This is exactly what I have been talking about for YEARS!!

D-train

This is exactly what I have been talking about for YEARS!!

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2024 4:11 pm

Just basic trigonometry that you have to throw it MUCH further when you throw to the sidelines vs. over the middle yet they only went over the middle FOUR % of the time?????? Insanity! Thank God the inmates are no longer running the asylum! Also I assumed they won't be throwing many 30 yard fades on 3rd and 3 or 5 yard passes on 3rd and 7-10!
“Why are in-cuts easier and typically gimmes compared to out cuts? Very simple – distance,” Huard said. “When you throw a slant – when you throw an in-cut – that ball from the QB’s hands to that receiver travels less distance. You throw these comebacks, you throw these out cuts, you throw these corners, you throw these out-breaking routes, guess what? The ball has to travel farther, with more precision.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1775795/ ... of-routes/
dt

douche

Re: This is exactly what I have been talking about for YEARS!!

Post by douche » Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm

Just give me 'gimmes'. :D

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 14, 2024 6:24 pm

douche wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm
Just give me 'gimmes'. :D
They tried to make is SO difficult for NO F-ING Reason!
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 14, 2024 6:38 pm

Hopefully we'll see less of the following under MM:

1. early time-outs
2. 3rd down passes short of the sticks
3. dive plays on 2nd and 10
4. giving up the middle of the field and corners way off the line of scrimmage on 3rd downs

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 14, 2024 6:56 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:38 pm

1. early time-outs
4. giving up the middle of the field and corners way off the line of scrimmage on 3rd downs
I am really excited to see what we look like on third down on defense. My belief is that Pete was saved by the LOB and those early seasons with stud pass rushers. Having Sherman take away a third of the field, having ET run free at FS, and guys like Clemons, Bennett, Avril and others be complete menaces on passing downs without blitzing? Oh, and Kam destroying dudes?

Once he lost that advantage? He couldn't stop anyone, and his "don't get beat deep" philosophy just became a "get beat all the time" philosophy.

I remember Sark losing a game at ASU where his last three plays on offense were BRUTAL! He called a dive play from inside the twenty, and then another one...and then with the clock winding down? Called a pass. Locker threw incomplete, we punted, and then Nick Holt's vaunted defense left like six Sun Devils open deep and we lost. After the game Sark admitted to panicking. Basically said at USC they would have run those two dive plays, gained close to 15 yards combined and then he would have had field to work with. Yeah Sark, you don't have NFL guys playing college guys anymore. That was Pete. Had a superior talent advantage at USC, turned his knowledge of College kids and his raw raw attitude into a talent advantage with a bunch of hungry young guys while here. Then?

douche

Post by douche » Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

1. early time-outs
Agreed. And more of the following:

1. a sense of urgency
2. better clock management
3. plays designed to player's strengths (related to D-train's article)
4. timely and sensible challenge flags

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed May 15, 2024 1:45 am

douche wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

1. early time-outs
Agreed. And more of the following:

1. a sense of urgency
2. better clock management
3. plays designed to player's strengths (related to D-train's article)
4. timely and sensible challenge flags
LOL. I'm calling those two lists The Great Eight!

Also, one thing I'd like to see from a player who isn't named Geno this season:

DK steps up and becomes a leader on this team, and somehow avoids tantrums, taunting and unsportsmanlike flags of death.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Wed May 15, 2024 4:05 am

D-train wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:11 pm
Just basic trigonometry that you have to throw it MUCH further when you throw to the sidelines vs. over the middle yet they only went over the middle FOUR % of the time?????? Insanity! Thank God the inmates are no longer running the asylum! Also I assumed they won't be throwing many 30 yard fades on 3rd and 3 or 5 yard passes on 3rd and 7-10!
“Why are in-cuts easier and typically gimmes compared to out cuts? Very simple – distance,” Huard said. “When you throw a slant – when you throw an in-cut – that ball from the QB’s hands to that receiver travels less distance. You throw these comebacks, you throw these out cuts, you throw these corners, you throw these out-breaking routes, guess what? The ball has to travel farther, with more precision.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1775795/ ... of-routes/
I've watched videos of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady - videos that were just nonstop clips of completions they made throughout their careers.

Something they had in common is that most of their completions were quick, first-read passes, often right up the middle. Not a lot of holding onto the ball, waiting for the flanker to get downfield, or long jump ball passes to the sidelines.

I think a ton of their success was they knew the playbook so well, and could read defenses so well pre-snap, that they knew who was likely to be open within their throwing window. That, and being disciplined enough to favor the smart pass over the glorious pass.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:29 am

Anybody shocked we didn't take a QB this year. Now what? Hope for Shedeur or Ewers next year is that it?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 15, 2024 8:34 am

Howell took the place of drafting a QB