Mariners Promote J.P. Crawford, Shed Long

rockycola

Mariners Promote J.P. Crawford, Shed Long

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 4:50 pm

As speculated, both are heading to Boston. With both Gordon and Moore nursing sore wrists the move is necessary. Might just be the shot in the arm the M's need to go on a Mariner "Boston Tee-off Party".
By Steve Adams | May 10, 2019 at 10:49am CDT

The Mariners are promoting young infielders J.P. Crawford and Shed Long in advance of this weekend’s series against the Red Sox, per Corey Brock of The Athletic (Twitter link). Both players are on their way to Boston to join the club. The pair of promotions comes after Dee Gordon exited Thursday’s game against the Yankees after taking a fastball to the wrist. Infielder Dylan Moore, too, is being hampered by a wrist injury and had been slated to undergo testing to determine the root of the issue.

More at:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/ ... -long.html
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

rockycola

Re: Mariners Promote J.P. Crawford, Shed Long

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 5:02 pm

From the comments below the article re: the link provided, one responder was insinuating that Crawford sucks.
The author from MLBTR, Steve Adams dressed him down and gave him his come-uppance :D :

bravesfan 48 mins ago
Well he sucks… I never fully understood the hype on this kid. He never performed in the minors, yet because a prospect list kept him highly ranked everyone was expecting him to perform at a level he never showed he could perform at. Literally, not once did he give real reason for excitement

Steve Adams 31 mins ago
Basically every prospect list (not just one) kept him highly ranked because the people who write those lists have experience evaluating players themselves and are also well-connected in the scouting community and constantly get input and feedback on their rankings from pro scouts.

There’s a lot more to a prospect than looking at his stats on B-Ref, and a large part of Crawford’s appeal has always been that he’s a shortstop with strong defensive tools, excellent plate discipline and low strikeout rates.

But, you did say “literally,” so I guess that settles things. (Shrug)

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 pm

I wonder if they're going to be available to play tonight. I'd assume so, but it's interesting to think of the logistics involved. First, they have to get in contact with the Traveling Secretary and get on an immediate flight from wherever they are (and hopefully that was last night and not this morning), and they have to have uniforms made for them with numbers that they choose. Can you imagine the rush job on that, somebody has to make the complete uniforms and get them to Fenway within a few hours? Of course, they could also have uniforms already made for potential call-ups.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 5:18 pm

From experience I know there are lots of red eyes available from Seattle to the east coast. I can assure you that a lack of a uniform with their name on it won't be preventing them from playing if they are needed. :lol:
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:18 pm
From experience I know there are lots of red eyes available from Seattle to the east coast. I can assure you that a lack of a uniform with their name on it won't be preventing them from playing if they are needed. :lol:
"Now batting, Shed Lang"

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 5:23 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:18 pm
"Now batting, Shed Lang"
Nice play at short by Patches! :)
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:40 pm

I read somewhere that when the Pilots loaded up the vans on 4/1/70 and headed to Milwaukee they took the "Pilots" stitching out of the uniforms and replace it with "Brewers" stitching. Considering that the opener was on 4/7/70 there was plenty of time to get new uniforms. Seriously, how cheap is that?

On top of it they had to get County Stadium ready for baseball and promote the team and do a whole lot of other logistical stuff. The new ownership no doubt had made preparations, but it's hard to wrap your head around the idea of moving a sports franchise and having them ready to play a full season schedule with six days' notice.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 pm
I wonder if they're going to be available to play tonight. I'd assume so, but it's interesting to think of the logistics involved. First, they have to get in contact with the Traveling Secretary and get on an immediate flight from wherever they are (and hopefully that was last night and not this morning), and they have to have uniforms made for them with numbers that they choose. Can you imagine the rush job on that, somebody has to make the complete uniforms and get them to Fenway within a few hours? Of course, they could also have uniforms already made for potential call-ups.
Rainiers played in Tacoma last night. Crawford was pulled from the lineup before the game. Maybe caught an earlier flight. Long played the whole game and it was a 3 hour, 9 inning contest.
I'd suspect they didn't fly together and Shed was the redeye but seeing how this will be his first MLB experience, if he Shed any tears they'd be tears of joy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm

There is a midnight non stop Jet Blue every night from SEATAC to Logan Shed could have caught that fairly easily.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Shed would still be able to make it to Fenway well before game time. From Lauren:
Have heard Shed Long was on the early flight out of SeaTac to Boston this morning.

Nothing official, but if true, would make sense. Dee Gordon injured last night, Dylan Moore also dealing with soreness. Edwin Encarnacion potentially hurt as well.
dt