2024 Prospects thread

Donn Beach

Re: 2024 Prospects thread

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:48 pm

I think his bat skills are a pretty big factor. He's not the first athletic baseball player to come along.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:55 pm

Here is my other guy. Clase. .292/.851 in AAA where his is 4.7 years younger than the average player. 18% rate after struggling with that last season.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:03 pm

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Montes is a monster. That dude is going to be Yordan Alvarez and then some.
Is he only a DH?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:35 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:29 pm
Montes is a monster. That dude is going to be Yordan Alvarez and then some.
Is he only a DH?
No he has not. He lost a lot of weight and seems fast to me. If Julio can play CF then he can stick in RF.

See for yourself how fast he is. EASY stand up double on a ball that didn't even get to the warning track.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:41 pm

He's probably more Kyle Schwarber. If he'd gotten faster that be good, his running is rated 30

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:03 pm
Interesting article

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2024/3/2 ... ll-journey
I'm a big Clase guy, too. Made the claim on X this offseason that when Clase comes up, he's moving J-Rod to LF and some guy said you're crazy, he's never going to be a big-leaguer, was only hitting .220 and had a high k-rate. I said, "Pal, he's 20 yo at AA. He's a hard worker. He's gotten better every year. You need to put your faith in a player like that."

For me, that's the biggest issue with prospect rankings. They don't seem to factor in the player's work ethic, they just look at the present tool grade. Well, these kids obviously can get better just as much as they can get worse. Work ethic! that's the missing factor that some scouts don't see when they just watch a dude play for 9 innings and then skedaddle to the next town and the next game. You need to be around a player day after day for a week to really appreciate who they are and the work ethic they have, the fire they carry to be great.

Loved that story to understand more about Clase. I didn't realize quite how small he was at signing and how big he's gotten. Nor was I aware of how the org felt about him. Cool to read. I wonder where he fits. I suppose he'll be in AAA all season polishing his game. Depending on how it goes, he could get another few months down there until the M's make a move with Hanny (most likely)

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:41 pm
He's probably more Kyle Schwarber. If he'd gotten faster that be good, his running is rated 30
yeah, I don't see a 30 grade runner. I mean maybe it takes a couple seconds for that big man to get going but, I think he's more than capable of legging out doubles.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:50 pm

So much young talent in the system. I wonder where the rest of my prospect hounds are at with the top of the M's system?

If we take Felnin out of the equation right now (I realize the glut of SSs, but man why is he being held back so hard? He's lost so much time because of that hamstring injury). Hopefully his talent just pushes him up quickly, but I wonder if he's always going to be trailing Emerson and Peete because they're also SSs? Arroyo too?

Anyways...

My thought is this right now: (Again leaving Felnin out)

1. Montes
2. Young
3. Emerson
4. Locklear
5. Clase

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:51 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:43 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:03 pm
Interesting article

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2024/3/2 ... ll-journey
I'm a big Clase guy, too. Made the claim on X this offseason that when Clase comes up, he's moving J-Rod to LF and some guy said you're crazy, he's never going to be a big-leaguer, was only hitting .220 and had a high k-rate. I said, "Pal, he's 20 yo at AA. He's a hard worker. He's gotten better every year. You need to put your faith in a player like that."

For me, that's the biggest issue with prospect rankings. They don't seem to factor in the player's work ethic, they just look at the present tool grade. Well, these kids obviously can get better just as much as they can get worse. Work ethic! that's the missing factor that some scouts don't see when they just watch a dude play for 9 innings and then skedaddle to the next town and the next game. You need to be around a player day after day for a week to really appreciate who they are and the work ethic they have, the fire they carry to be great.

Loved that story to understand more about Clase. I didn't realize quite how small he was at signing and how big he's gotten. Nor was I aware of how the org felt about him. Cool to read. I wonder where he fits. I suppose he'll be in AAA all season polishing his game. Depending on how it goes, he could get another few months down there until the M's make a move with Hanny (most likely)
Seems odd really, AA is the development league, AAA is a holding pen for prospects. I'm no expert at all but how many actual prospects spend an entire season at AAA?