Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:12 am

ThePro wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:54 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 am
Interesting, the Dolphins don't think he's worth a 1st round pick either.
How did you come to this conclusion?
The Condotta article.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:17 am

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:12 am

How did you come to this conclusion?
The Condotta article.
[/quote]

So the Condotta article that is quoting the Miami Herald? The same publication that thinks they are the front runner when we it is reported that Clowney wants to play for the Eagles or Seahawks. A 1st from the Hawks is different than a 1st from the Dolphins...unless you think the Dolphins are going to win more games..I'll take that bet.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Greg Bell, among others, believe that Miami is the front-runner.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:44 pm
Greg Bell, among others, believe that Miami is the front-runner.
I think they are offering the most in trade but he doesn't want to go there. That's what is causing the holdup. He can't be traded until he signs the tender. Clowney has leverage.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2019/ ... tinations/

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:21 pm

Listened to Bell on the radio as usual this morning. He thinks the Hawks are desperate for a pass rusher (contrary to what the expert here thinks) but doesn't think they will do it because they aren't one player from SB contention AND because giving up what it will take to have him for just one year doesn't make sense and signing him to a multi year deal like they did with Brown after the trade doesn't make sense either because they would be paying a lesser player what they could have resigned Clark for.

He said it in a far more coherent fashion but hopefully you get the gist.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
·
47m
Want #Seahawks to trade for Jadeveon Clowney? It's problematic. And it comes down to this: Do Pete Carroll and John Schneider truly believe this post-Legion of Boom, post-Avril-Bennett defense and team is one piece, Clowney, away from a Super Bowl?
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm
Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
·
47m
Want #Seahawks to trade for Jadeveon Clowney? It's problematic. And it comes down to this: Do Pete Carroll and John Schneider truly believe this post-Legion of Boom, post-Avril-Bennett defense and team is one piece, Clowney, away from a Super Bowl?
I read his article and I'm just not seeing the downside. Sone like to bring up Richardson. Is there anyone who doesn't believe Clowney is a far better player than Richardson?

Two they wouldn't sign Clark. The Hawks are in a completely different situation when they traded Clark. Wagner was unsigned and at that time did you think he was willing to sign a deal for 3 years 54 million? And they had 4 draft picks. They had to trade Clark. Look at the draft haul they got back.

Three Clowney is a rent a player. Let's say Hawks trade a 2nd and a player. Probably not Penny because that makes no sense. Clowney leaves after the season Hawks will receive a 3rd round comp for him. So basically they are dropping down from a 2nd to a 3rd for o e year of a talent with huge upside. I would be dead set against it if we were talking about an older player. Clowney is 26 yo.

If all reports are correct he wants to come here. After playing here a year he might welcome a contract extension. He and Duane Brown are friends.

I'm just not seeing the dilemma some are making it out to be.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:00 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm
Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
·
47m
I read his article and I'm just not seeing the downside. Sone like to bring up Richardson. Is there anyone who doesn't believe Clowney is a far better player than Richardson?

Two they wouldn't sign Clark. The Hawks are in a completely different situation when they traded Clark. Wagner was unsigned and at that time did you think he was willing to sign a deal for 3 years 54 million? And they had 4 draft picks. They had to trade Clark. Look at the draft haul they got back.

Three Clowney is a rent a player. Let's say Hawks trade a 2nd and a player. Probably not Penny because that makes no sense. Clowney leaves after the season Hawks will receive a 3rd round comp for him. So basically they are dropping down from a 2nd to a 3rd for o e year of a talent with huge upside. I would be dead set against it if we were talking about an older player. Clowney is 26 yo.

If all reports are correct he wants to come here. After playing here a year he might welcome a contract extension. He and Duane Brown are friends.

I'm just not seeing the dilemma some are making it out to be.
Good points. Only three more days to wait.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Why only 3 more days to wait?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm
Why only 3 more days to wait?
They need to set the roster this weekend right? I think if it happens it will go down by then.
In 2019, the deadline for NFL teams to cut their rosters down to 53 players is Saturday, Aug. 31 at 4 p.m. ET. That gives them just under two days on the heels of their final preseason games to make their decisions. Of course, in reality, most teams will have only a couple decisions to make; the majority of NFL rosters are already set.
dt