Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

MD7

Re: Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

Post by MD7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 am

Sorry I do not know all of the rules regarding compensatory picks, but I have read that the Texans would get a 3rd round comp pick at the end of the season for Clowney, and also talk about the Hawks giving up a 2nd to get Clowney. So if the Hawks gave up a 2nd and then Clowney signed somewhere else would the Hawks get a compensatory 3rd round pick or does a player need to be on a team for a specified length of time to get a compensatory pick?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 am

MD7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 am
Sorry I do not know all of the rules regarding compensatory picks, but I have read that the Texans would get a 3rd round comp pick at the end of the season for Clowney, and also talk about the Hawks giving up a 2nd to get Clowney. So if the Hawks gave up a 2nd and then Clowney signed somewhere else would the Hawks get a compensatory 3rd round pick or does a player need to be on a team for a specified length of time to get a compensatory pick?
Clowney is refusing to sign his tender so Texans aren't going to get anything unless they trade him. But if the Hawks do trade for Clowney and he signs with another team the Hawks could receive a comp pick depending on how much they spend on FA themselves.
Last edited by ThePro on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:45 am

MD7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 am
Welcome to the forum MD7. :) How did you find us?
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Clayton talking on Brock and Salk this morning about the possibility of trading for the Vikings Everson Griffen.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Clayton talking on Brock and Salk this morning about the possibility of trading for the Vikings Everson Griffen.
Did Clayton suggest what they might give up for him? He's getting old and had injury issues last season. Besides, i thought we needed an interior lineman. Does this mean they aren't confident in what Ziggy can offer early this season?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Did Clayton suggest what they might give up for him? He's getting old and had injury issues last season. Besides, i thought we needed an interior lineman. Does this mean they aren't confident in what Ziggy can offer early this season?
They weren't confident what Ziggy could give them when they acquired him. I wonder what the cap hit would be if they released him. Griffin had mental health issues last season and currently he is not available. Clowney is and he's 26 yo.

Clayton also said Schneider and Bill Obrien have had discussions about compensation for Clowney.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Griffin played 11 games and had 5.5 sacks and 5 tackles for a loss. Not terrible, and the mental health issues were the first 5 games, right?

No doubt Clowney would be the better player, but would also come at a higher price. There was some speculation on the cost to us, Brock even threw out there Justin Britt as a trade piece. It was all just speculation.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Yes, i also heard speculation that Houston might be looking for a vet in addition to the draft pick - needing OL and WR, neither of which really aligns very well with our depth at them moment given all the injuries. trading Britt at this point would be a backward step creating a new hole in exchange for the hope of plugging the pr hole - have simply not seen enough from Pocic to be confident in him there yet, though i have been encouraged to see him playing there this preseason (more than at G, where we already know he is subpar).
As for Griffen, i think Clayton opined that he could be had for middle-round pick, and of course for less money, so an intriguing alternative if the Texans drive too hard a bargain. but far less upside of course.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm
Griffin played 11 games and had 5.5 sacks and 5 tackles for a loss. Not terrible, and the mental health issues were the first 5 games, right?

No doubt Clowney would be the better player, but would also come at a higher price. There was some speculation on the cost to us, Brock even threw out there Justin Britt as a trade piece. It was all just speculation.
Like he's over the mental health issues... No thanks

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:32 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Like he's over the mental health issues... No thanks
Seems like it was a strange deal. "Mental Health issues" could be nothing more than depression that was remedied with medication.

If they give up a mid round pick for a guy that plays like Griffin didn't in 2017 it would be an absolute steal.