Honest question about the state of the Mariners

acctingman

Honest question about the state of the Mariners

Post by acctingman » Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:01 pm

In your heart of hearts, does anyone think this will change? Do you think, even in the slightest, that this front office will/wants/cares too put a winning product on the field?

No joke, no trolling. Legitimate question.

I used to watch this team pretty regularly, A LONG time ago. I box score watch now, giggle, then move on.

Nothing will change until this team is sold. Fans (I want to call them fuckless twats, but I can't, it's their money) continue to buy tickets and merch, so there is really no financial pressure on ownership to open the pocketbooks.

But, I feel it goes beyond that. Good players (imo) don't want to come here. Why would they? This is were your career dies & numbers drop. Also, the culture. Is there one? I sure the hell don't see one, unless you call rolling over and taking it in the butt? I don't know who to blame. These players get paid a crap ton of money so it's partially on them, but Jerry is a cancer (again, my opinion). He/him/they/she/it :D only want to hire "yes men". A coach like Lou would have been fired a long time ago for speaking his mind.

/rant off

Sell the fucking team, please!!!

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Honest question about the state of the Mariners

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:31 pm

Honestly? I'm beginning not to care more and more after every year. Especially after a free agent class like this one just passed us by. Fuck payroll!!

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:00 am

I'm tired of the half-assed attempts to improve the team and the resulting "we were that close" excuses. Even more, I'm tired of the Sham Wow guy acting like everything is good. Screw 54% and sustainability, I want to see the M's in a World Series before I die.

OLdvanDawg

Post by OLdvanDawg » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:21 am

It’s almost like Dipoto does stuff to make it look like he is doing something, for example, failing miserably when he started and then telling the M’s fans they need to “take a step back” and rebuild, and then, when this season is essentially over, firing SS. Then he can tell management, “see I’m doing something” when in fact he’s not. This team will continue to be middle of the pack until ownership really wants to win a WS.

OLdvanDawg

Post by OLdvanDawg » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:25 am

I want to see the fans stop showing up to tell the owners they want to see a team that has a chance to win.

OLdvanDawg

Post by OLdvanDawg » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:37 am

At least we won’t miss the playoffs this year by one game. We’ll be lucky to be in second place in the west when it’s all over.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:18 am

acctingman wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:01 pm
In your heart of hearts, does anyone think this will change? Do you think, even in the slightest, that this front office will/wants/cares too put a winning product on the field?

No joke, no trolling. Legitimate question.

I used to watch this team pretty regularly, A LONG time ago. I box score watch now, giggle, then move on.

Nothing will change until this team is sold. Fans (I want to call them fuckless twats, but I can't, it's their money) continue to buy tickets and merch, so there is really no financial pressure on ownership to open the pocketbooks.

But, I feel it goes beyond that. Good players (imo) don't want to come here. Why would they? This is were your career dies & numbers drop. Also, the culture. Is there one? I sure the hell don't see one, unless you call rolling over and taking it in the butt? I don't know who to blame. These players get paid a crap ton of money so it's partially on them, but Jerry is a cancer (again, my opinion). He/him/they/she/it :D only want to hire "yes men". A coach like Lou would have been fired a long time ago for speaking his mind.

/rant off

Sell the fucking team, please!!!
I'm sure the front office would love nothing more than to put a winning product on the field. It would mean more butts in the seats, and more money in their pockets. And that's a concept they just don't seem to grasp. But make no mistake, winning is secondary to profits and always will be with this ownership group. That's just reality.

It's extremely difficult to get a position player in his prime to come here. It's where hitters go to die. If I was lucky enough to be a MLB player, Seattle is the last place I would go. And it has nothing to do with the city or the ballpark. It's just that no matter what I did, I know my numbers are going to take a serious hit, which means less demand and less money when it came time to negotiate my next contract.

As for culture, this organization has a bad reputation throughout the league. Everyone in the league knows Seattle is not about winning a championship. They know we have bad owners and bad upper management. There's no reason anyone of value or in high demand would want to come here unless they're being grossly overpaid. That obviously speaks to the culture that has been cultivated in Seattle. It's just a crap organization, and it starts at the top. The only way that changes is if Stanton decides to sell. But what motivation would he have for doing that? He's printing money and laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:15 am

On to better things lately. Hardly give them a watch. Darren was at the game today and said Julio was all smiles……What a piece of shit Julio has turned into

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:19 am

I think the front office cares, but I don't have much confidence in their ability to build a roster. There's a more overarching problem with limitations set by ownership, which is where I tend to put most of the blame. But there's an aspect here that falls on the front office as well, which has something to do with inflexibility of process.

There's also the issue with the ballpark, which I think is probably a combination of factors, i.e. the marine layer in the spring, the reflectivity of the batters eye, the dimensions, and possibly other variables that no one has identified. But whatever is going on with the ballpark seems to be amplifying the impact of modern pitching and the level of run suppression in today's game, and I think it's basically game breaking, which makes the game less interesting to watch.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:28 pm

The ballpark definitely makes it less interesting to watch but they're winning percentage at home is good. The ballpark isn't hurting them in that regard. Where they suck is on the road because the pitching isn't good enough away from T mobile to support the horrible offense.

Somebody made a great point about our owners. They all have separate businesses and investment opportunities and while they may think that increasing payroll will increase revenues it might not be the most attractive in terms of ROI.

You would think they would care about the fans their customers and their obligation to the city and county and state but they don't.
dt