Penny's halftime study session led to TD

Michael K.

Re: Penny's halftime study session led to TD

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:25 pm

I said one is a home run hitter but gets stopped short too often, and the other gets the tough yards but won't hit as many homeruns. Not sure what your response was but to refute that.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 pm
The thing is, these two backs are a great compliment. Penny frustrates me with his butt sniffing. He can make three runs in a row that are a loss or zero yards, probably all three of which would be runs that Carson would fall forward for a few. But then? He hits a homerun on the 4th run....one that Carson probably wouldn't have taken to the house.

I am sure I will continue to complain about him, because I hate being in 2nd and long because a back slams into his lineman's ass, or stops his feet and goes down easy...but he is a great lightening to Carson's thunder.
You're starting to get it.. When they drafted Penny there was alot of chatter about him "Trucking over people " and I was like ummmmm . Pretty sure you haven't seen him play. Very unorthodox. But he can make some of the most ridiculous cuts your'e going to see and when he hits it . Looks like the defenders are running in slow motion.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:19 pm
Not to be overly negative, but at some point wouldn't it be nice if Penny could make these reads on his own? How many times is he going to take the ball and run directly into a pile of bodies, usually behind the line of scrimmage. Surely the futility must occur to him at some point and he will feel empowered to try something different without needing encouragement or permission from the coaches.
If there's no hole that's what he is supposed to hit it anyways and get what you can.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:02 pm

I wish he would kind of become the Darren Sproles of our offense. Get him in space whether it be a screen pass or pass to the flats

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am

I'm curious what Penny has to do to shake the hater-aid. Watching the guy I see steady progress. I see big plays. I see a humble kid that is probably working hard. You don't have to chose Penny over Carson to like Penny.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 am

trharder wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am
I'm curious what Penny has to do to shake the hater-aid. Watching the guy I see steady progress. I see big plays. I see a humble kid that is probably working hard. You don't have to chose Penny over Carson to like Penny.
For me he needs to stop with the negative plays. The fall downs, the times he just seems to stop his feet on contact and the times that the play seems to be there and he just runs right into the O Lineman's butt. The Homeruns are great, but to me he is a lot like Dave Kingman. HR or nothing.

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 am
trharder wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am
For me he needs to stop with the negative plays. The fall downs, the times he just seems to stop his feet on contact and the times that the play seems to be there and he just runs right into the O Lineman's butt. The Homeruns are great, but to me he is a lot like Dave Kingman. HR or nothing.
I'm fine with that complaint, but to me it looks like he is improving on that front from last year. I saw him get two yard gains yesterday where last year he would have lost two, for example.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:57 pm

I agree. Sunday's game was probably about the best I've seen him. He's had games with bigger numbers, but there were hardly any negative plays. This offense struggles in 2nd and 3rd and long, mostly because they can't protect the passer, so negative plays are killers...for us probably more than most.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:57 pm
I agree. Sunday's game was probably about the best I've seen him. He's had games with bigger numbers, but there were hardly any negative plays. This offense struggles in 2nd and 3rd and long, mostly because they can't protect the passer, so negative plays are killers...for us probably more than most.
That wasn't even close to his best game

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:01 am

IMO, limiting the negative plays to go along with the big plays was huge. Like I said, we can't afford 2nd and 3rd and long. Penny has had games with better numbers, but it was usually because he ripped off a couple of big plays to go with the drive killing negative ones. I will take the Penny that didn't get stopped short as often.