51 pm
It would have been easier to have just signed a big contract or two? That's how he explains it to his bosses, hey, it was easier
Why is this the first line people always go to?

Could have offered Joc Pederson a 2-year $30 million deal... that would move them up from 18th to... WAIT FOR IT... 17th ( :shock: :shock: :shock: ) in the league in payroll and have answered a lot of questions at DH + need for a LH bat. Oh... and it's before the 2-year window where the world explodes because all of a sudden they've hit the point where they're one of the leaders in future contracts.