The Decline of Felix~placed on the I.L.~is this the End?

rockycola

The Decline of Felix~placed on the I.L.~is this the End?

Post by rockycola » Sun May 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Mariners placed Hernandez on the I.L. this morning. Parker Markel called up (yay!)
Also, Dan Altavilla has been recalled while Braden Bishop has been optioned down.
By Connor Byrne | May 12, 2019 at 9:04am CDT

As part of a series of roster moves, the Mariners announced that they’ve placed right-hander Felix Hernandez on the 10-day injured list with a strained pitching shoulder and selected the contract of righty Parker Markel from Triple-A Tacoma. The team has also recalled righty Dan Altavilla from Tacoma and optioned outfielder Braden Bishop.

Hernandez’s injury created an opening for Markel, a 28-year-old who’s finally in position to make his major league debut eight years after the Rays selected him in the 39th round of the 2010 draft. Markel stuck with the Tampa Bay organization through 2016 and then signed with the Lotte Giants of the Korea Baseball Organization entering the 2017 campaign, though he asked the club to terminate his contract before he ever pitched for them.

Markel returned to action stateside last year at the Double-A level, where he pitched for independent Sioux City, before signing with the Mariners in the fall. He got off to a dominant start this season across the minors’ top two levels, combining for 35 strikeouts against seven walks and giving up just one earned run in 17 1/3 innings, to earn a big league promotion.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/ ... arkel.html
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

bpj

Re: The Decline of Felix~placed on the I.L.~is this the End?

Post by bpj » Sun May 12, 2019 4:46 pm

So Dee Gordon is our new backup OF/UTIL? Ok then. It's about time.

Ziskmagic

Post by Ziskmagic » Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Its hard not to root for Markel - truly the opposite path to the majors as King Felix...8 years in the minors, almost quit the game...and did I hear he can throw 100mph? I can't wait to see him.

But it does feel and look like the end for Felix. I think even he'd have to agree.
As a body we are alone, as a soul never.

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Is the IL the right place to heal a head case?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Ziskmagic wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 pm
Its hard not to root for Markel - truly the opposite path to the majors as King Felix...8 years in the minors, almost quit the game...and did I hear he can throw 100mph? I can't wait to see him.

But it does feel and look like the end for Felix. I think even he'd have to agree.
35Ks in 17 innings for Markel. I have be asking for this for a couple weeks. Enjoy your retirement King Felix.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Happy as hell wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Where else would you cure a head case other than the Insanity List?
dt

:::

Post by ::: » Sun May 12, 2019 5:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Ziskmagic wrote:

35Ks in 17 innings for Markel. I have be asking for this for a couple weeks. Enjoy your retirement King Felix.
I dunno... You don't want to rush Markel to the show. I hope the M's aren't once again ruining a player's development. This guy's got special skills and should be handled with kid gloves.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun May 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Ziskmagic wrote:

I dunno... You don't want to rush Markel to the show. I hope the M's aren't once again ruining a player's development. This guy's got special skills and should be handled with kid gloves.
Hate to rush a 28 year old to the show. He's barely older than Machado, Harper, Trout, etc...
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Ziskmagic wrote:

The King’s Court Section’s gonna go from “K, K, K” to “T, K, O!”

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sun May 12, 2019 7:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:56 pm
Happy as hell wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Where else would you cure a head case other than the Insanity List?
Hey, this “insane” guy’s gettin $27 mil for nothing!