Kirby AND Gilbert will both be limited

D-train

Kirby AND Gilbert will both be limited

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Gilbert's pitch count will be limited early and they are actually going to skip Kirby's starts on off days so we will get more Meatball Marco starts and less potential Cy Young winner. These guy just refuse to get out of their own way.
Servais also gave some insight into how he would manage George Kirby early on. If you remember, Kirby and Logan Gilbert were held back in their work early this spring and haven’t built up to the same pitch count the veteran starters have at this point. Do not look for them to throw 100 pitches in their first outings.

“That’s not going to be the case,” he said. “If you get a good outing out of them it might be five (innings) and 85-ish (pitches), but we will see. You have to trust your eyes and how the game is going. The game dictates a lot of that.”

Gilbert will be a full-go once his pitch count is fully built up. With Kirby, they won’t look to limit his innings, rather they will build him up slowly with an assist from the schedule.

“Starting in the 5-hole (fifth spot in the rotation), he is going to get some extra rest between starts, which will be good for him as we ramp up throughout the season,” Servais said of Kirby.
dt

GL_Storm

Re: Kirby AND Gilbert will both be limited

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 pm

I don't know. I trust the Mariners when it comes to pitchers. Not so much with the hitters, but with the pitchers they seem to know what they're doing.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:28 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 pm
I don't know. I trust the Mariners when it comes to pitchers. Not so much with the hitters, but with the pitchers they seem to know what they're doing.
Yeah they really nailed in with the 6 man rotation:
04/16/21 Seattle Mariners placed LHP James Paxton on the 60-day injured list. Left forearm strain.

04/26/21 Seattle Mariners placed LHP Nick Margevicius on the 10-day injured list. Left shoulder inflammation.

04/29/21 Seattle Mariners placed LHP Marco Gonzales on the 10-day injured list. Left forearm strain.

05/13/21 Seattle Mariners placed RHP Ljay Newsome on the 60-day injured list. UCL injury.

05/22/21 05/21/21 Seattle Mariners placed RHP Robert Dugger on the 10-day injured list.

06/02/21 Seattle Mariners placed RHP Justin Dunn on the 10-day injured list. Right shoulder inflammation.
6 starters injured in 47 days. ZERO in 10 months of season since they went back to the 5 man but yeah never question them and their PhDs in human anatomy and physiology.. lol
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:44 am

You have to admit that if they limit their innings, nobody will get into part of a contract that would pay them for winning a Cy Young. I doubt they have anything in their contract, but you never know.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:48 am

ddraig wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:44 am
You have to admit that if they limit their innings, nobody will get into part of a contract that would pay them for winning a Cy Young. I doubt they have anything in their contract, but you never know.
It pretty much eliminates Kirby's chances at a CY which would obviously dramatically increase his value in terms of either an extension or in FA in a few years. Former Cy Young winner has a nice ring to it when he is announced at the initial FA signing presser. Just ask Jerry.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:48 am
ddraig wrote:
It pretty much eliminates Kirby's chances at a CY which would obviously dramatically increase his value in terms of either an extension or in FA in a few years. Former Cy Young winner has a nice ring to it when he is announced at the initial FA signing presser. Just ask Jerry.
In other news, Tristan McKenzie has been shit down for 2 weeks. So he won't be available to the Tribe in the Opening series.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/ ... train.html

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:32 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 am
D-train wrote:
ddraig wrote:
In other news, Tristan McKenzie has been shit down for 2 weeks. So he won't be available to the Tribe in the Opening series.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/ ... train.html
Yep massive break for us. I wonder if they start a left so JK gets a day off....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:16 pm

D-train wrote:
ddraig wrote:
One single pitcher in the entire league will win a Cy Young. I highly doubt that they were influenced in any way shape or form by whether he will or will not win a Cy Young. Kirby is basically the 4th Pitcher in the rotation. I wonder when the last time a #4 to start the season won a Cy Young?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:16 pm
D-train wrote:
ddraig wrote:
One single pitcher in the entire league will win a Cy Young. I highly doubt that they were influenced in any way shape or form by whether he will or will not win a Cy Young. Kirby is basically the 4th Pitcher in the rotation. I wonder when the last time a #4 to start the season won a Cy Young?
Not saying they did it for that reason, just saying given more starts to Marco than Kirby is crazy. The Cy Young wasn't a consideration but it might annoy Kirby to be sitting on his ass when he could be competing for it.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Not saying they did it for that reason, just saying given more starts to Marco than Kirby is crazy. The Cy Young wasn't a consideration but it might annoy Kirby to be sitting on his ass when he could be competing for it.
It would be interesting to know what a Pitcher not named Erin Bedard thinks about inning limits.

On another note, when I first heard we were playing the Guardians I got pretty annoyed. Assumed MLB in all it's infinite wisdom had decided to send us on the road to get snowed on again. Nice to know this series is at home. I am surprised we didn't start out with a road swing through Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit and Minnesota! Those teams should be required to have a retractable roof or play the first month of the season and all playoff games on the road!