Where do we stand on Kelenic?

What is your oppinion of Kelenic after his strong start to the Spring?

He is finally reaching his potential
53%
He will still suck when the bright lights come on
30%
Trade him now while you can still get something for him
17%

Total votes: 30

seattlefan-daBronx

Re: Where do we stand on Kelenic?

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:20 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:00 pm
seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:55 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:29 pm
Jarred has had about as good of a spring as any one could imagine. My question is has this changed your perception of him and his future with the M's. Personally, I don't put much into spring training numbers. The ball carries like crazy in Arizona and Breaking pitches are notoriously flat in the thin dry air. Pitchers are also focusing on process and tweaking things rather than worrying too much about results. That being said Hitting well in spring training certainly beats the alternative. If nothing else he may have resurrected his status as a prospect a little bit and may have revived some of his trade value.
I believe in poor Jarrod about as much as Bigfoot.
105951036-1559761167164bigfoot.jpg
You know, they have a reality TV show about that now, so it must be true! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D
Ben. Downloaded my first Ip Man for the flight back!
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:24 pm

I think he's showing signs of being a roughly league-average hitter, maybe a bit better than that, and then the power, baserunning, and outfield defense elevates him considerably from that point. I think 3.5 WAR with a 115 WRC+ is achievable. League average BA in 2022 was .241 for all players. I think if he hits .245 or above we'll all be thrilled.

Optimistic Ms Fan

Post by Optimistic Ms Fan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 pm

I think the kid is finally starting to figure it out. It just takes some longer than others. If I imagined me at 23 with all that pressure and expectations on my shoulders Id probably crumble too. I barely trust my 23 year old to pay his credit card bills on time and take out the trash lol I think he’s probably had some good counselling this winter, gone back to basics and told to quit thinking he’s a superstar when he’s not. Little bit of humble pie sometimes goes a long ways. Seeing the Julio contract and going over his overall performance probably made him realize what he has to lose. I watched him interviewed on the brock and Salk show during spring training and that kid is intense. Doesn’t seem to laugh or find joy in anything. He probably just put so much pressure on himself that he couldn’t just relax and do what came naturally. I really do think he’s taken a proper step back to take 2 forward.
Formerly balefire uk :D Now I'm optimistic!

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:12 pm

He's certainly earned the right to start but I suspect that he will falter when his mental issues leak out. If I could package him with Hancock and another prospect I'd pull the trigger . . . BOOM

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:17 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:12 pm
He's certainly earned the right to start but I suspect that he will falter when his mental issues leak out. If I could package him with Hancock and another prospect I'd pull the trigger . . . BOOM
For….who…..

Reynolds?

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:39 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Chuck. Nice to meet you and your wife yesterday.
Next time down let's play some golf!
You folks sure live in a beautiful spot.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:19 pm

Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 pm
It just takes some longer than others.
I don't think it's taken him all that long really, especially when you consider the missed year of development. In terms of plate appearances, he's at a total of 1,857 combined for all levels, and you can make an argument that he basically skipped AA and AAA (not literally but almost) until the organization finally decided a step back was necessary last year.

One thought that has occurred to me with the JK situation the last two years is the importance of getting in those high level plate appearances before that first promotion to the major leagues. Yes, there are a few players that can handle a fast pace of promotion, and so, sure, if you have a young Pujols in your system then by all means go ahead and bring him to the big league club. But most guys need a fair chunk of time at AA and AAA as an adaptation process before facing major league pitching for the first time. For most guys, the standard should be something like 600-1000 upper level plate appearances.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:45 am

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:17 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
For….who…..

Reynolds?
Yes. I can just hear my Mom saying “You hurried”.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:48 am

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:39 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Chuck. Nice to meet you and your wife yesterday.
Next time down let's play some golf!
You folks sure live in a beautiful spot.
I will be healthy and set it up. Jay and TLO play and Darren gets his moneys worth 😂

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:00 pm

Optimistic Ms Fan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 pm
I think the kid is finally starting to figure it out. It just takes some longer than others. If I imagined me at 23 with all that pressure and expectations on my shoulders Id probably crumble too. I barely trust my 23 year old to pay his credit card bills on time and take out the trash lol I think he’s probably had some good counselling this winter, gone back to basics and told to quit thinking he’s a superstar when he’s not. Little bit of humble pie sometimes goes a long ways. Seeing the Julio contract and going over his overall performance probably made him realize what he has to lose. I watched him interviewed on the brock and Salk show during spring training and that kid is intense. Doesn’t seem to laugh or find joy in anything. He probably just put so much pressure on himself that he couldn’t just relax and do what came naturally. I really do think he’s taken a proper step back to take 2 forward.
The only thing I was doing well at 23 was drinking and not falling over!