Does BWags want to get JS fired?

57reasons

Re: Does BWags want to get JS fired?

Post by 57reasons » Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm

ThePro wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Yes it would be.. Let me ask you a question? Is Wagner a better MLB than CJ Mosley?
That may be the question for BWag's agent, but that is not the question for the team. The only question for Schneider is what is the best interest for the team, short-term and long-term. There are numbers that make sense, and numbers that dont cap wise. Not saying i know what that figure is, but absent some extenuating factor such as a coming huge cap increase (which i doubt given the sagging TV ratings), i cannot think it is as high as Mosley's deal, especially given as said that Bobby still has a year to go on his current contract. So the challenge for JS will be to get creative to continue to message correctly how much they love him, and appeal to the ego in another way, such as giving him more guaranteed than CJ, or bigger bonus, etc. - some way that allows him to claim "highest-paid" without being so detrimental as a cap hit.
Worst case scenario if Bobby wont budge, they've still got him this year, can franchise him the next, then Barton is ready to take over. By that time Bobby will not likely be the same league-best player anyway, so the timing just makes sense. Yet another reason to like this year's draft.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 25, 2019 4:23 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm
ThePro wrote:

Yes it would be.. Let me ask you a question? Is Wagner a better MLB than CJ Mosley?
That may be the question for BWag's agent, but that is not the question for the team. The only question for Schneider is what is the best interest for the team, short-term and long-term. There are numbers that make sense, and numbers that dont cap wise. Not saying i know what that figure is, but absent some extenuating factor such as a coming huge cap increase (which i doubt given the sagging TV ratings), i cannot think it is as high as Mosley's deal, especially given as said that Bobby still has a year to go on his current contract. So the challenge for JS will be to get creative to continue to message correctly how much they love him, and appeal to the ego in another way, such as giving him more guaranteed than CJ, or bigger bonus, etc. - some way that allows him to claim "highest-paid" without being so detrimental as a cap hit.
Worst case scenario if Bobby wont budge, they've still got him this year, can franchise him the next, then Barton is ready to take over. By that time Bobby will not likely be the same league-best player anyway, so the timing just makes sense. Yet another reason to like this year's draft.
That's not what I said at all... Some want Wagner to give the team a discount. Why would he? If Hawks won't pay someone else will. And Wagner doesn't have an agent.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl ... -increase/

They are getting a huge boost from gambling money and streaming services as well.. Yeah dude you couldn't be any more misinformed.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm

ThePro wrote:
D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:46 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:38 pm
I never have gotten that whole "set the market" concept where players are being overpaid. If I were management my immediate response to something like that would be "That's their choice".

What's funny is that it's not like that in baseball even though it could be. Could you imagine everyone that's better than Bryce Harper wanting to renegotiate their contracts? We'd be paying 250 bucks to sit in the nosebleeds.
That was exactly my point. What if it came out today that the Jet's GM's daughter and Mosely had secretly eloped and Mosely was actually his son in law or if the Jet's GM was diagnosed with early onset Dementia. Absurd examples but would the market still be set no matter what?

Obviously but that does mean teams he should be paid more than Mosely. If they think Mosely was only worth $13-14MM then they might only off Bobby $15-16MM
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 25, 2019 10:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Obviously but that does mean teams he should be paid more than Mosely. If they think Mosely was only worth $13-14MM then they might only off Bobby $15-16MM
Wagner isn't a used car. " Worth" does not apply here. You said obviously. That's it. Mosley's contract set the market. Wagner's contract starts there. Wagner is a better player. Seahawks are paying it and/or Wagner us giving the team a discount or he is gone after this season. This isn't that difficult to follow.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Tue May 28, 2019 12:23 am

ThePro wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:52 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Wagner isn't a used car. " Worth" does not apply here. You said obviously. That's it. Mosley's contract set the market. Wagner's contract starts there. Wagner is a better player. Seahawks are paying it and/or Wagner us giving the team a discount or he is gone after this season. This isn't that difficult to follow.
I think you have kinda a binary issue it is not a 0100010 black or white, yes or no world. Mosely is 26 Bobby is negotiating for his age 30 season because he is under contract next year and is 28 today. Mosely has been a 4 time pro bowler and you could argue he is as good now and will be better over the 2019 to 2013 window than Bobby will be at age 30 to 35 2020-2024.Really Bobby does not have as strong as a position as you think. The Hawks can keep him in 2019 and tag him in 2020 now he is a free agent. The 2 figures for the differnt tags for LB is 15.77 Mil and 13.62 and if they tagged him a 2nd year they would just have to pay him 120% of his previous salary. Oh and both these would be big per year salaries but not some huge guarantee.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... 7lne9t9ka0

Not to mention Washington (7 states do not) does not have a state income tax which gives players here a true income that is higher than most other states the max fed bracket is 37% but try LA or NYC
10 mil in Seattle is 6.3 Million net
10 Mil in LA 37 fed tax plus 13.3 Ca state income tax = 4.97 M net
NYC 10 mil -37% FED, - 8.82 NY state income tax, - NYC income tan 2.9 to 3.648 use the bigger =4,9468,000 year.
If you wanted to know the other 0 income tax states with big time sports franchises are Texas, Florida, Tennessee, and Nevada, along with WY, and SD that are not. So if I am negotiating I am baking that in. Especially any mention of of signing bonus up front being non taxed vs taxed.
10 million in Seattle is worth 12,676 Mil in Ca, and 12.736 million in NYC
IN NYC that 17 = 8.449 million per year that is worth
13.41111111111 million /year in Seattle so there you go.

Because the more you know,,,. The more you know.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 12:29 am

That was alot of nonsense... The franchise tag for Wagner is 16.845 in '20 and 20.214 in '21.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/1 ... 49857?s=19

One thing you are failing to realize is what are the Hawks going to do for his replacement if they don't sign him? Same situation as Wilson. Maybe even worse.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 am

By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
Systematically, the Seahawks have been crossing items off their “to-do” list, until now just one more major task stands between them and a nearly flawless offseason.

Granted, it’s a biggie: Work out a contract extension for All-Pro linebacker Bobby Wagner. And, preferably, do it before training camp starts in July.

It won’t be easy. Fellow linebacker C.J. Mosley assured that when he signed his out-of-whack extension (five years for a maximum $85 million, with $51 million guaranteed) with the Jets. That contract took the market in a direction that dismayed the Seahawks — and delighted Wagner’s agent.

Oh, yeah, that happens to be Wagner himself, and player-directed negotiations are always a dicey proposition.

But here’s the good news: Wagner wants to make a deal, or at least it appears so. The Seahawks want to make a deal.

The Seahawks have the financial wherewithal and salary-cap flexibility to make a deal.

ADVERTISING

So, barring unreasonableness and/or hardheadedness that would be uncharacteristic on either side, a deal will get done.

A deal must get done.

OK, technically, it doesn’t have to get done. Wagner does, after all, have another year left on his contract, and he has not given any indication of a holdout. Quite the opposite — Wagner showed up for the optional OTAs, when he could have easily stayed away. No, he didn’t practice, but under the circumstances, it was a gesture of good faith and leadership.

But after working out Russell Wilson’s new deal in mid-April, it would be symbolic for the Seahawks to lock up “the quarterback of the defense,” as Wagner (correctly) referred to himself.

And not only symbolic — with such a vast turnover of core players in recent years, the Seahawks have a vital need for the savvy institutional knowledge, and still-ferocious tackling ability, of Wagner.

Pete Carroll called the relationship with Wagner in regards to negotiations “amicable,” which is always a great place to start. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to remain that way, despite all the best intentions.

Wagner the agent may have a desire to stay above the fray, but his client is an athlete. The same competitive drive that has fueled him to five Pro Bowls will eventually work its way into negotiations. They already have, in fact, with Wagner’s statement that he expects to beat Mosley’s deal.

ADVERTISING

That’s the way great players in all sports view contract negotiations, in my experience. If someone whom you are convinced you’re better than — and virtually every NFL observer would agree that Wagner is a superior player to Mosley — gets a new contract, you want to exceed that number. It can become an obsession.

It’s why athletes feel they’ve been done wrong and express righteous indignation while making exorbitant salaries. That paradox has a tendency to alienate fans. But at its core, it’s not about the money, per se. It’s about comparative value. It’s about pride and perception and self-worth.

So, yes, the potential for acrimony always exists. That’s why the Seahawks have to reconcile themselves, and quickly, to the fact that the Mosley number is the new standard.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

Mosley’s deal might be an outlier, and the Jets may have been foolish for giving it to him. Instead of moving the market forward incrementally, he pushed it ahead exponentially. According to Spotrac, his $85-million total is the highest for an inside linebacker by a whopping $23 million. His $51 million in guarantees ranks first by $17 million.

And his $17 million annual average is $3.5 million ahead of the next player (Kwon Alexander).

It’s off-kilter. It’s a head-shaker. But like it or not, it established the marketplace, and the Seahawks are going to have to somehow beat it.

ADVERTISING

There’s nuance to that — they can beat the annual average without giving Wagner, who is two years older than Mosley, the same length of contract. That’s where reasonable minds have to come together — and hopefully do so before players disperse after minicamps in mid-June.

The Seahawks have been resolute in pushing sentiment aside in their decisions about who to move forward with. As I wrote earlier, you have to be ruthless sometimes, especially as age creeps in.

But there are times to tweak that mindset. Sure, it would be a risk to give such a lucrative contract to a nearly 30-year-old linebacker with so much mileage. The only thing riskier, in fact, would be to not do so.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm

too much risk to just 'pay the man.' He's getting to that age where injuries can creep in and linger - can't have $18 million sitting on the bench.
How many people think Belichick would "just pay the man?" He wouldn't, and yet they'll survive and go to another SB. Love Wags, but let him play out the season, tag him once, let him move on at 32. he will become diminishing returns and you smart teams don't strap themselves into that cap situation. People just seem to always dismiss the risk factor for the sake of sentimentality. Sentimentality doesn't win titles - ask the Patriots about that, and that is not a knock on Wags.

Why does this thread title suggest Wags would want to get JS fired? Why would that ever be the case? That's like a CNN level attention grabber. There is no evidence of any rift between them, so why would he want to get him fired? I don't get that at all. Totally misleading headline.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm
too much risk to just 'pay the man.' He's getting to that age where injuries can creep in and linger - can't have $18 million sitting on the bench.
How many people think Belichick would "just pay the man?" He wouldn't, and yet they'll survive and go to another SB. Love Wags, but let him play out the season, tag him once, let him move on at 32. he will become diminishing returns and you smart teams don't strap themselves into that cap situation. People just seem to always dismiss the risk factor for the sake of sentimentality. Sentimentality doesn't win titles - ask the Patriots about that, and that is not a knock on Wags.

Why does this thread title suggest Wags would want to get JS fired? Why would that ever be the case? That's like a CNN level attention grabber. There is no evidence of any rift between them, so why would he want to get him fired? I don't get that at all. Totally misleading headline.
Name a defender(or top player) Belichick has had the level of Wagner that he didn't pay? If the Patriots had Wagner they would write the check. That simple. The drop off in play if they let Wagner walk would be catastrophic. Hawks and Wagner both know this.