Where do we stand on JP Crawford?

Big_Maple

Re: Where do we stand on JP Crawford?

Post by Big_Maple » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:10 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:50 pm

Why is that, just because he can't hit a baseball? You gonna love this LL article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lookou ... eview-2023
Meh. I haven't been a big fan - felt strongly that we should have upgraded last year or the year before. Minimally we should have stuck him at 2B freeing up a chance to seriously upgrade SS. I don't think KWong is our answer.

The article mentions clubhouse potential. I always value clubhouse leadership, but lead by example. Let your offensive and defensive metrics match your words. We don't need another Dee Gordon. We need more Raul Ibenezes.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:44 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:54 pm
Crawford Sucks.

Wow, zero mention of the game last night. Looked like Kirby was amazing and Julio on fire.
Why is that, just because he can't hit a baseball? You gonna love this LL article

He’s a leader who doesn’t play baseball at a high enough level to warrant the playing time he gets because he can’t hit and plays below-average defense. The author basically said all he’s good for is positive vibes and walking enough that he can turn over the lineup.

Why on earth are we settling for that?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
Crawford Sucks.

Wow, zero mention of the game last night. Looked like Kirby was amazing and Julio on fire.

Reminds me of my supposedly Green intensely Environmentally focused self sustainable company now mandating that we completely unnecessarily come in 2 days a week. That's thousands of people emitting carbon admissions because they think in person engagement fosters more of a "community" environment and enhances corporate culture.. I spent over 2 hours commuting to day to spend about 3 hours in the office. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If JP is the Leader this team is FUBAR....Would be like DeeJay Dallas being the team leader of the Hawks....
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
Crawford Sucks.

Reminds me of my supposedly Green intensely Environmentally focused self sustainable company now mandating that we completely unnecessarily come in 2 days a week. That's thousands of people emitting carbon admissions because they think in person engagement fosters more of a "community" environment and enhances corporate culture.. I spent over 2 hours commuting to day to spend about 3 hours in the office. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If JP is the Leader this team is FUBAR....Would be like DeeJay Dallas being the team leader of the Hawks....
Yeah BUT he believes in Aliens.....so he is cool! :D
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:18 pm

Ex Mariner alert....Might even hit more HRs than JP.
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:15 pm

One can argue that Crawford is the weakest link in the lineup. What is even more frustrating is the number of shortstops that were out there to be had. Those opportunities don't come along every year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:26 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:15 pm
One can argue that Crawford is the weakest link in the lineup. What is even more frustrating is the number of shortstops that were out there to be had. Those opportunities don't come along every year.
Ya don't say. If Crawford sucks again we are fucked until 2025 hoping Axel or Cole Young pan out.
Shortstop: Tim Anderson (club option), Elvis Andrus, Javier Báez (opt-out), Brandon Crawford, Paul DeJong (club option), Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Adalberto Mondesi, Amed Rosario
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:00 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:55 pm
It's his shoulder that's soggy
You and Harmony are just two pea's in a pod.
Thank you for the undeserved compliment. :)

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:33 pm

FanGraphs columnist Ben Clemens offers his take on J.P. Crawford:
Welcome to the world of high expectations, Mariners fans. Crawford has been steady in Seattle, particularly if you take last year’s poor defensive numbers with a grain of salt. He’s part of the veteran core of this Mariners team, but there was still popular consensus around signing a top-tier shortstop and moving on from Crawford only a year into his recent contract extension.

I don’t really get it, because Crawford is the kind of solid building block that teams love to accumulate around their stars. His offensive game is low-wattage but high-competence. Not everyone has light-tower power, and Crawford understands his own limitations there, opting instead to work walks and spray flares to all fields. It’s a capped offensive profile, but he makes the most of it. Singles and walks might not get you on video game covers, but they get you on base for the boppers to send you home happy.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-positi ... shortstop/

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 am

Thought that was interesting from the article, his having a good eye but he just can't hit a baseball. Remember that from before, the hopeful element of a breakout. He'd learn to square up a pitch. So he has become more effective by not swinging

Terms of being a leader, don't believe that needs to be about slash lines. Could be more him not bringing an ego.