Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

D-train

Re: Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:02 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm
Why, what does Baker have against the Broncos?
Maybe he dated Ciara in between Future and RW????
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:43 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 pm
I think Mayfield is the best option of the three, and the best short term option to make Seattle more competitive, but I just don't see the long term projection there. He could very likely duplicate Wilson's numbers, but I still struggle with his long term viability. Having no idea what Lock can do makes it harder to analyze with any accuracy. A lot of Brown's fans think Mayfield was shafted by Cleveland - apparently he played injured all last season, greatly affecting his play - so the Watson trade looks even worse to the fans. Who knows where the truth lies - but he certainly is more interesting than Smith.

One thing is for sure - a CringeRuss vs Mayfield week one matchup would be the ultimate grudge match - and the NFL's Marketing Dept's wet dream.
Yeah, sort of a lowest common denominator for causal fans who look for big names and guys who appear in TV ads. As a fan, I'd rather see Lock versus Wilson or Geno versus Wilson.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:25 pm
That actually means nothing to me for two reasons:

1. The offensive "geniuses" who made that decision
This one I'll give you.
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:25 pm
2. Lock admitted he went about that competition in the worst way possible focusing on how he compared with Teddy every day instead of just being the best version of himself.
how do you see that as a positive? Recognizing and admitting it is great, but it's a red flag to me. A sign he doesn't really believe in himself - remember how RW just walked in as a rookie and expected to be the starter? Mahomes and Brady didn't sit there comparing themselves to Smith and Bledsoe, they waited for their shot and new once they got it they wouldn't give it back. That was actually the knock against Lock as to why he flopped the past two seasons - he started second guessing himself and stopped taking shots.

Now you actually convinced me that there is no hope for him.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:17 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 pm

2. Lock admitted he went about that competition in the worst way possible focusing on how he compared with Teddy every day instead of just being the best version of himself.
how do you see that as a positive? Recognizing and admitting it is great, but it's a red flag to me. A sign he doesn't really believe in himself - remember how RW just walked in as a rookie and expected to be the starter? Mahomes and Brady didn't sit there comparing themselves to Smith and Bledsoe, they waited for their shot and new once they got it they wouldn't give it back. That was actually the knock against Lock as to why he flopped the past two seasons - he started second guessing himself and stopped taking shots.

Now you actually convinced me that there is no hope for him.
[/quote]

He played, what four seasons for five different OCs? Did I read that? At best, I think he had a new OC each year. Pretty tough for a first year guy trying to learn the pro game. I am not ready to give up on him. If we were one piece from the Super Bowl? Maybe, but this team had damn near the same winning percentage in games Geno started as it did in games that Russ started. Russ wouldn't take this team to the Super Bowl either, and neither would just about any QB out there, certainly not one that is available.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 am

K.J. Wright supporting Geno, what I thought interesting was the part about not being able to keep both of them on the roster. I think you have to, but he makes a point. Pretty much a given it's going to turn into a QB controversy mess
"Geno was good," Wright said. "He was scout team quarterback. The dude has a cannon for an arm. He's intellectual, you know, having those two-minute drills during practice throughout the week, the man can play. Just trust him, just trust Geno. And what I said was whoever you decide to be your starting quarterback, the other guy has got to leave. You cannot have both those guys in the building throughout the season. Because what's gonna happen? Let's say game three or four they're not playing as well. What are the fans gonna do? ... 'Put the backup in.' And so to hell with all that, whoever's the starting quarterback, the other guy, you've got to trade him or cut him."

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:19 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:42 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 pm
Sure he is going to get a suspension, you don't think Cleveland hadn't considered that when they traded for him? You don't think they bothered to contact the league office over what the situation was, this whole thing is a complete surprise to them? So now their only option is to crawl back to Mayfield after they fired him? I don't know what they might do but I think there is more than a zero percent chance Mayfield isn't qbing their first game
Crawl back??? They just say you are playing or you don't get paid. If he agrees then they win more games, if he doesn't then they don't pay him.
The Browns backup is Jacoby Brissett who is a solid player, So they will be cutting Baker.....everything else is just posturing by the Browns to get some team to pay them.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:57 am

Good point, figure the Browns were comfortable going into the season with Brisett if Watson was suspended
The odds-on favorite to start the most games at quarterback for the Cleveland Browns in 2022 has to be Jacoby Brissett. Baker Mayfield is still likely to be traded while Deshaun Watson is likely to have a significant suspension. We have begun to prepare for a Brissett-led season, or at least a majority of games, with a few pieces. First, with the Browns roster being so good, Brissett only has to be as good or better than an injured Mayfield was in 2021. Second, on the field, Cleveland choosing Brissett over Mayfield may be about taking the higher floor over the higher ceiling player.
Ranked here as sort of a mid tier QB
.Based on these simple rankings tiers, the Browns would go into the 2022 season with at least 11 quarterbacks in the AFC better than Brissett and four others, two as backups, in the same range as him. Cleveland will have to find a way through the other talent on the team and coaching to overcome the separation between Brissett and those quarterbacks.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 am

Bil522 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:19 am
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:42 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 pm
Sure he is going to get a suspension, you don't think Cleveland hadn't considered that when they traded for him? You don't think they bothered to contact the league office over what the situation was, this whole thing is a complete surprise to them? So now their only option is to crawl back to Mayfield after they fired him? I don't know what they might do but I think there is more than a zero percent chance Mayfield isn't qbing their first game
Crawl back??? They just say you are playing or you don't get paid. If he agrees then they win more games, if he doesn't then they don't pay him.
The Browns backup is Jacoby Brissett who is a solid player, So they will be cutting Baker.....everything else is just posturing by the Browns to get some team to pay them.
Saw that that is what makes the "Rumors heating up" notion so absurd. The Rumors are a 10 million year old glacier until he is cut.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:13 pm

The Browns don't have to cut him until the day before the season starts. Any team wanting to have him as their starting QB is going to want him in training camp to learn the system and work with his new teammates. If the Browns Cut him right before the season starts and another team signs him, he is probably not even going to be ready to play for the first 3 or 4 weeks. That gives the Browns a little bit of leverage to at least get a low draft pick and a little bit of salary relief from a team that wants to get Baker into training camp to prepare for the year.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 pm

Seems to be coming down to the Panthers and Hawks. Here is Cowherd on how the Panthers are a better fit.
."Seattle is not a good fit for him," Cowherd continued. "They have a 70-year-old defensive head coach, they’re in an absolutely brutal division, Seattle’s got the weakest roster in it and also, the Seahawks just drafted two new offensive tackles so they’re gonna have brand new kids at tackle. I think one of them is gonna be great, [but] they’re not gonna be great Year 1."
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/b ... a-panthers