PFF grades thread

Michael K.

Re: PFF grades thread

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:49 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:39 pm
Other than Bradford (69.2), all the Seahawks guards and centers have PFF run-blocking grades in the 50s. Given Carroll's stated offensive philosophy and the types of plays drawn up (ostensibly) by Waldren, that is an utter failure to address a critical aspect of building the roster.
That has to be why Waldren wants to run all those dive plays.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:29 pm

Don't know where 3 QB pressures per game would rank among edge rushers.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:26 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:49 pm
Other than Bradford (69.2), all the Seahawks guards and centers have PFF run-blocking grades in the 50s. Given Carroll's stated offensive philosophy and the types of plays drawn up (ostensibly) by Waldren, that is an utter failure to address a critical aspect of building the roster.
or maybe that's why the grades suck? Because they keep running the same predictable play, so the defense knows what's coming and the O-line looks bad?

But mostly I'll stick with my opinion that PFF is a joke, especially for blocking grades. They have no idea what the blocking assignments are, so only give positive grades if there's a pancake, and negative if the defender makes the tackle.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:08 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:26 am
Michael K. wrote:
or maybe that's why the grades suck? Because they keep running the same predictable play, so the defense knows what's coming and the O-line looks bad?

But mostly I'll stick with my opinion that PFF is a joke, especially for blocking grades. They have no idea what the blocking assignments are, so only give positive grades if there's a pancake, and negative if the defender makes the tackle.
:lol:

Or MAYBE the grader assumes that the guy the O lineman is trying to block IS HIS ASSIGNMENT :shock: and if the O lineman effectively blocks the guy he is trying to block he gets a positive grade and if he doesn't he gets a negative grade??? :idea: :shock: No that can't possibly be it. Your assumption is FAR more likely. :| :roll: :lol:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:29 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:08 am

Or MAYBE the grader assumes that the guy the O lineman is trying to block IS HIS ASSIGNMENT :shock: and if the O lineman effectively blocks the guy he is trying to block he gets a positive grade and if he doesn't he gets a negative grade??? :idea: :shock: No that can't possibly be it. Your assumption is FAR more likely. :| :roll: :lol:
Could there be times that an O Lineman has an assignment that the PFF grader doesn't understand? Of course. But to believe that there is no way that an O Lineman can be graded because there might be four or five times a game his assignment is mistaken is silly. And I'd imagine four or five times is too high.

My beef has always been that they aren't football guys that are doing the grading. And I would think it would be harder to grade DBs and LBs in coverage and gap assignments than it would O Lineman. You watch the DT ragdoll the Guard or Center and blow up the run play? Gee, how should I score that?

There is NO WHERE to run the ball. Our Interior O Line is dogshit, and our play doesn't realize there are run lanes besides the Guard Center gap! It's a bad combo.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:00 pm

D-train wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

my point is simply that if you don't know the blocking assignment, then if a guy is blocking defender A, but is SUPPOSED to be blocking defender B, then defender B gets a sack or TFL, which gets blamed on... whoever is closest. But it might not be that guy's fault. This was the issue often in the early games where we had injuries and a revolving door on the O-Line. The zone blocking scheme requires everybody to be on the same page, and it gets complicated with the d-line stunts and whatnot.

Secondarily, PFF doesn't have O-linemen grading the O-lines. After seeing low scores for particular players, I went back and watched every single snap, focusing on that player (check back, I did this last year with the O-line). On about 90% of the plays, it looks pretty neutral - neither guy gets blown up, so who gets a positive or negative score on that play? Neither, right? So if an O-lineman gets pushed back half a yard, do they get a negative point, even if the RB got thru the hole or the QB got the pass off? The only way the O-lineman gets a positive grade is if they do something impressive and obvious. But what if the D-lineman's job was to hold the position, not rush, but keep the pocket from breaking apart? He gets no push, but he did what he was supposed to... is that a plus for the O-lineman?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:07 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:00 pm
D-train wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:

my point is simply that if you don't know the blocking assignment, then if a guy is blocking defender A, but is SUPPOSED to be blocking defender B, then defender B gets a sack or TFL, which gets blamed on... whoever is closest. But it might not be that guy's fault. This was the issue often in the early games where we had injuries and a revolving door on the O-Line. The zone blocking scheme requires everybody to be on the same page, and it gets complicated with the d-line stunts and whatnot.

Secondarily, PFF doesn't have O-linemen grading the O-lines. After seeing low scores for particular players, I went back and watched every single snap, focusing on that player (check back, I did this last year with the O-line). On about 90% of the plays, it looks pretty neutral - neither guy gets blown up, so who gets a positive or negative score on that play? Neither, right? So if an O-lineman gets pushed back half a yard, do they get a negative point, even if the RB got thru the hole or the QB got the pass off? The only way the O-lineman gets a positive grade is if they do something impressive and obvious. But what if the D-lineman's job was to hold the position, not rush, but keep the pocket from breaking apart? He gets no push, but he did what he was supposed to... is that a plus for the O-lineman?
Ok I got you. In that case if a guy makes a mental error and the QB is sacked by the guy he should have been blocking who gets to the QB untouched then it would be like a Sun ball in baseball and nobody would get a negative grade. As long as a guy is blocking Somebody that is what his grade would be based on. If he is just standing there dumbfounded not blocking anyone and it is obvious it was him that missed the block then he would probably get a negative grade.

But again this likely doesn't happen often and in over 90%+ of plays it is probably pretty obvious if a guy wins the battle or loses it.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:10 pm

I think other than our FA DL Jones there is a pretty strong correlation between PFF grades and which FAs get the most money so once again follow the money which validates their system. imo
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:28 pm

Cross did his part...

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:36 pm

Grades vs the Rams...

Screenshot_20231121-083128_(1).png
Screenshot_20231121-083128_(1).png (132.22 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Screenshot_20231121-083235_(1).png