Rashaad Penny

Michael K.

Re: Rashaad Penny

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 pm

ThePro wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 pm
I think Penny beats him out this year regardless.
I am more than a little worried about the guy. The fact that the position of RB in the pros seemed like a big deal to him makes me wonder about his smarts. Being big and fast isn't enough in the Pros. I hope I am wrong, but something tells me that Pete likes these explosive guys....who are simpletons. I don't need any more Thomas Rawls or C Mikes!

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 pm
ThePro wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 pm
I think Penny beats him out this year regardless.
I am more than a little worried about the guy. The fact that the position of RB in the pros seemed like a big deal to him makes me wonder about his smarts. Being big and fast isn't enough in the Pros. I hope I am wrong, but something tells me that Pete likes these explosive guys....who are simpletons. I don't need any more Thomas Rawls or C Mikes!
I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:59 pm

I saw a guy that was not ready for prime time at the beginning of the season, but looked better as the year went on. In this off season, he dedicated himself to getting better, working on both the mental and physical aspects of his game. I think he'll be fine, and it appears to me that we have an excellent running back rotation.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Carson and Penny have fairly different styles of running. I heard someone on the radio (can't remember if it was a guest analyst or one of the hosts) saying that Penny is a Shaun Alexander type of running back. In other words, he waits on his blockers then uses acceleration to burst through the hole (assuming one is opened up). I don't know how accurate that is, but they are about the same size and build. Hopefully, the coaches can find the best way to utilize the two of them based on the type of D they are facing. Also I would think it might be effective to use Penny more earlier in the game and then pound the ball with Carson later on..

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 pm
Carson and Penny have fairly different styles of running. I heard someone on the radio (can't remember if it was a guest analyst or one of the hosts) saying that Penny is a Shaun Alexander type of running back. In other words, he waits on his blockers then uses acceleration to burst through the hole (assuming one is opened up). I don't know how accurate that is
That is 100% accurate. Penny is a Shaun Alexander/ Leveon Bell type of runner. Compounding that even more is he only ran out of a Power I in college and had to learn the nuances of a predominantly Zone Read running game.

Penny working with Marshall Faulk really is a big deal.
Last edited by ThePro on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:52 pm

So which running back is best suited to the type of blocking scheme they run under Solari, or will the run plays be specific to whoever is carrying the ball? It seemed to me that the blocking last year was way mre vanilla than what they did under Holmgren.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:52 pm
So which running back is best suited to the type of blocking scheme they run under Solari, or will the run plays be specific to whoever is carrying the ball? It seemed to me that the blocking last year was way mre vanilla than what they did under Holmgren.
No not at all the blocking schemes they do now are far more sophisticated than anything Holmgren used. A hybrid of ZBS with power run schemes ( Traps, counters etc.) . Carson is better suited but Penny has more overall talent. Like you said in your earlier post. His style is unorthodox. To put it in layman terms . If it were baseball Carson is a high average guy. Limited power lots of singles and doubles . Penny is the home run hitter. He'll strike out more but he will break off those long runs that make up for the stops at LOS and negative plays.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:02 pm

I have a very good feeling about Penny if he stays fairly healthy. There almost seems to be two Rashaad Pennys. The statistical fantasy player football card that you see talked about in the media and on Seahawks forums, and the real Rashaad Penny. For me, the real Penny is evidenced when the guy is actually interviewed. The video Pro linked is the second time I've hear Penny put through the cliche questions of media and allowed to try to come away with his dignity. The first time I heard him was on 710 radio with Danny Dave and Moore.

Penny is consistently saying the same things. The main thing I'm hearing is he's humble. He's talking with and taking advise from veteran players who are a good role model. He talks about his game from the perspective that he hasn't "arrived" yet. The other thing is his weight. Penny consistently is saying he has to stay lighter to "feel good", which I take to mean be maximum effective as a RB. When media and fans talked about the weight last year it was often an argument on whether the weight was a thing or not. Penny himself says it's a thing, and he's consciously working to get light to be maximum effective.

I don't know if Penny can replace Carson as the #1 RB if Carson is healthy. Only because Carson is a full grown man and a helluva RB. But having a healthy Carson and Penny, coupled with an offense that prefers to run, could be the next National-cliche-media knee-jerk story line for the Seahawks in 2019.

I'm not sure how I feel about Marshall Faulk having the Seahawks play book.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Having those two is like having a boxer with both a great jab AND a great roundhouse right. Awesome one two punch that combined with our Bulldozing O line and dynamic receiver corp and oh yeah a pretty good qb should make for some fun viewing this season.....
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:20 pm
Having those two is like having a boxer with both a great jab AND a great roundhouse right. Awesome one two punch that combined with our Bulldozing O line and dynamic receiver corp and oh yeah a pretty good qb should make for some fun viewing this season.....
I think the offense is going to be explosive.

tharder wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about Marshall Faulk having the Seahawks play book.
What's wrong with that?