Future of Pete - random ranting

D-train

Re: Future of Pete - random ranting

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:51 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:07 pm
It is time for Pete to go - I think he knows it and I think he steps down at the end of this season. The team isnlt that far off from being competitive, I think they need one more solid draft and for the love of God I hope they focus on the front 7 because this defense is an absolute embarrassment. The two things that inevitably send shivers down Seahawk fans spines every single game:

"Seattle has a third and short!"
"3rd and long for the opposing team!"

Another poster put it perfectly a few weeks ago on here "I'm tired of watching this movie." COuld not agree more. I barely participate in any game watching anymore - I am sooooooooooooooooooo tired of the same movie week after week, year after year. It's like your favorite pizza place except the pizza just keeps getting worse and more expensive and you finally realize it's time to go somewhere else. I have no problem with 'winning in the 4th' mentality, but that doesn't mean you decide to show up in the third quarter - and we have seen it for far, far too long. This team is UNWATCHABLE.
It's not the losses - it's the same fucking lame recipe over and over. I check scores but won't watch the games - it's simply too fucking miserable - and it's not just seattle - the entire league has become mostly unwatchable and that is a longer discussion. Watching Detroit get jobbed was pretty painful.

I really wonder how this defense would have looked with Carter up front. I am also so fucking sick of having 30 secondary guys on the roster and no real LB's or monsters up front. No defense can survive building a defense that way. I am mostly pissed for Geno - he's the one dude I wanted to see shine more than anyone else and I think he's doing a good job mostly - the coaching staff has completely let him down IMO.

Never seen a team lacking the fundamentals of tackling like the 2023 Seahawks, a defense so consistantly out of position, a defense that gives up third and long so consistantly. it's like every down is an opportunity to "do the opposite of the right thing". It is utterly embarrassing anyone on that side of the ball is cashing their paychecks at this point - inclusind the coaches - who have clearly lost this team completely.

If I was a betting man I would put money on carroll stepping down - Jody won't fire him - but she's not stupid - she sees the writing on the wall and will allow him a graceful exit on his terms - and he deserves that.
Yeah zero chance the Hawks issue a press release saying "We have fired PC" but I don't think he will get the option to stay if we lose next week so for all intents and purposes it will be a firing with about 57 tubes of lip stick on it. I wonder if PC would be interested in staying with the org if he is told he can't be the HC any longer.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:53 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:09 pm
I'm fine with keeping Pete as long as he wants to coach unless he gets to where he can't complete a sentence like the so-called leader of the free world.
Yeah I am very NOT fine putting one person above the entire team fan base and org just because you think he might get his feelings hurt. He has probably cut 1000s of players in his career, I think he will understand.
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:27 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:53 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:09 pm
I'm fine with keeping Pete as long as he wants to coach unless he gets to where he can't complete a sentence like the so-called leader of the free world.
Yeah I am very NOT fine putting one person above the entire team fan base and org just because you think he might get his feelings hurt. He has probably cut 1000s of players in his career, I think he will understand.
I don't care about Pete getting his feelings hurt. I just like watching him chomp gum on the sidelines and I don't really care if the Seahawks go undefeated or lose all their games. I have no idea whether replacing Pete would create some sort of instant improvement, but I also don't really care if the Seahawks go undefeated or lose all their games.

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:54 pm
trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:51 pm
ddraig wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:52 am
So who would you like to replace Pete?
If I was Jody Allen, I would delegate the decision to John Schneider.
JS isn't firing PC.
If we lose next week I think massive changes are in order including PC no longer being HC.
No idea why anyone thinks Jody isn't engaged. Because she's a girl? LOL
In my imaginary scenario, Jody fires Pete and asks JS to begin the process of finding a new HC.
I'm pretty sure JS doesn't have the authority to fire Pete himself, even if he wants to.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 pm

trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:54 pm
trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:51 pm

If I was Jody Allen, I would delegate the decision to John Schneider.
JS isn't firing PC.
If we lose next week I think massive changes are in order including PC no longer being HC.
No idea why anyone thinks Jody isn't engaged. Because she's a girl? LOL
In my imaginary scenario, Jody fires Pete and asks JS to begin the process of finding a new HC.
I'm pretty sure JS doesn't have the authority to fire Pete himself, even if he wants to.
Sure, a much more normal set up with the GM being the HCs boss. But while the last two drafts have been pretty good the trades and FA signings other than Nwosu have been not good so not sure he would survive a purge.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:29 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 pm
trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 pm
Sure, a much more normal set up with the GM being the HCs boss. But while the last two drafts have been pretty good the trades and FA signings other than Nwosu have been not good so not sure he would survive a purge.
I hear you. JS might be just as much to blame, but I can't help wondering if JS isn't secretly thinking he could regain
his wonderboy status if only he had a McVey or Shanahan driving the sleigh. Just like I was fine with Pete getting two
years post RW, I would like to see JS get two years post Pete. And I would let JS pick his HC.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am

ddraig wrote:
Ben Johnson, and Jim Harbaugh immediately come to mind.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:37 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am
ddraig wrote:
Imagine the culture shock hiring Harbaugh would cause. The players might revolt.

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:05 am

Jim Moore - the goto guy

I was reluctant to think it was time to move on from Pete Carroll until Sunday. But after the Seahawks were punished by the Steelers, the professional football situation in Seattle went from “what if” to “who are we kidding.” If you want to keep what iffing, you’ll point to the Seahawks still being alive for a playoff berth if they beat the Cardinals this Sunday and the Packers lose to the Bears. Then you’ll what if your way into believing the Seahawks will win their first-round game at Dallas, Philadelphia or Detroit because they either beat or were competitive against those teams in the regular season. And if they win that first-round game only to get bludgeoned by the 49ers in the next round, you’ll think the Seahawks are not that far off from returning to the Super Bowl with a tweak here and a tweak there.

I’ve changed camps, wondering why I was a what iffer for so long. It’s pretty evident that the who are we kidding crowd has a better handle on the future of the Seahawks than Carroll’s Kool-Aid drinkers. If Carroll remains as the head coach, the Seahawks will somehow battle the Mariners in an even matchup to the poll question of who’s having the worst offseason. As a skeptic-cynic, I appreciate Carroll’s endless enthusiasm and rosy outlook on seemingly everything. But it’s become too over the top.

I don’t want to hear what he’s so fired up about anymore, especially when it’s not worth being fired up about. What we saw on Sunday was alarming. The Steelers manhandled the Seahawks at the line of scrimmage. They rushed for 202 yards, mostly with routine straight-ahead running plays. After awhile the Seahawks had to know what was coming but couldn’t stop the onslaught anyway. It grew to be constantly comical as the Steelers piled up more and more yards after contact as the Seahawks looked like they’ve never known how to tackle. And they couldn’t stop the pass either, turning a third-string quarterback in Mason Rudolph into a guy who went 18 for 24 for 274 yards.

That put me on the fence between the two camps, but what made me go kicking and screaming to the who are we kiddings was his comment after the game that the Seahawks are actually looking forward to Jamal Adams’ return in 2024. Before the game the Seahawks announced they were shutting down their overpriced safety for the season because he hasn’t been able to fully return from a quad injury suffered in 2022. Adams played in a handful of games this season and was largely ineffective. It’s fair to wonder if he wasn’t ready to go in December, why was he deemed ready to go in October?

Plus if we’re being honest, Adams has too many flaws to warrant playing time even when fully healthy. So to acknowledge that he’s coming back next year either rules out or makes it harder to cut him when you have more time to think about it and determine that your defense is better without him. That’s what should be done whether it puts you in salary cap hell or not. But Carroll looks like he can’t do with Adams what Sean Payton did with Russell Wilson, making a smart decision when justified. If you still want to root for the Seahawks to beat the Cardinals, and the Bears to beat the Packers, fine.

But keep in mind what you’re rooting for is another 9-8 season next year and another early exit from the playoffs. I’d like to see a new coach with a new philosophy who might pump life into a sorry defense and find a way to spark a talented but inconsistent offense. The danger in dusting Carroll is the possibility his successor isn’t worth a damn, and the Seahawks flounder as a result. Make no mistake that Carroll has been the best coach in franchise history, posting one winning season after another, but they’ve gone from really good to pretty good and that’s not good enough. I’ll root for Kyler Murray and the Cardinals to have a day against the Seahawks like they had in Philadelphia on Sunday when they sprung the upset as double-digit underdogs.

Short of that happening, I’ll root for the Packers to win so we can stop this nonsense of thinking the Seahawks could potentially win the Super Bowl this year and if they don’t, it’s still a step in the right direction. I’m ready for a tear-down, even if it means a 3-14 season during the rebuild with bigger dividends down the road. It would be a bold move to fire the best coach in franchise history, but at this point it’s a move that should be made. Jim Moore has covered Washington’s sports scene from every angle for multiple news outlets. You can find him on Twitter @cougsgo, and on KJR-FM 93.3, where he co-hosts a sports talk show from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays. This story was originally published January 1, 2024,

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:30 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am
ddraig wrote:
If harbaugh goes to the pros he'll likely go to a team with a franchise QB - like the Chargers. Seattle is in a bit of purgatory right now until they draft a QB.