Hawks got great Draft Grades

Donn Beach

Re: Hawks got great Draft Grades

Post by Donn Beach » Thu May 02, 2024 8:07 pm

Yeah, seems to me there's a story, what went wrong with Pete. There has to be opinions out there. If you asked Richard Sherman, he always seems happy to give an opinion. Even in terms of how they ran their defensive backfield, what happened? If a reporter went to RS and asked him how Pete went from having the best defense in the NFL to the worst he'd expound?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2024 10:56 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:07 pm
Yeah, seems to me there's a story, what went wrong with Pete. There has to be opinions out there. If you asked Richard Sherman, he always seems happy to give an opinion. Even in terms of how they ran their defensive backfield, what happened? If a reporter went to RS and asked him how Pete went from having the best defense in the NFL to the worst he'd expound?
Knowing him, he would say it was because the LOB left. lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 03, 2024 2:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:56 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Knowing him, he would say it was because the LOB left. lol
But it is! Pete knew how to coach one way, and it required one of the best CBs of his generation, a FS that ran like the wind and might have been the best in his generation, a SS that was an absolute enforcer and one of the best team leaders you could find, a good to great front four that could generate a pass rush without blitzing, one of the best MLBs to play the game back then and KJ Wright, who was incredibly unique. That defense was plug and play. "We are going to do what we are going to do, they know it, and it doesn't matter." Pete had that kind of talent, and not only that? They NFL changed the game because guys like Troy Aikman cried every time he announced one of our games! The NFL hated to see us destroy Manning and his band of softies playing offense in Denver.

So, the game changed, Pete didn't. YES, the LOB left, and YES, Pete refused to adapt to that or the fact that the NFL changed. Look at our offense. Look at our philosophy, look at the absolute glee that fucker had when we won because we sucked for three quarters but came back and won. He'd rather win 21 to 20 by scoring 10 4th quarter points and kicking a sixty yarder to win it than being up 21 to 3 at the half! His risk averse philosophy, his build a defense from the back front, his egotistic belief that he could take a troubled player and fix them!? All lead to his demise. But? Non more than second and goal from the two.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 03, 2024 4:03 pm

This guy agrees with me about Barner being an unnecessary reach and that the Utah IOL is being overlooked. I think both O Line picks with be Starters. If Olu and Harris can handle C then we will have an above average O line.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1775517/ ... ump-stacy/
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat May 04, 2024 4:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:03 pm
This guy agrees with me about Barner being an unnecessary reach and that the Utah IOL is being overlooked. I think both O Line picks with be Starters. If Olu and Harris can handle C then we will have an above average O line.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1775517/ ... ump-stacy/
Haynes for sure should start Day 1, barring injury. would not shock me if Laumea also ends up starting later in the year, but how soon depends a lot on if they slot Haynes at LG or RG. Could easily see him plugged at RG to start opposite Tomlinson at his usual LG spot to begin the year. that may be best short-term, but long-term likely better if Haynes takes the LG spot and Bradford/Laumea battle for RG. Bradford didnt exactly set the world on fire as a rookie and doesnt seem like a good scheme fit for the Huff/Grubb O. Could easily see him getting traded for a bag of balls or a future round 7, if not outright cut. Laumea could also be Abe Lucas insurance, but hard to imagine him passing Fant for that role early this year. A year later possibly, but way better suited to G.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat May 04, 2024 8:23 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
I suspect it was a mix of things that led to the demise. The SB defensive players were really good, but I'm not sure
those same players would have had equally as good careers with other teams. There was a magic to what Pete
first brought. The scheme worked back then , but it was the players buying in that put it over the top. Recently,
the system didn't work and Pete lost the team. Pete failed to adapt schematically, even though he wrote a book
about always competing. As a 60 yo who works with younger co-workers, I can tell you it can be hard to be taken
seriously by some younger people. It was time for the change, no doubt. But although Pete didn't attain a dynasty,
he did attain a legacy. I will miss watching the gum-chewing positive maniac on the sideline, but hopefully this
next regime gets us back to being a truly dangerous playoff team.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 8:39 pm

Yeah, if you chart it to the LOB, Pete's demise pretty much followed the LOB demise. And that's the thing, people will say he just had a bunch of great players. Okay give me the list of successful coaches that did it with bad players. But the players he had were better than the record. Or at least coaching should have been able to raise them better than 27th or whatever it was.

My guess is it had to do with his staff. The talent and cohesiveness seemed to erode. He didn't have the talent around him as in the early years. That he had to keep firing his coordinators, that just looked terrible to me. You want them to move on to be HCs not get fired. There was something haywire. The machine that went from winning college championships to SBs came unglued

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:39 pm
Yeah, if you chart it to the LOB, Pete's demise pretty much followed the LOB demise. And that's the thing, people will say he just had a bunch of great players. Okay give me the list of successful coaches that did it with bad players. But the players he had were better than the record. Or at least coaching should have been able to raise them better than 27th or whatever it was.

My guess is it had to do with his staff. The talent and cohesiveness seemed to erode. He didn't have the talent around him as in the early years. That he had to keep firing his coordinators, that just looked terrible to me. You want them to move on to be HCs not get fired. There was something haywire. The machine that went from winning college championships to SBs came unglued
The rules changed, the players were less hungry, the players were pissed at the coaches for blowing the Super Bowl. A lot happened, not the least of it being that the Head Coach and VP of Football Ops failed to adapt to any of it.

douche

Post by douche » Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm

trharder wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:23 pm
There was a magic to what Pete first brought. The scheme worked back then , but it was the players buying in that put it over the top. Recently,
the system didn't work and Pete lost the team. Pete failed to adapt schematically, even though he wrote a book
about always competing. As a 60 yo who works with younger co-workers, I can tell you it can be hard to be taken
seriously by some younger people. It was time for the change, no doubt. But although Pete didn't attain a dynasty,
he did attain a legacy.
Agreed. I think what really hurt the team was that SB loss. The team was just never the same after that. Lots of finger pointing and blame. It destroyed the fabric of the team and, subsequently, destroyed Pete's shot at a dynasty.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 am

Draft wrap up. Inside the Draft room.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/he-s-goin ... -nfl-draft
dt