Breaking: Ohtani with a torn UCL, won't pitch, might not DH

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Breaking: Ohtani with a torn UCL, won't pitch, might not DH

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:56 am

That's why it could be disastrous for a team like the Mariners to sign him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:03 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:56 am
His price tag just went down by at least 50%. If he can't pitch he is just a DH. A damn good DH but the value of him filling two roster spots in elite historic fashion and the allure and mystique that it brings is up in smoke...
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:26 pm

Can’t wait for the Stanton interview “ we were the front runners to get him” bullshit. It’s sad he got hurt. He had one hell of a year going

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:01 pm

Sign him. DH next season, then he can pitch in 2025. Mariners can handle signing him and not have him pitch next year. Still worth signing for 400 million over 10 years
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:10 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:01 pm
Sign him. DH next season, then he can pitch in 2025. Mariners can handle signing him and not have him pitch next year. Still worth signing for 400 million over 10 years
Totally agree. It's like a scratch and dent sale. If we can sign him, we just saved several hundred million. So what if he can't pitch - we have one of the best starting rotations in baseball for the next several years. By the time our young arms are ready for free agency, Ohtani's value as a pitcher would have plummeted anyway, and he'd be pretty much a full time DH by then.

So yeah, Juliooooo - if he can get back to pitching in a year or two, great. If not, we'd have one of the best lefty bats in the game at DH, and he can still play COF. It would basically be like signing Aaron Judge but with the possibility that he may return to pitching.

Post Script: I just read that this is his second UCL tear. How many times can you surgically repair the same ligament? Sounds like he may have just pitched his last game. Makes me a little sad. OK - a lot sad.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:10 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Totally agree. It's like a scratch and dent sale. If we can sign him, we just saved several hundred million. So what if he can't pitch - we have one of the best starting rotations in baseball for the next several years. By the time our young arms are ready for free agency, Ohtani's value as a pitcher would have plummeted anyway, and he'd be pretty much a full time DH by then.

So yeah, Juliooooo - if he can get back to pitching in a year or two, great. If not, we'd have one of the best lefty bats in the game at DH, and he can still play COF. It would basically be like signing Aaron Judge but with the possibility that he may return to pitching.

Post Script: I just read that this is his second UCL tear. How many times can you surgically repair the same ligament? Sounds like he may have just pitched his last game. Makes me a little sad. OK - a lot sad.
Mariners just drafted a guy in the 4th that had good second UCL surgery, McGraw.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:21 pm

I don't believe he had surgery the first time. He opted for rehab instead.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:45 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:21 pm
I don't believe he had surgery the first time. He opted for rehab instead.
According to the article he did...
Ohtani previously tore the UCL in his right arm in 2018 and recovered from Tommy John surgery to become one of the best players in baseball, and its most successful two-way star ever.
Not sure if you were referring to Ohtani or McGraw.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:03 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:56 am
His price tag just went down by at least 50%. If he can't pitch he is just a DH. A damn good DH but the value of him filling two roster spots in elite historic fashion and the allure and mystic that it brings is up in smoke...
I'm talking about before this latest injury happened. A team like the Mariners can't put that many eggs in one basket.
Juliooooo wrote:
You're insane.