Are the M's really broke?

Bil522

Re: Are the M's really broke?

Post by Bil522 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:51 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:44 pm
I’d like a definition of broke…….Your dealing with a loaded billionaire not a broke owner. To spend a billion dollars in the few years he has left on this planet would require a unimaginable flushing of 100’s of millions of dollars. These guys ain’t broke.
An idea of how much a Billion dollars is. If you put $1B in a fixed investment locked at a modest 3.6% interest rate you would make $36M a year in interest. You could completely flush $3M a month and NEVER touch the principal.
But how do you get by with only $3mill/ month? Do you actually expect me to stay in the same house every night???

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 am

Major League Baseball reportedly is bailing out other teams and their regional sports networks but not the Mariners and Root Sports:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/A ... view-media

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 am

harmony wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 am
Major League Baseball reportedly is bailing out other teams and their regional sports networks but not the Mariners and Root Sports:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/A ... view-media
I don't see how this is a bailout. Also, if this is news to you then you just haven't been paying attention. There have been multiple stories about the league taking over local broadcasts. They've been preparing for it for years. As for the Mariners not getting "bailed out", the league has said they can take the local broadcasts for as many as 16 teams in 2024, so if the Mariners aren't entering that system, it's because they think they can make more money on their own, which is still probably true.