Parkinson

D-train

Re: Parkinson

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:56 pm

ThePro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:49 pm
Jesus...
Carroll: "He's been such a rock-solid kid. They rave about his commitment and his consistency. I'm hoping with that frame that we can beef him up a little bit and he can become a really effective blocker for us. He's an enormous kid. The catching stuff is all there. We got to see him develop as a blocker and become a unique player there as a combo threat."
I just spent 10 minutes looking for that exact quote and you found it for me. You got skills Pro! LOL
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:57 pm

I will await Don Gorgons commentary that bulking up is different than beefing up. LMAO
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:56 pm
ThePro wrote:
Jesus...
Carroll: "He's been such a rock-solid kid. They rave about his commitment and his consistency. I'm hoping with that frame that we can beef him up a little bit and he can become a really effective blocker for us. He's an enormous kid. The catching stuff is all there. We got to see him develop as a blocker and become a unique player there as a combo threat."
I just spent 10 minutes looking for that exact quote and you found it for me. You got skills Pro! LOL
Blocking will make him a more effective TE but someone with receiving skills like that I don't want blocking or weight to keep him off the field. He is a weapon.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:41 pm

ThePro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm
D-train wrote:
ThePro wrote:
Jesus...

Blocking will make him a more effective TE but someone with receiving skills like that I don't want blocking or weight to keep him off the field. He is a weapon.
He's a more dangerous weapon when Russ is upright.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 pm

ThePro wrote:
Jesus...
Translation. I drafted a kid that is a talented pass catcher and a matchup nightmare, but much like Jimmy Graham, I am going to limit what he does best to try and force him to do what he doesn't do best...because? I want to run the damn ball. Convert one of the sixty extra lineman we have into the next George Fant type hybrid OL/TE. Shit, we have options for a two TE set with Olsen and Dissly where we can run or pass and not have a weak link blocking....why force this square peg into a round hole?

I am of course exaggerating. But, you are taking a kid that is very hard to cover, and taking away some of his ability to be hard to cover because you want to add weight to a pass catcher? How many times have you read that a receiver needs to gain weight to be a better player? You don't read that, but we took a wide receiver, and because he is tall are going to try and add weight to pretend it will just make him a better blocker all the while not reducing any of his pass catching abilities. Good luck with that.

I just don't get it. Maybe this is possible, but I just see this as another way that Pete doesn't understand the tools he has. He needed a hammer, but bought a wrench and feels with a few tweaks he can use it for both!

Teach him the right technique, if that is what is needed. Work on his hands, his footwork, what ever. But, adding weight to this kid is going to limit what he does best. As for Don? He always went the other way, asking why someone would want to lose weight. The issue with Felix, and guys actually thinking if he lost belly fat he wouldn't be the same pitcher, is silly. Maybe an interior D Lineman or an Offensive Lineman could POSSIBLY be less effective with less fat, probably a Sumo Wrestler. But this belief that reducing body fat will some how make you less an athlete is just dumb.

Could this Parkinson kid add weight? Sure, but let's not pretend that for kids in the kind of shape these guys are in that adding muscle is as easy as lifting weight and eating steak. The NFL obviously has advantages as far as training and nutrition, but what are we going to do what? Email this kid a diet and workout during shutdown and all will be good!?

Kind of like drafting a MLB and telling me we will just all of a sudden turn him into a pass rushing OLB. Yep, no problem.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 pm
ThePro wrote:
Jesus...
Translation. I drafted a kid that is a talented pass catcher and a matchup nightmare, but much like Jimmy Graham, I am going to limit what he does best to try and force him to do what he doesn't do best...because? I want to run the damn ball. Convert one of the sixty extra lineman we have into the next George Fant type hybrid OL/TE. Shit, we have options for a two TE set with Olsen and Dissly where we can run or pass and not have a weak link blocking....why force this square peg into a round hole?

I am of course exaggerating. But, you are taking a kid that is very hard to cover, and taking away some of his ability to be hard to cover because you want to add weight to a pass catcher? How many times have you read that a receiver needs to gain weight to be a better player? You don't read that, but we took a wide receiver, and because he is tall are going to try and add weight to pretend it will just make him a better blocker all the while not reducing any of his pass catching abilities. Good luck with that.

I just don't get it. Maybe this is possible, but I just see this as another way that Pete doesn't understand the tools he has. He needed a hammer, but bought a wrench and feels with a few tweaks he can use it for both!

Teach him the right technique, if that is what is needed. Work on his hands, his footwork, what ever. But, adding weight to this kid is going to limit what he does best. As for Don? He always went the other way, asking why someone would want to lose weight. The issue with Felix, and guys actually thinking if he lost belly fat he wouldn't be the same pitcher, is silly. Maybe an interior D Lineman or an Offensive Lineman could POSSIBLY be less effective with less fat, probably a Sumo Wrestler. But this belief that reducing body fat will some how make you less an athlete is just dumb.

Could this Parkinson kid add weight? Sure, but let's not pretend that for kids in the kind of shape these guys are in that adding muscle is as easy as lifting weight and eating steak. The NFL obviously has advantages as far as training and nutrition, but what are we going to do what? Email this kid a diet and workout during shutdown and all will be good!?

Kind of like drafting a MLB and telling me we will just all of a sudden turn him into a pass rushing OLB. Yep, no problem.
When he's on ...he's on brilliant post ^^^^^

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 pm

D-train wrote:
ThePro wrote:
Jesus...
Seriously I wanted to tell you thank you for putting this together and this is way better than the times forum ever was and you're doing a great job as a moderator.

Thank you

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:51 pm

ThePro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 pm
D-train wrote:
ThePro wrote:
Jesus...

Seriously I wanted to tell you thank you for putting this together and this is way better than the times forum ever was and you're doing a great job as a moderator.

Thank you
Thanks Pro. I really appreciate that! Doing my best!

And thanks again for finding that quote. I think you guys know that I don't pull stuff out of my ass just to make a point. If I say I read it, you know I really read it. :)
dt

KingCorran

Post by KingCorran » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Parkinson is my favorite pick by Seattle in this draft. But then again, I *am* a Stanford fan.

Still.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:17 pm

KingCorran wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm
Parkinson is my favorite pick by Seattle in this draft. But then again, I *am* a Stanford fan.

Still.
Hopefully the opposing team's LBs and DBs will feel like they have Parkinson's disease when trying to cover him.
dt