All these pitchers are dropping like flies, guys!

D-train

Re: All these pitchers are dropping like flies, guys!

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:56 pm
The big difference between being a fan back then and being one now, is short attention span, fostered by high-speed Internet.

Another difference is that before the advent of free agency, we knew that our players were committed to our city, so there was this mutual kinship, regardless of whether or not they won or lost.

They were Our Guys, truly.

So the time we spent at the ballpark was all just pure fun.

Unlike today, we were never in a hurry to go home, after nine innings, in a tie game, we were excited for it to go on as long as it had to.
Marty don't tell me you haven't been highly entertained by the flaming trident juggler or the Salmon run! :lol:
dt

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:17 pm

Haha, DT, they need all that crap to keep the fans Awake!

Through the droning predictability of five inning starters, no bunting, “critical” stats like launch angle, and Blowers’ constant bloviating over pitch counts/speed.

Btw, how did Aaron, Musial, Clemente, Mantle, and Mays fare so well Without the benefit of sabermetrics!

Bottom line, those of us coming up before the arrival of free agency, saw a fundamentally different game.

In so many different ways.

In a different world.

Sports Hernia

Post by Sports Hernia » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:46 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:53 pm
Sports Hernia wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:54 am
One can argue that it’s very rightest and fascist to take “the pitchers right” to lollygag through a 45 second routine before every pitch. Example the guy in Cleveland that had to touch his hair then juggle the rosin bag for 10 more seconds, then kick at the rubber for another 10 seconds.

I like the pitch clock even though I think it’s a bit extreme. I not a fan of Manfred but it was needed because these idiot pitchers and their useless routines were making it unbearable to watch.

Ok ok, somehow all of us 1950s geezers actually endured sitting through 9 innings of old fashioned baseball, sometimes even doubleheaders, on a clear sunny 4th of July?

And how bout those 15 inning games?

With no micromanaging.

Awful.
Games were shorter back then. Now (before the pitch clock) you have pitchers going thru their 45 second routine of playing with the rosin bag, juggle the baseball, touch their hair 3 times, and kick at the rubber 4 times, before he gets set to pinch.

We shouldn’t need a pitch clock but because assclowns have to have a routine it slowed the game down.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:28 pm

Glasgow has an interesting perspective on this

https://www.tiktok.com/@chrisrosesports ... 8467292459
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez