Latest Roster projection

D-train

Latest Roster projection

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:29 pm

By Ryan Divish
Seattle Times staff reporter
PEORIA, Ariz. — The hopes of off-day golf or pool time for Mariners staff and players were dampened by gray skies and rain on Tuesday in Phoenix. Their second of two scheduled days without games during the Cactus League was greeted by weather reminiscent of early June in the Puget Sound.

With their minor-leaguers also having an off day, the Mariners’ sprawling spring-training complex was largely empty except for a few players doing rehab work.

When the Mariners return to the field Wednesday night vs. the Dodgers, they will start rolling out their regular-season lineups in the remaining six days of Cactus League games. Opening day on March 30 at T-Mobile Park looms.

MARINERS SPRING TRAINING: THE LATEST FROM PEORIA
The Seattle Mariners conducted Spring Training workouts Sunday, Feb 19, 2023 at the Peoria Sports Complex, in Peoria, AZ. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
Partnership of Cal Raleigh, Tom Murphy gives Mariners ‘real advantage’ at catcher
‘Sir’ Harry Ford returns to Mariners after run in World Baseball Classic
Robbie Ray is throwing gas again, and he has Mariners camp buzzing

More

An oblique injury to Dylan Moore that could keep him out at least a month and the continued shoulder fatigue of Tommy La Stella have altered the opening-day roster projection a little.

In a camp that had minimal competition for spots, the last week of spring training does have some intrigue for perhaps the last two spots — one bench player and one reliever — on the 26-man roster.

Of course, this could all change if Jerry Dipoto, Mariners president of baseball operations, gets creative in acquiring at least one player who is out of minor-league options and isn’t going to make a roster.

ADVERTISING
Starting rotation (5)
Luis Castillo, RHP
Robbie Ray, LHP
Logan Gilbert, RHP
Marco Gonzales, LHP
George Kirby, RHP
The rotation has been injury-free all spring. There have been some fans concerned about Castillo’s numbers this spring. But this was expected. He’s done this long enough to understand his progression to being ready, which includes not pitching like you are trying to make the team in spring training.

Ray’s velocity has returned. Both he and Gilbert have looked solid, showing high velocity and positive results with split-finger change-ups.

The order above is how the Mariners are expected to slot out the rotation. Unlike a year ago, the Mariners didn’t use their social media platform to announce Castillo as the opening-day starter; he basically announced it himself early in spring. And really, who else could it be?

There are rumors that some teams have been told to wait to announce their opening-day starters so MLB Network can have an unveiling show next week.

But you can kind of just work backward from opening day to see that it is Castillo.

Some may ask why Gonzales is ahead of Kirby?

It’s slotted that way to allow Kirby, who essentially doubled his innings workload last season, a later start for spring-training buildup and also work in extra days off in the first months of the season.

ADVERTISING
Bullpen (8)
Paul Sewald, RHP
Andres Munoz, RHP
Matt Brash, RHP
Diego Castillo, RHP
Penn Murfee, RHP
Chris Flexen, RHP
Trevor Gott, RHP
Matt Festa, RHP
Could the Mariners have another all-right-handed bullpen?

“We’ll see,” manager Scott Servais said.

Does he have a preference?

“We’ll see,” he said.

It has seemed like Servais would prefer to have a lefty in the bullpen to combat lefties such as Yordan Alvarez of the Astros, Shohei Ohtani of the Angels and Corey Seager of the Rangers. Besides Munoz, there isn’t one reliever in that bullpen who neutralizes lefties.

If the Mariners decide to add a lefty, it appears that Gabe Speier would win the job over Tayler Saucedo.

Speier, 25, was a waivers claim from the Royals this offseason. He made 17 relief appearances with Kansas City, posting a 2.33 earned-run average. In 19 1/3 innings, he allowed 16 hits with 14 strikeouts and five walks. Over the parts of four seasons at the MLB level (2019-2022), left-handed batters had a .170/.265/.322 slash line against Speier in the small sample of 68 plate appearances. Speier has a minor-league option remaining, so it’s possible he’s shuffled back and forth between Class AAA Tacoma if he doesn’t make the team.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

After checking with MLB sources, Festa has one more minor-league option remaining so either he or Penn Murfee would likely be the candidates to be optioned to Tacoma to make room for Speier.

Of course, there is the status of Flexen as the long reliever. Will he be traded before opening day? It seems the Mariners would prefer to keep him as a long reliever and an emergency starter.

Outfielders (4)
Julio Rodriguez
Teoscar Hernandez
Jarred Kelenic
A.J. Pollock
Kelenic has put up outstanding numbers this spring, crediting swing changes and simplifying his approach at the plate. The Mariners got a bit of a scare when Kelenic felt some tightness in his left quadriceps and had to be removed from Monday’s game as a precaution. He’s expected to be fine.

ADVERTISING
Infielders (6)
Ty France
Kolten Wong
J.P. Crawford
Eugenio Suarez
Sam Haggerty
Mason McCoy
As of Tuesday, La Stella had yet to appear in a Cactus League game as a position player due to fatigue in his throwing shoulder. He has swung the bat relatively well in the last few games. But unless he suddenly starts playing defense in these games and shows that his shoulder can handle even minimal innings, he will likely start the season on the 10-day injured list.

With the Giants picking up most of his salary this season, the Mariners signed La Stella to a one-year veteran’s minimum to be a bench player who could fill in at first base or third base and see time as the designated hitter.

The versatile Haggerty will play all over. The Mariners love his athleticism and ability to influence the game with his speed by bringing him off the bench as a pinch-hitter or pinch-runner.

Most Read Sports Stories
Analysis: What to make of Seahawks’ 2019 draft with L.J. Collier gone
Seahawks release DT Al Woods as they continue to reshape defensive line
Why a Bobby Wagner-Seahawks reunion would make sense
What the Mariners roster would look like if the season started today
Mariners’ Cal Raleigh chases dreams one grueling workout at a time VIEW
McCoy is the odds-on favorite to take Moore’s role as the backup middle infielder, giving Crawford time off at shortstop to keep him healthy.

McCoy, who turns 28 on March 31, is a plus defensive shortstop with the capability of playing second base or third base at a reasonable level. He was acquired from the Orioles in a minor-league trade last season and had a career year with AAA Tacoma, posting a .264/.331/.397 slash line with 23 doubles, five triples, 21 homers, 63 RBI, 50 walks and 130 strikeouts.

“I think he does a good job,” Servais said. “He’s made the plays. I don’t think it’s gonna be flashy. It’s pretty steady. And that’s what you’re looking for in that spot when put them in there — catch the ground balls, turn outs into outs. I think he’s had a good spring. He’s swung the bat pretty well. He had kind of a breakout year last year offensively at the Triple-A level. I think he’s very careful.”

Sponsored
Of course, that’s the spot where Dipoto could easily add a player via waiver claim or minor trade.

Catchers (3)
Cal Raleigh
Tom Murphy
Cooper Hummel
The projected catching duo will be a catching trio, with Hummel expected to make the team.

A switch-hitter acquired in the trade that sent Kyle Lewis to the Diamondbacks, Hummel has seemingly played his way onto the team as a bench player who can play left field and right field and first base along with getting behind the plate.

Having Hummel on the roster will open up the designated hitter spot to Raleigh to give him “rest” days while keeping his bat in the lineup. The Mariners likely won’t use Hummel much at catcher, but he’s more than capable of filling in if needed. The switch-hitting component provides more flexibility in the batting order for Servais.
dt

Michael K.

Re: Latest Roster projection

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:19 pm

Seems like getting Hummel is a big deal. I like the idea of letting Cal play DH a little. I'd like it less though if we actually had a fucking DH.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:34 pm

I have a Pro tip for travel for you guys. NEVER take a red eye home from vacation when you have to work the next day. If I live 1000 years I will never figure out wtf I was thinking when I booked that flight. Insanity.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:47 pm

Only 24 PAs but Klew is hitting .500 with a 1.533 OPS. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:51 pm

Who needs elite Free agents on the roster when you can watch Pollock and La Stella while eating slightly above average food?
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:51 pm
Who needs elite Free agents on the roster when you can watch Pollock and La Stella while eating slightly above average food?
Remember the Ichi-roll?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:59 pm

All those teams out there inquiring about our pitching depth. Love to see it!

With spring training winding down, Dipoto said the Mariners are receiving “check-in phone calls” from teams around MLB that are interested in Seattle’s pitching.

“Not surprisingly, teams want to check in with us on pitching depth because that is something we have a little bit more of,” he said. “They’ve made their check-ins, and our position remains the same. We’re not truly interested in depleting our own resources unless it makes sense for us. If the opportunity that arises, whatever it is, makes sense for us, we’ll check into it closer. I don’t know that will do anything.”

Dipoto stressed how much he likes the current setup of the Mariners.

“I like our team the way it is right now,” Dipoto said. “This team likes to play together, we’ve got a lot of talent. I feel like we have a legitimate major league contributor at every position.”

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:34 pm
I have a Pro tip for travel for you guys. NEVER take a red eye home from vacation when you have to work the next day. If I live 1000 years I will never figure out wtf I was thinking when I booked that flight. Insanity.
Hey you got to spend quality time at Gina’s pool……..

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:40 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Yes the weather was so conducive for pool time. ;)
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:34 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:12 pm
D-train wrote:
NOW he's in camp!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-set-s ... 023-season