Re: Rookie Camp

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:21 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:58 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:10 pm
Didn't he say he grew up in a small town by Wenatchee? I take it Drew moved from there to Walla Walla.
I grew up in a tiny town outside of Wenatchee called Waterville. Drew moved away in the sixth grade. They first moved to Benton City, but eventually ended up, of course, in Walla Walla.
I drove through Waterville about 2005 on the way to Sun Lakes and stopped at a grocery store. It felt like 1955. The farmers in the checkout line had credit at the Grocery store and instead of paying the clerk, she wrote down the amount on an index card. I couldn't believe it.
Yep. I probably still owed money at the gas station and the grocery store until I was in my mid twenties. All from credit extended to me while I was in HS! It's not a terrible thing, small towns. I earned a letter in baseball as an 8th grader! LOL. The country songs are not lying. Lots of drinking in fields on tailgates, lots of people knowing your business, but would also do anything for you. I would probably move back, but my wife can't stand it.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 09, 2024 6:05 pm

Thu May 09, 2024 4:45 pm
What do you mean by stability? How much the position is up for grabs or how good it is overall?

I don't expect Haynes to be above average as a rookie and don't expect much from Olu. Hope to be pleasantly surprised.
I don't expect much out of any of them. Cross hasn't exactly played like a first rounder and Lucas doesn't really play. The interior might actually be worse than last year, which is scary. Ive resigned myself to the fact that since we were blessed with a great O Line in 2003, and could have road graded our way to a Super Bowl, and instead had a coach that thought Matt Hasselbeck, D Jax and Jeremy Stevens were the answer? Then we thumbed our noses at the Football Gods by opening up Hutch toa poison pill? We are doomed to shit O Lines.

The best O Lineman we've had since was Okung. And even he didn't offer an opportunity to come back. What draft pick have we given a second contract to? What signing has been a good one? Something about this city, since Walter left, that breeds this. Remember? Walter Jones was the first ever Seahawk O Lineman to be a Pro Bowler. Let that sink in a bit.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2024 6:17 pm

What do you mean by stability? How much the position is up for grabs or how good it is overall?

I don't expect Haynes to be above average as a rookie and don't expect much from Olu. Hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Stability as in the position is set. In good hands.

Haynes was expected to be a second round pick and people were stunned he fell so far. People have been signing his praises as much as Murphy. Either they are all full of she or he will be average at a minimum. Bradford in year two should be better.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2024 6:18 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

I grew up in a tiny town outside of Wenatchee called Waterville. Drew moved away in the sixth grade. They first moved to Benton City, but eventually ended up, of course, in Walla Walla.
I drove through Waterville about 2005 on the way to Sun Lakes and stopped at a grocery store. It felt like 1955. The farmers in the checkout line had credit at the Grocery store and instead of paying the clerk, she wrote down the amount on an index card. I couldn't believe it.
Yep. I probably still owed money at the gas station and the grocery store until I was in my mid twenties. All from credit extended to me while I was in HS! It's not a terrible thing, small towns. I earned a letter in baseball as an 8th grader! LOL. The country songs are not lying. Lots of drinking in fields on tailgates, lots of people knowing your business, but would also do anything for you. I would probably move back, but my wife can't stand it.
LOL why can't she stand it?
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 10, 2024 12:43 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 6:05 pm

I don't expect much out of any of them. Cross hasn't exactly played like a first rounder and Lucas doesn't really play. The interior might actually be worse than last year, which is scary. Ive resigned myself to the fact that since we were blessed with a great O Line in 2003, and could have road graded our way to a Super Bowl, and instead had a coach that thought Matt Hasselbeck, D Jax and Jeremy Stevens were the answer? Then we thumbed our noses at the Football Gods by opening up Hutch toa poison pill? We are doomed to shit O Lines.

The best O Lineman we've had since was Okung. And even he didn't offer an opportunity to come back. What draft pick have we given a second contract to? What signing has been a good one? Something about this city, since Walter left, that breeds this. Remember? Walter Jones was the first ever Seahawk O Lineman to be a Pro Bowler. Let that sink in a bit.
That's surprising. No-one from the 83/84 O lines - McKenzie, Bush, Essink, Bailey, Pratt, ??? - made a Pro Bowl?
Last edited by Sibelius Hindemith on Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 am

D-train wrote:
Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:10 pm
Didn't he say he grew up in a small town by Wenatchee? I take it Drew moved from there to Walla Walla.
I reported on the Wenatchee Church Child Abuse Sex Crimes case a thousand years ago and sat in that Waterville courthouse for a while. Good times!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 10, 2024 1:28 pm

“I love Coach Huff so far. He’s just a real technique-based guy,” Haynes said. “Like, you can have the right angles, but he really harps (on) the technique, and I really love that in an O-line coach because in this league you need to have great technique to be able to block the best defenders possible. And I love that how, like, even though I’m doing a good job, he’s harping on even make me even better. I love that (from) an offensive line coach as a player.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:28 pm
“I love Coach Huff so far. He’s just a real technique-based guy,” Haynes said. “Like, you can have the right angles, but he really harps (on) the technique, and I really love that in an O-line coach because in this league you need to have great technique to be able to block the best defenders possible. And I love that how, like, even though I’m doing a good job, he’s harping on even make me even better. I love that (from) an offensive line coach as a player.”
Haynes is super smart and had a great academic career.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 pm

I think Huff will be interesting, how he transitions. Hes a great coach. Supposedly he's the real hard ass. He has a really tough approach. That's fine but sometimes such things don't transition from college to the pros that well. We will see if professional football players buy into it
"Everyone loved playing for him," he said. "But you also don't want to fall below the standard that gets you on his bad side."

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 3:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 pm
I think Huff will be interesting, how he transitions. Hes a great coach. Supposedly he's the real hard ass. He has a really tough approach. That's fine but sometimes such things don't transition from college to the pros that well. We will see if professional football players buy into it
"Everyone loved playing for him," he said. "But you also don't want to fall below the standard that gets you on his bad side."
Anyone on our line that is worth a shit has 2 years or less than experience. Not like he is going to be coaching up 30+ yo Walter Jones.
dt