Where do we stand on Kelenic?

What is your oppinion of Kelenic after his strong start to the Spring?

He is finally reaching his potential
53%
He will still suck when the bright lights come on
30%
Trade him now while you can still get something for him
17%

Total votes: 30

rockycola

Re: Where do we stand on Kelenic?

Post by rockycola » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:43 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:24 pm
I'm mostly thinking he MIGHT be showing the signs of his potential. Since he doesn't cost the team much, I'd keep him to see if things are finally coming around. The kid has been the victim of the hype surrounding him. Let's see what he's got.
Agreed, Mr. Dragon. I think finally he's been humbled and that puts him a couple steps toward potentially realizing his potential.

Maybe.

Or, if the brass thinks he is having a great month but thinks it's a mirage, pull the plug and trade him for a bag of peanut shells.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:26 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:00 pm
Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 pm
I think the kid is finally starting to figure it out. It just takes some longer than others. If I imagined me at 23 with all that pressure and expectations on my shoulders Id probably crumble too. I barely trust my 23 year old to pay his credit card bills on time and take out the trash lol I think he’s probably had some good counselling this winter, gone back to basics and told to quit thinking he’s a superstar when he’s not. Little bit of humble pie sometimes goes a long ways. Seeing the Julio contract and going over his overall performance probably made him realize what he has to lose. I watched him interviewed on the brock and Salk show during spring training and that kid is intense. Doesn’t seem to laugh or find joy in anything. He probably just put so much pressure on himself that he couldn’t just relax and do what came naturally. I really do think he’s taken a proper step back to take 2 forward.
The only thing I was doing well at 23 was drinking and not falling over!
I was doing at least one other thing really well. Unless all those girls were great actresses.... 8-)
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:56 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:45 am

Yes. I can just hear my Mom saying “You hurried”.
You know, I think I would take it. Maybe JK is a fluke. Maybe he is just hitting well against pitching in spring training that is far from par for the regular season. Maybe he's in a good head space now, but will get flustered and regress in the regular season once he chases of few pitches out of the zone and strikes out a half dozen times.

Reynolds is more of a proven commodity than JK. I think he works harder and is more consistent than Jesse Winker was.

But, he has two years of arbitration eligibility remaining. He asked the Bucs for an 8-Year, $134M extension (they came in at 6 and $80M - not really close). So I would feel better about the trade if they immediately locked him in with that kind of extension. Otherwise, it seems like a lot to give away for 2 years of guaranteed service. I am hoping they pony up for Teoscar, especially if he is even close to the hype. An outfield of Teoscar, Reynolds and JRod would be pretty freaking scary.

In reality, I think the M's are sticking with JK. My hope is that none of the worries I expressed 3 paragraphs ago come to pass. My fervent hope is that we are starting to see the real JK emerge. He needed to be humbled. He needed to fail in order to learn. He needed to let JRod surpass him so he wasn't in his shadow. He needed to fix his swing. Whatever. If we keep JK and Hancock and he winds up being a .230 hitter with 25-30 bombs, it would still be worth it. Maybe he establishes himself and then they trade him next offseason...

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:39 am

So JK so far
ST (51 ABs) .353 .389 .706 1.095
regular season (30 ABS) 300 .344 .500 .844

So far so good. I saw on the broadcast that he has the highest average exit velo on the team so far.

He has looked good in the box. He has the stats that show his approach is getting results. He has the Sabre factor with the average exit velocity to back up the eye test and the results. How do you all feel about JKs 2023 so far?

Small correction I just looked up the average exit velo and it was shocking according to
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderbo ... rtDir=desc
#36 JP 93.6
#45 Saurez 92.6
#52 JK 92.4

How in the heck does JP have near top of MLB exit velo?

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:04 am

And just to reinforce where we are OPS+ 91, ERA 141 through 10 games. Wasting the good pitching with subpar hitting.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:54 am

At this rate JK will be batting 4th by June.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:15 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:39 am
So JK so far
ST (51 ABs) .353 .389 .706 1.095
regular season (33 ABS).333 .405 1.041

updated

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:20 am

I said he'd be our best hitter by OPS by July 2024 and I stand by that. He takes more walks than Julio, doesn't rely on infield singles the way Julio does to keep his avg up. I think Jarred is just a more sound hitter. Julio is far too aggressive at the plate for his own good.

I do like the way Julio uses the whole field and Jarred is doing that much better this year. And the thing that Julio is generally really good at is being good in the 1st inning and being good in key/clutch situations. Julio, though, as of 4/11, really needs to stop chasing bad pitches, be more discerning and start squaring pitches up. Fuck

I'd like to see a lineup of:
Moore
Kelenic
Julio
France
Raleigh
Hernandez
Suarez
Pollock dh
Crawford

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 am

💰
Attachments
7hr0d3.jpg
7hr0d3.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 244 times

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:07 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:20 am

I'd like to see a lineup of:
Moore
Kelenic
Julio
France
Raleigh
Hernandez
Suarez
Pollock dh
Crawford
I don't know about Moore at leadoff, but right now I'd like to see JK moved up to 1st or 2nd and Julio at 3.

Maybe
JK
France
Julio
Suarez
Hernandez
Cal
Pollock
Moore
Crawford

When is Moore due back anyway? Damn I can't stand the offense we get from 2nd Base. Makes Harold Reynolds look like a Silver Slugger and Bret Boone look like Babe Ruth!