Total votes: 16

Seattle or Bust

Re: QB poll

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:44 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:23 am

I'd rather see the Hawks offense at least be OK next year. Wouldn't be much fun seeing DK not catch anything.

You mean like last year?
If you want to say 75 catches for 967 yards and 12 TD's is "not catching anything," then I'm not sure what to tell you.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:07 pm

I decided to look at DK with Geno and with RW

With RW 13.5 games : 58 catcher on 108 targets 58% catch rate. 4.3 catches per game

With Geno 3.5 games: 17 catcher on 21 targets 81% catch rate. 4.9 catches per game
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:23 am

I'd rather see the Hawks offense at least be OK next year. Wouldn't be much fun seeing DK not catch anything.

You mean like last year?
If you want to say 75 catches for 967 yards and 12 TD's is "not catching anything," then I'm not sure what to tell you.
Dude!? For a guy that was All Pro in his second season? Yes, I would say that is nothing. About fifteen times last season I left the game shaking my head wondering how in the Fuck we can practice and game plan and not come up with anything to get him involved.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:07 pm

With RW 13.5 games : 58 catcher on 108 targets 58% catch rate. 4.3 catches per game

With Geno 3.5 games: 17 catcher on 21 targets 81% catch rate. 4.9 catches per game
Yep, but what will DK ever do without Russ!?

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:50 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm
Michael K. wrote:

You mean like last year?
Dude!? For a guy that was All Pro in his second season? Yes, I would say that is nothing. About fifteen times last season I left the game shaking my head wondering how in the Fuck we can practice and game plan and not come up with anything to get him involved.
He splits targets with Lockett in and offense that prefers to try to run the ball.

I'm not saying that Russ couldn't have thrown him the ball more. That was a gripe all last season. But pretending that he's going to put the same numbers with Lock as he did with Russ seems like a pipe dream. Especially when you consider that they're not going to give the free reign for Lock to throw the football nearly as much as they did Russ. Or that Russ is one of the better deep ball throwers in the game and that's how the Hawks prefer to operate.

It's not going to be anywhere near as pretty on offense.

I bet you DK is at like 400 yards and 4 TD's through the first 8 games or so of the season and demands a trade.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:07 pm

Yep, but what will DK ever do without Russ!?
Pretty small sample size for Geno but will be interesting to see how DK does playing with a QB his own size for a whole season.

Lock 6'-4"
DK 6'-4"
Geno 6'-3"
RW 5'-10"
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:49 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:17 am

Foles is 3-9 in his last 12 starts and lost his job to Justin Fields.

He's about as dead as they come at QB.
He was 1-0 last year (against the Seahawks), 4-5 the year before that on crappy Chicago teams, and was 0-4 on a Jacksonville team that couldn't beat a mid-major college squad.

Before that, he was 13-2. He's not a HOF type guy, more of a veteran game manager that knows how to win.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:57 pm

Sorry SA, its going to be Lock over center Game 1. Book it.
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
As quarterback dominoes continued to fall Monday throughout the NFL — Matt Ryan from Atlanta to Indianapolis, free agent Marcus Mariota to Atlanta to take Ryan’s place, Jameis Winston to New Orleans — the Seahawks introduced Drew Lock to the media.

And in what might have been a coincidence, there were signs that the Seahawks think Lock, acquired 13 days ago in the Russell Wilson trade, might do more than say hello in Seattle and instead could create a lasting impression.

The Seahawks don’t appear to be seriously pursuing Baker Mayfield and could be content to go with Lock, Geno Smith (expected likely to re-sign), Jacob Eason and maybe another quarterback either via the draft or trade/free agency, but not the kind of investment a Mayfield would be. An NFL Network report Monday stated the Seahawks “would potentially have some interest in Mayfield” but don’t look too interested now, with his almost $19 million salary for 2022 a hinderance.

And if Lock truly becomes the guy for 2022, he promised Monday that everybody can be sure of one thing — he won’t be outworked.

“I’m just gonna have the mindset of competing the whole time I’m here,” Lock said. “I’m gonna come in, I’m gonna work hard. Work harder than anybody else in this building. I’m gonna show it to these guys to try to gain their trust. Show them that I’m here to work; and if you put a little faith in me, I have a very talented skill set that will help us win football games.”

What he won’t try to do, he said, is replicate Wilson.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Lock has worn jersey No. 3 throughout his career, including as a four-year starter at Missouri and Denver. But even it if were available for him in Seattle, Lock said he didn’t want to wear it, instead deciding to wear No. 2.

“As long as football goes on, Russel Wilson will be very special to this place, very special to Seattle,” Lock said. “And I know what it takes to kind of build a legacy. You know, you wouldn’t go wear 18 in Indianapolis (Peyton Manning). You wouldn’t go wear 12 in Green Bay (Aaron Rodgers). It’s a sign of respect for him from me. But also at the same time I want to write my own story here. I want to make that me. I don’t want to fight against Russell. He’s done so many great things to this place and so many great things for the city of Seattle (and) the state of Washington. I want 2 to be remembered as Drew Lock.”

And what has Seattle gotten in Lock?

A quarterback who Monday, at least, seemed to speak the language of head coach Pete Carroll maybe more than Wilson ever did.

Asked what he’s learned in his first three years in the NFL, Lock said, “Being patient.”

He elaborated: “The other side of the ball gets paid a lot of money to stop you as well. So let’s not make their job easier by putting the ball into not advantageous situations. Let’s be smart with the football. Let’s take the shots when they’re there. And let’s just continuously move the ball — positive chunks, positive yardage every single play.”

Lock said he learned a lot backing up Teddy Bridgewater in Denver last year, and specifically about how to manage a game. Asked to describe what that means, he gave another answer that seemed scripted out of Carroll’s “It’s All About The Ball” philosophy.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

“(It’s) just calculated risks,” Lock said. “We know that we’ve got plays that are designed to take a shot, but if they’re not there, check it down. Don’t be afraid to just move the chains. If you gain a yard on this play, it’s a positive play for us. And I think that was a big mentality Teddy took in being safe with the ball at the same time.”

The Seahawks said one thing that drew them to Lock was how he played in the final five games of his rookie season in 2019 when he led Denver to a 4-1 record with a 7-3 TD-to-interception ratio.

The Broncos then fired offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello following what was a 7-9 season and ranking just 28th in points scored in the NFL. Lock didn’t seem to find the same comfort with the offense of new coordinator Pat Shurmur in 2020 with Denver going 4-9 in his starts that year. That he had to try to learn the new offense in the year COVID-19 made offseason work until training camp all virtual surely didn’t help. He started just three games last year, all losses, after Denver signed Bridgewater.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

The good news for Seattle is Lock said the system he ran with some success in 2019 in Denver is “similar” to what the Seahawks are doing with offensive coordinator Shane Waldron.

“It’s just the family it comes from,” Lock said. “If you go watch those years when coach Waldron was in L.A. (with the Rams from 2017-20). Go watch some of the San Francisco stuff, some of the stuff that we ran in Denver. The West Coast (offense) so to say, you can find a lot of similarities whether it’s footwork, whether that’s route concepts, the path from under center. There’s a lot that goes into that but it was a lot of the similar stuff that I ran my first year, even some of the verbiage that you hear, which is exciting because that system holds a dear place in my heart because I was playing really good football at that time and it’s exciting to be able to get back to a system that’s like that.”

The 6-4, 228-pounder didn’t say he’d heard any rumors specifically connecting him to being traded for Wilson. But he said the move did not catch him by surprise because “something’s happened in the quarterback room in almost every team in this league after every offseason. I was ready for something to happen and then when I found out that this is what happened, I was really excited. Excited for a fresh start.”

He also said he comes to Seattle having been told that “nothing has been promised. It’s just my job to come in and work extremely hard and compete for that starting job.”

But with each day that passes and each quarterback move made elsewhere, Lock really being the successor to Wilson in 2022 becomes a bit closer to reality.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:01 pm

Sweet mother.
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:41 am

DT, if they sign Geno, I think he'll be the starter day 1. I like Lock's personality, but not his resume. Geno at least gets us close to a .500 team. I think Lock loses us more games than he wins, and we probably lose all the ones in between.

I hope I'm wrong about this.