Franchise tag for Geno?

D-train

Franchise tag for Geno?

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:55 pm

I like this idea. Seems the way to go. If the right qb is available for OUR 2nd round pick I would do that.

DEN 1st Edge
Our 1st DT
Den 2nd C or CB
Our 2nd QB

If they wanted a QB with Denver's 2nd and don't think he will fall I would do that too.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1713202/ ... with-geno/
dt

Codebrown

Re: Franchise tag for Geno?

Post by Codebrown » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:19 pm

As much as Geno has had a surprisingly successful season, I want a monster defense that crushes opponents. I'd love to focus on fixing the d line and linebackers so they put fear in teams. I miss Kam laying out TEs and changing offensive game plans.

Change out the web for LB

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:41 pm

Codebrown wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:19 pm
As much as Geno has had a surprisingly successful season, I want a monster defense that crushes opponents. I'd love to focus on fixing the d line and linebackers so they put fear in teams. I miss Kam laying out TEs and changing offensive game plans.

Change out the web for LB
Yes I would be happy with a LB in the second round as well.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:44 pm

I think that would be a wise way to go. With his age I am not really interested in a long term deal if its going to cost 35-40 million per year. the franchise tag would be be a good bridge to a young QB and if it looked like the new QB wasn't panning out, you could always address another contract with Geno next off season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:54 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:44 pm
I think that would be a wise way to go. With his age I am not really interested in a long term deal if its going to cost 35-40 million per year. the franchise tag would be be a good bridge to a young QB and if it looked like the new QB wasn't panning out, you could always address another contract with Geno next off season.
Yep I don't see a downside...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:54 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:44 pm
Yep I don't see a downside...
If there is a downside it would be that you would more than likely need to get your next QB this offseason. If they wanted to use this year to load up around the QB? Tagging him probably means they need to tag him two years in a row to bridge the gap between him and the next guy. I am not sure that is affordable, tagging him two years in a row.

Codebrown

Post by Codebrown » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:20 pm

I look a Trent Dilfer. Won a superbowl with a great defense but a so so QB. I'd be fine with Drew Lock. The guy got Covid and we never really got to see how he'd perform. Fix the defense and a stronger RB

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:38 pm

Codebrown wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:20 pm
I look a Trent Dilfer. Won a superbowl with a great defense but a so so QB. I'd be fine with Drew Lock. The guy got Covid and we never really got to see how he'd perform. Fix the defense and a stronger RB
THIS defense isn't going to be THAT Ravens defense in one off season. Lock did get a chance. As much bitching as I did about it, he played a LOT in the last pre season game and did nothing but turn the ball over. This team right now has three wins with Lock. MAYBE, because they probably split with the Cards.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:30 pm

I fail to see how Geno smith all of a sudden becomes a $30+ million a year QB because he's put together one decent season. I'd offer him 2 years $40ish million. Draft a QB in the '24 draft. Let him develop for a year and then take over. Last thing the Hawks need if they hope to contend in '23/'24 is a QB eating a larger % of cap space than necessary.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:49 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:30 pm
I fail to see how Geno smith all of a sudden becomes a $30+ million a year QB because he's put together one decent season. I'd offer him 2 years $40ish million. Draft a QB in the '24 draft. Let him develop for a year and then take over. Last thing the Hawks need if they hope to contend in '23/'24 is a QB eating a larger % of cap space than necessary.
If you offer his 20 Million a year he is going to laugh in your face and hit free agency. Some one is going to give him well over 30 Million for multiple years. Kirk Cousins got 2 years 70 Million prior to this year. He has never done anything close to what Geno has done this year.